Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 7, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #4,306 of 42,765
  I think of warmer sounding equipment as being closer to hearing sounds naturally. I think sound has a warm profile. Eg bird-song is not cold or clinical like some audio equipment. I think most sound has a warm texture. (I guess that's why sometimes you can fall asleep listening to sounds in a warm bubble.)

When listening to bird song, I agree it is not cold and clinical, but then neither is any neutral sound :wink:.

However, I don't have many nature albums.​ But I do listen to quite a few bands up close in local venues. When I am near a drummer, a struck cymbal sounds quite clinical and many would say harsh, but that is how it sounds. I like to get this sound when I hear a live or studio recording, but I feel so much equipment now rolls off this impact, creating a warm cosy sound.  Maybe this is to appeal to people who have grown up on mp3s, streaming, bass heavy headphones from you-know-who and generally an intolerance to crisp treble of the digital age.

I heard the respected Oppo PM3 headphones and couldn't believe the warm cosy sound with so little impact. They had a lovely sweet midrange, but overall not for me, if I hear a rock band, they got to rock! Great for those who want that type of lush sound.

I thank Chord for producing some of the most natural, neutral equipment available, starting at the bargain price Mojo, the amazing Hugo, and the fantastic sounding TT. I feel only the Mojo has the slightest bit of warmth, if a few people find that clinical, they are probably looking at the wrong brand.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #4,307 of 42,765
I just used bird-song as an example. For me though anything would do. Like the acoutics guitar. However that's my opinion and I am not saying it's right. I just find sound has a warm nature.

I have no dispute either with the Hugo. I have the Mojo here unopened and am still deliberating returning and taking a Hugo. (Or I might just stick with my Meridian Explorer for a while, because it's a beautiful smooth sounding DAC.)

[Just throwing this out there. Listen to Tanita Tikaram - Preyed Upon. Last track on her Ancient Heart album. It has nice cymbals. I love the line she sings, "I need time... to complicate you".]

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #4,308 of 42,765
Listening to jazz vocal with X5ii + Mojo + Weston W40. Sounds good and satisfying. Detailed with clean sound, full bodied, and a bit bassy in a good musical way and doesn't over power other frequency range. Just a slight treble roll off which is ok that it's not fatiguing. But the roll off is more apparent with Beyerdynamic T51p making it too bottom heavy for my liking.

The Mojo has zero difference in bass but the roll off in the highs are correct. I measured my Mojo with RMAA and my Harmony 8 Pro IEM (the slight bass roll off is only from my cheap sound card for recording the signal, in real world is the bass straight):

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #4,310 of 42,765
  What is comparable to the Mojo Dac? Since I'm familiar with Schiit Gear: Bifrost Uber or Bifrost Multibit, or Gungnir Multibit? 

the only real world comparison is Hugo, Hugo-TT or Dave, hth...
normal_smile .gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #4,312 of 42,765
The Grado 325i you referenced, are these new? I have searched and I see loads of mentions of the 325e. I did see a model number 325is.

Your enlightenment would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

I now feel like some type of guru... I was told it was the 325i but he probably meant the new 325e, he's a busy guy but I will get clarification next time I speak to him. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #4,314 of 42,765
  Well my Mojo has landed, after a charge and a quick listen I am grinning from ear to ear.

I will be doing some serious listening tests over the next couple of days in my three rigs described below.

Portable Rig

Macbook Pro
Mojo
Beyer T70p

Desktop Rig

Macbook Pro
Mojo
Beyer A20
Beyer T1

Main HiFi

Macbook Pro & Trichord CD Player as transports
Naim 5si
Kef LS50

I think the Mojo in going to work very well in my Main Hifi, let's see!

How does the t1 sound with the Mojo I have the T1 and a Mojo on the way so Id be interested hearing your thoughts.

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #4,315 of 42,765
  [Just throwing this out there. Listen to Tanita Tikaram - Preyed Upon. Last track on her Ancient Heart album. It has nice cymbals. I love the line she sings, "I need time to complicate you".]

I remember buying that Album when it first came out from Our Price Music in Eltham, weirdly I used to remember the shops I used to buy my tunes in... now I just buy from Amazon, not as much fun as spending hours in a record-shop and walking out with nish but never feeling disappointed.

ps... wonderful album, she went backwards after it imho.

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #4,319 of 42,765
Yes thanks I already know that as I have a Macbook Pro. Thinking of replacing my iPad with one of the new Macbook's as they are very thin & light but looks like they don't have optical out. Hopefully the USB C to USB adapter works ok with Mojo.

Received a Mojo yesterday and gave it an extreme workout using a retina MacBook with the USB C adapter. No connectivity issues and the performance was top notch. Used Audirvana for the most part and some iTunes. I have a small number of DSD files and used the included coupon to download some 256 files. Glad I got the MacBook with the 1.3 processor and 512 GB storage. It has all the needed capability and as it is fan less, runs in total silence. If you go in that direction you will probably be very pleased.

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #4,320 of 42,765
  Hi John,

For those of us not all that technically minded would you mind briefly explaining a bit more about what the function of the regulator is and what problems it might pose if faulty (if any) aside from the noise mentioned?

I know you say that any noise coming directly from the Mojo isn't normal but are we talking within normal earshot or even at very close range? In use, whether charging or not, I notice a slight high pitched 'chirruping' from mine (a bit like a low RPM PC fan) but only with the Mojo pressed directly against my ear. Presuming this is normal?

Thank you. 

@ Mojo ideas

Hi John,

I've now returned my Mojo for another reason (may be entirely unconnected) but would still much appreciate some more info on the regulator issue. It would help me decide whether to go for a replacement or not and hopefully also prove useful to others owners in terms of ascertaining whether their Mojo is affected or not.

Best,
Mark

ps. Congrats on the Mojo. The plaudits are well deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back