Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 15, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #11,416 of 42,765
For there to be an audible difference due to the device itself there would need to be digital signal processing. That said the noise and jitter could be introduced by the digital output and in the connection cable.  I personally have not heard differences between sources that don't do any processing but others seem to be able to distinguish sources.  Something must be going on.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #11,418 of 42,765
  For there to be an audible difference due to the device itself there would need to be digital signal processing. That said the noise and jitter could be introduced by the digital output and in the connection cable.  I personally have not heard differences between sources that don't do any processing but others seem to be able to distinguish sources.  Something must be going on.

I agree with you completely. I guess my point is that a transport should not be doing anything to the original data file, just passing it along. Who knows though....

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #11,419 of 42,765
  I agree with you completely. I guess my point is that a transport should not be doing anything to the original data file, just passing it along. Who knows though....

Are you trying to disappoint people that buy most expencive transports they can afford? Is it nice?
Transports and cables can also make a huge difference, proportionally to the price.
Bits are not just bits, there is digital decay, dust, etc. and a real audiophile know better.

"Who knows though....." - global warming is also a theory.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #11,420 of 42,765

I'll go on assuming all transports are the same until someone does some serious testing and can show there's an audible difference.

For now, my Galaxy S4 does the trick.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #11,421 of 42,765

Are you trying to disappoint people that buy most expencive transports they can afford? Is it nice?
Transports and cables can also make a huge difference, proportionally to the price.
Bits are not just bits, there is digital decay, dust, etc. and a real audiophile know better.

No, bavinck's remark wasn't trying to disappoint anyone who likes to buy expensive source components. It was a simple, honest statement.

It sounds as though you want to buy something more expensive than a cheap DAP or generic smartphone, and do not like to hear people say that these can perform just as well, with a DAC-Amp, as an extremely overpriced AK120ii.

If you want to pay over a thousand bucks for an AK120ii, then no-one is stopping you - it will supply the necessary output to feed Mojo just fine. There are many happy Mojo owners who chose the AK100, and find it performs superbly, so, unless iRiver went backwards with the design of the AK120ii...

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #11,422 of 42,765
Why would DAPs sound different if all the decoding/amplifying/volume changes take place inside the Mojo

I've played extensively with all types of transports to feed mojo, they all sound different, coax/usb/optical... Either way there is a difference between all dap /smartphones /source players

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #11,423 of 42,765
I've played extensively with all types of transports to feed mojo, they all sound different, coax/usb/optical... Either way there is a difference between all dap /smartphones /source players

The question is not can you hear a difference. The question is can you explain why you hear and difference and prove with evidence it is a real difference you are hearing?

Not going to say you are wrong in your subjective experience, that might get me lynched lol. But, I will ask you to provide some objective evidence to support your experience. This is not merely a subjective vs objective argument. I believe strongly in what my ears tell me. However, lots of new people buying Mojo should not be encouraged to spend a lot of money on a special dap that has no objective support for the need.

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #11,424 of 42,765
No, bavinck's remark wasn't trying to disappoint anyone who likes to buy expensive source components. It was a simple, honest statement.

It sounds as though you want to buy something more expensive than a cheap DAP or generic smartphone, and do not like to hear people say that these can perform just as well, with a DAC-Amp, as an extremely overpriced AK120ii.

If you want to pay over a thousand bucks for an AK120ii, then no-one is stopping you - it will supply the necessary output to feed Mojo just fine. There are many happy Mojo owners who chose the AK100, and find it performs superbly, so, unless iRiver went backwards with the design of the AK120ii...

Yes, this is the Spirit of my intention.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #11,426 of 42,765

Note 4 user here:

FORZA can make one ($60.00)

I'm surprised Matt has made this as twisted pair rather than coaxial. I'm sure it is more flexible the way it is, but it provides no RF shielding.
  Thanks Hawaiibadboy  I will try Forza as AT is only available in US. One more question is US Pro or Onkyo player really needed or I can play via poweramp player or google music. thanks.

Could be worth asking the question raised above before ordering - maybe in such a short length it's not so important...

