Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 11, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #9,031 of 42,765
  With the two 3.5mm outs, do I get volume matching when I insert two headphones with different sensitivities and impedances? 

No. Each HP will operate at their own levels. So for example if having IEM's and HD800 connected, at level that suit the IEM's you would not hear much on the HD800's or worse if you were to listen at levels acceptable on the HD800's you would probably do serious damage if you tried to use the IEM's

Quote:
  Will it sound good with sensitive IEMs or headphones?

IMO yes.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #9,032 of 42,765
  No. Each HP will operate at their own levels. So for example if having IEM's and HD800 connected, at level that suit the IEM's you would not hear much on the HD800's or worse if you were to listen at levels acceptable on the HD800's you would probably do serious damage if you tried to use the IEM's

Thanks. Is there any workaround so that another person with different headphones can enjoy output from the same Mojo at the same time as I am, with volume matching?

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #9,033 of 42,765

Thanks. Is there any workaround so that another person with different headphones can enjoy output from the same Mojo at the same time as I am, with volume matching?

You would need a volume control (variable inline resistor) on the cable with the most efficient headphone.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #9,036 of 42,765
It is custom made, you can make it without the flap(tight fit) or the flap blocking the 2 USB ports. I personally don't need coaxial and optical hence the way it is.
It's only $30, you can always buy a few different designs in case you change transport in the future.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #9,037 of 42,765
95% of my listening is done via FLAC/DSD's. I have a tidal subscription also, which is fine, and useful for background listening or quick listens to new stuff. Many reasons to listen to offline via DAP or PC including:

1) Don't like  interface, ergonomics, aesthetics of phone for music listening

I agree

2) Don't like interruptions of phone

I agree

3) Don't like the drop outs experienced as soon as I start using the internet for anything but music listening (and be at the mercy of internet speed)

I agree

4) Don't like the interference of phone signal

I agree
5) Like the ability to "own" music

Not as important to me at it once were; the flat per-month fee creates an incentive tonexperiment with more new music since the incremental cost is zero. Our children have their own taste in music, so the legacy value is small.

6) Like the ability to classify and organise my music how I want to; its also a nostalgia thing, collection of rips of cd's going back to 1980's!

I agree

7) Like the ability to chase after specific masters and enjoy differences between mutiple masters of my choosing

I would expect any phone or connected DAP can accommodate many versions; I play Hi Res through Onkyo' player in my iPhine

8) Like the ability to have my collection with me when I go abroad

I agree, and is the reason I want a DAP.. But one that is connected so I can take my Tidal off-line content with me.

9) Like the physical buttons on the DAP, makes blind use possible and very useful (eg when driving, or walking and the device is in a pocket)

I agree, buttons have their advantages.

And ref the offline mode for Tidal, it's only available to portable devices as far as I know and 128gb or even 200gb doesn't go far these days.

Exactly the reason I am looking for a dedicated DAP so I need not share it with my other media.

These are just the "quick reasons" off the top of my head.

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #9,038 of 42,765
FWIW, I find Mojo to be magical on redbook and 256/320kbs mp3s. The theory was that those sampling rates should be good enough, and Mojo shows that with the right dac, maybe they are

There's some merit in this.  Mojo is able to wring every last drop of quality out of whatever it's given and the results I've found with iTunes AAC are pretty good, better even than lossless with a ****tier DAC.  Of course, that doesn't mean I'm happy with compressed music when I can get CD or even higher quality for the same price or less (as is often the case).

Obsessive audiophiles want the best.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #9,043 of 42,765

There's some merit in this.  Mojo is able to wring every last drop of quality out of whatever it's given and the results I've found with iTunes AAC are pretty good, better even than lossless with a ****tier DAC.  Of course, that doesn't mean I'm happy with compressed music when I can get CD or even higher quality for the same price or less (as is often the case).

Obsessive audiophiles want the best.

Of course, Mojo + mp3 at 320 will sound better than FLAC + a bad dac/amp of the same song. 

I will still use lossless versions of everything I am able to fiind in lossless (some music is exceptionally hard to fiind)

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #9,045 of 42,765
Although CES has now come to an end, we had a lot of fun. One of our top moments was when Graham Nash entered the room and listened to Mojo. His words were 'I was in the studio with Neil Young when he recorded this... Now I'm back in the room'.​
 ​
Stereophile covers this excellent moment with a dedicated article: http://www.stereophile.com/content/graham-nash-tries-out-audeze-el-8-headphones-and-chord-mojo#4LIvyd3bP0sspyI0.97​
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back