Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 13, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #11,296 of 42,765
I out my note 3 right on top of my operating Mojo. Note 3 is very bad for interference, happens with all my portables. No interference with all emr types running from the note 3. I agree with the wow. Not sure why you guys are getting so much radio interference.

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #11,297 of 42,765
Actually I just tested my iPod Touch 6th generation and iPhone 6s plus stacked on top of my Mojo. With the iPod turned on the wifi and backed it up to iCloud so it would be communicating to see if I could detect any interference. With my iPhone I engaged location services while listening to test.

I have always assumed like all other portable amplifiers I have owned I would hear RFI interference. With both iDevices I do not hear any interference either when a song is playing or paused. WOW

I out my note 3 right on top of my operating Mojo. Note 3 is very bad for interference, happens with all my portables. No interference with all emr types running from the note 3. I agree with the wow. Not sure why you guys are getting so much radio interference.

I bet you it has to do with location, carrier, and signal strength then.

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #11,298 of 42,765
  I tried using a shielded cable with same result, though?

AND when using RWAK100 + Optical to Mojo as a stock, if that stack is near my iPhone (foot away), I hear RFI.

Yes, a screened cable (or an optical cable, instead) will make RF interference less likely, but it's not absolutely bulletproof - if your iPhone is really belting-out a lot of RFI (I don't know the signal quality in your area), then that's more likely to cause problems that push the limits of even quite decent shielding. Having said that, it might be worth you applying a seperate choke to your existing (non-optical) cable, to see if that helps (they're very cheap), even though it's unlikely, if your phone is pumping out enough signal to interfere even when the AK + optical combo is in use.

No one (not even John or Rob, from Chord) is denying that there are some circumstances in which Mojo may experience RFI issues. It's unfortunate, but RFI is not something one can easily eliminate in 100% of usage scenarios.

The majority of Mojo users either experience zero, or negligible RFI, or manage to find a comfortable compromise in terms of using well-shielded cables, switching their phone to airplane mode whenever near their Mojo, or managing to keep it sufficiently far away from their Mojo to prevent interference.

If you find you really can't keep your iPhone away from your Mojo stack, then I respect that, and I concede that it might be a legitimate problem for you, that might prompt you to find an alternative DAC-Amp. Hopefully, that won't be the case, but if you find yourself in that small percentage of users, then no denials, and no hard feelings - perhaps something else may be a better fit for you, although please bear in mind that many competing products are also not 100% immune to RFI.   Unfortunately, life just isn't perfect
popcorn.gif

I hope you find a workable compromise
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #11,303 of 42,765
Received this cable today, but it's not working between mojo and dx80...

As you can see light is passing through adapter.. Mojo doesn't play anything... What could be wrong

Optical can be fussy. Just because you can see light, doesn't necessarily mean that the signal is pure. I have plenty of cables that can't transmit at higher data rates for 24 bit audio.
To rule out cable problems, you'll need to find other devices to connect at each end to see if they work. If all is ok, you then need to rule out the dx80 and Mojo one by one.

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #11,304 of 42,765

Also: have you even tried using an iPhone connected via CCK or shorter lightning before claiming that their is no RF noise?

Even Chord acknowledges this.

I have tried. I use CCK occasionally, with iPhone 6s, iPad mini 2nd generation and iPad Air.

Just spent last 20 min trying to extract my own RF noise out of Mojo and iPhone, still nothing. Tried top, bottom all angles, with music playing and without.

iPhone set to  - No airplane mode, connected to WIFI and AT&T network, CCK into this cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B7EKPS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Tell me or show me what to try and I will try and report back.

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #11,305 of 42,765
I have tried. I use CCK occasionally, with iPhone 6s, iPad mini 2nd generation and iPad Air.

Just spent last 20 min trying to extract my own RF noise out of Mojo and iPhone, still nothing. Tried top, bottom all angles, with music playing and without.

iPhone set to  - No airplane mode, connected to WIFI and AT&T network, CCK into this cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B7EKPS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

What iPhone model are you using? LTE? How many signal bars? In a house?

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #11,307 of 42,765

Turn off LTE or 3G... It'll be obvious. I didn't hear any RF/EMI unless I turned it to 2G/Edge.

I also did a test with the iPhone on 2G and when it was far enough away from the Mojo to not cause an issue then I moved the iPhone closer to the headphone cable (near my chin 3ft from the Mojo) and the noise became clear as it was closer to the headphone cable, but the same distance from the Mojo. In this case the headphone cable was an antennae receiving the RF/EMI. This with using optical input from an AK player.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #11,308 of 42,765
Turn off LTE or 3G... It'll be obvious. I didn't hear any RF/EMI unless I turned it to 2G/Edge.

I also did a test with the iPhone on 2G and when it was far enough away from the Mojo to not cause an issue then I moved the iPhone closer to the headphone cable (near my chin 3ft from the Mojo) and the noise became clear as it was closer to the headphone cable, but the same distance from the Mojo. In this case the headphone cable was an antennae receiving the RF/EMI. This with using optical input from an AK player.

Weird - I have RF/EMI with LTE. I suppose it depends on radio frequencies too?

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #11,309 of 42,765
Weird - I have RF/EMI with LTE. I suppose it depends on radio frequencies too?

There are many different variables. It's not a perfect world, especially when dealing with wireless transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back