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #11,427 of 42,765

Thanks a lot for your honest feedback, much appreciated 
wink.gif

Hey again. i was left thinking after my last post. I think it needed rethinking in one part.

Where I said," ......the Mojo. There's a clearer view but it's just a bit less emotive and sometimes slightly boring.
I added;
(Boring is the wrong word though: the Mojo is less solid sounding than the thick sounding ME. On the ME, buzzy sounds are more buzzy.)

It's a strange relationship between the Mojo and the Meridian Explorer. When I switch to the ME I like it's more solid sound, but it takes time to re-adjust. I can also hear there is less detail, but I think, "Yeah but I like the slightly thicker and slightly wetter sound". Then I think I prefer the ME.

However when I switch back to the Mojo, the detail strikes. It leaves the ME sounding kind of fuzzy. Then I think, "How could I live without the Mojo?". (Followed sometimes by, "I knew I should have bought the Hugo".

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #11,429 of 42,765
The question is not can you hear a difference. The question is can you explain why you hear and difference and prove with evidence it is a real difference you are hearing?

Not going to say you are wrong in your subjective experience, that might get me lynched lol. But, I will ask you to provide some objective evidence to support your experience. This is not merely a subjective vs objective argument. I believe strongly in what my ears tell me. However, lots of new people buying Mojo should not be encouraged to spend a lot of money on a special dap that has no objective support for the need.

I don't know how to go about proving it to you, I wish I knew a way, I tried all types of Samsung, Apple, LG, Motorola smartphones over the same usb cable, at same volume with onkyo (bitperfect) setting, with my se846, some devices are similar but all are different, to me note 5 provided the cleanest nicest sound, so pleasing over LG v10, LG g3, note 4, s5, dx90, dx80, dx80, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s+.
Note 5 was just thr nicest clearest, purest real sound, idk how to prove it, it is what sounded best to Me.

With thay said, I continue to use dx80 (probably the 4th best sounding out of all other devices I've tested) due to its portability form factor and it not being a phone

(all phones were put on airplane mode when testing) music was mp3 320 and flac 16/44.1. Played off the Onkyo player with bitperfect. Used the same songs thst I am familiar with in every test.

But to prove it to you... U want me to get a notary?

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #11,430 of 42,765
I don't know how to go about proving it to you, I wish I knew a way, I tried all types of Samsung, Apple, LG, Motorola smartphones over the same usb cable, at same volume with onkyo (bitperfect) setting, with my se846, some devices are similar but all are different, to me note 5 provided the cleanest nicest sound, so pleasing over LG v10, LG g3, note 4, s5, dx90, dx80, dx80, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s+.
Note 5 was just thr nicest clearest, purest real sound, idk how to prove it, it is what sounded best to Me.

With thay said, I continue to use dx80 (probably the 4th best sounding out of all other devices I've tested) due to its portability form factor and it not being a phone

(all phones were put on airplane mode when testing) music was mp3 320 and flac 16/44.1. Played off the Onkyo player with bitperfect. Used the same songs thst I am familiar with in every test.

But to prove it to you... U want me to get a notary?

Lol, that's kinda my point. Theoretically, in the absence of noise inducing connects (like usb) there really is not reason for them to sound different. Contrary to some beliefs, bit and indeed bits. Now, certainly some connects are more susceptible to rfi and such which might make one sound better than another.

In the event that devices do sound different and it is not noise, it could be adding some kind of distortion into the signal through processing (which it should not be doing) . However, if this is occurring it is possible that a more distorted signal might be more pleasing to you, appearing as clean and more clear artificially. You do not have anyway of knowing which signal is closest to the original file and may be fooled into thinking a modified signal sounds better. This is all assuming each transport is modifying the signal in a unique way, and even if it sounds good we should really not consider that a proper transport as we want all out signal modulation to occur within the Mojo.

I do believe that you are hearing differences. Which one is a true signal? You can know. Could be any number of reasons. I don't hear differences between all my signals, but I am also skeptical of it and not really given much time and attention to the issue.

Notary not required lol, but an electrical or computer engineer should be able to explain why this is occurring if it is a real thing in theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back