Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 7, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #6,391 of 42,765
  According to the DR Database, the standard CD of 25 has a Dynamic range of 5... 
basshead.gif

Similarly 21 was a terrible CD album in its dynamic range compression. And right from the get go I could not even listen to "Rolling in The Deep" *once* because 1) first of all Adele is shouting when she sings no wonder she needed vocal chord surgery and 2) the DR compression is so extreme that it HURT to listen to the album.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #6,392 of 42,765
Have to ask an obvious question...

Are you definitely plugging the microUSB into the correct socket on the Mojo (one is for charging, and the other is for data)

Yes sir I am , as I said it used to work fine before.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #6,393 of 42,765
In case some of you might experience clipping or pop-ups with the supplied micro usb cable that came with Mojo, i'm very happy with this new cable and i don't experience any more of the pop noises.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016VIG5ZI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages01  Also i said that HD-800 and Mojo is a match made in heaven, now i can say the same about AKG 812 pro, incredible sound.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #6,394 of 42,765
To add onto the comments by xtr4:

Definitely audition with the music you like cos it's your personal enjoyment.

So far I like using the Chord Mojo the most when listening to well-mastered vocalist stuff.

I think I get what reviewers and users mean when they remark that the soundstage seems narrower yet deeper when songs are played via the Mojo. I get a similar impression in the sense that the vocals seem more "forward". I don't mean sibilance or harshness, I mean the sense that the voice is being projected.

So I am really enjoying various CDs by vocalists. Happy to take a bit more time to now convert some of my fave vocalist albums to FLAC.

I also find the increase in detail and timing, especially when it comes to transients and drums, cymbals, hi-hats etc very impressive. But it's no something I want to emphasise too much because when listening to rock bands I wanna enjoy each song rather than concentrate on hearing the transients.

But really the Mojo is impressive for its price. Lots of times I get distracted cos I am like "wow! I never heard that detail before?!" and its a bit scary if I am walking on the street!

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #6,395 of 42,765
  To add onto the comments by xtr4:

Definitely audition with the music you like cos it's your personal enjoyment.

So far I like using the Chord Mojo the most when listening to well-mastered vocalist stuff.

I think I get what reviewers and users mean when they remark that the soundstage seems narrower yet deeper when songs are played via the Mojo. I get a similar impression in the sense that the vocals seem more "forward". I don't mean sibilance or harshness, I mean the sense that the voice is being projected.

So I am really enjoying various CDs by vocalists. Happy to take a bit more time to now convert some of my fave vocalist albums to FLAC.

I also find the increase in detail and timing, especially when it comes to transients and drums, cymbals, hi-hats etc very impressive. But it's no something I want to emphasise too much because when listening to rock bands I wanna enjoy each song rather than concentrate on hearing the transients.

But really the Mojo is impressive for its price. Lots of times I get distracted cos I am like "wow! I never heard that detail before?!" and its a bit scary if I am walking on the street!

Perceived width is actually an aberration - so when image focus improves, the sensation of width diminishes. Its akin to looking at an image out of focus, then seeing it suddenly in focus - the size of the image gets smaller but you can see things much more accurately. Another way of looking at is perspective. If an instrument gets deeper into the sound stage, it naturally goes back and apparently decreases in width. So when you improve instrument placement focus in the sound stage, the perception of width will decrease.

There is an exception to this rule, in that you can encode sounds to sound wider than the loudspeakers, but this effect (replicating the phase delays and resonances of the earlobes and changing the left right phase) can increase width beyond the loudspeakers - it can also be used to encode height. But these effects are very rare and a bit hit and miss. Its these resonances and phase delays that allow binaural recordings on headphones to work. In this case, when image placement improves, then you get an increase in width and height - but as I said, these effects are very rarely found.

Rob

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #6,396 of 42,765
Perceived width is actually an aberration - so when image focus improves, the sensation of width diminishes. Its akin to looking at an image out of focus, then seeing it suddenly in focus - the size of the image gets smaller but you can see things much more accurately. Another way of looking at is perspective. If an instrument gets deeper into the sound stage, it naturally goes back and apparently decreases in width. So when you improve instrument placement focus in the sound stage, the perception of width will decrease.

There is an exception to this rule, in that you can encode sounds to sound wider than the loudspeakers, but this effect (replicating the phase delays and resonances of the earlobes and changing the left right phase) can increase width beyond the loudspeakers - it can also be used to encode height. But these effects are very rare and a bit hit and miss. Its these resonances and phase delays that allow binaural recordings on headphones to work. In this case, when image placement improves, then you get an increase in width and height - but as I said, these effects are very rarely found.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I learn new concepts almost every time you post. If I may ask you a question: 90% of the music I listen to is metal, 5% is classical and for those genres the mojo is exceptional. ~5% is rap/hip hop . When I listen to rap/hip-hop I like to crank the bass til I FEEL it. Mojo has very detailed bass but lacks this thump. If I eq more sub-bass thump in Onkyo HF-am I degrading sound quality due to the increased processing on the iPhone 5? I've noticed the experts tend to get "bent-out-of-shape" when one mentions using EQ. Thanks again.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #6,397 of 42,765

Rob

It's extremely rare that I ever listen to it these days (now that I'm a 'grown-up' 
wink.gif
), but whenever I hear Madonna's 'Immaculate Collection', played through loudspeakers, it always amuses me how absurdly over-the-top they went, with the 'Q-Sound' effects (www.ew.com/article/1990/12/14/immaculate-collections-qsound) - there are contrived bits & pieces of sound all over the place, in the aural soundscape:

Some examples of excessive phase manipulation can be found on Simple Minds' 'Real Life' album. I actually think it's one of their better albums (maybe their best), but they went a bit too far with the sound trickery, one example of which is the synth percussion in the track 'Woman':

and the distant voices at the beginning of the track 'Banging on the Door':

But the extent isn't so obvious when listening with headphones.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #6,399 of 42,765
Please does anyone know why when using Foobar why the first half-second or second of audio is missing? Was the there a proper fix? Is it a driver issue? I know that the suggestion was to use JRiver, however it costs money.

Does anyone know what other software works with the Mojo. E.g. Windows Media Player.

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #6,401 of 42,765
  For me, regardless what the DSD setting is, either I get nothing or staccato / choppy music if I tried any DSD playback either native or upsampled.  I remembered this had happened before when the iFi Nano iDSD came out.  It was the result of USB 3 port compatibility issues.  I suspect for my case, this is the issue.  It took a few firmware update for iFi to eventually fix it.  May be Chord can look into this. 

Yea I had a similar problem with my iFi micro iDSD on my ASUS motherboard, where it becomes choppy on the intel USB3.0 ports, but works fine on the ASMEDIA USB3.0 ports. There were no difference in the power draw or conflict with other devices connected etc, so I never figured out the root cause.

Maybe Mojo has a similar thing for some people's computer, thought I found it to be less picky than the iFi myself.

One funny thing I noticed on Windows is that Mojo and iFi never works when both are plugged into the same computer. Regardless of which device I choose on JRiver, it just freezes. As soon as I physically unplug the iFi, Mojo starts to play music fine. It's weird.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #6,402 of 42,765
Hello, guys, What do you think how Chord Mojo pairs with Fostex THX-00 Headphones. And what cables I should buy to connect Mojo to my Galaxy S5 and THX-00?

With my TH-900s I prefer the sound with a 2dB cut in both bass and treble. If you mean the new Fostex cans that Massdrop have just produced then early impressions seem to be that they're less pronounced in the bass and treble anyway.

Having said that It's worth noting that I hate bright and/or boomy Hifi so many other people probably wouldn't bother to use equalisation.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #6,404 of 42,765
Never could listen to Adel's albums because of the terrible producing/mastering. I didn't even venture to listen to Adel with the Mojo.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #6,405 of 42,765
  Not familiar with Foobar but if you want a decent free player have you tried Vox ?

I haven't tried the Mojo yet. It's still here sealed up.  Since I want to use it often at my desk I want to be sure it will work without issues. Otherwise I will return it.

All my music is ripped to PC in FLAC format using Sony's Media Go. However I understand that Media Go will not work with the Mojo. Something to do with ASIO.

Foobar I don't use much. I can never seem to able to able to make the albums just show up as tiles to choose from. I get stupid titles like Playlitst 1, playlist 2. I am asking of other folk have fixed it.

In my trecks around Head-Fi I found other software which could be tried:

Exact Audio Copy
dBpoweramp

They might be worth a go for Mojo users. Apprently they have good error detection or correction or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back