Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #13,397 of 42,765

Allow me to proffer an explanation, if I may:

Would you apply/suggest that explanation to this specific report or to any/most report regarding optical cables?

Joking aside, here is an interesting post from earlier in this very thread, that you may find relevant:

still wondering if it could be the cables i am using, one of them plays the 24/176 music sample from the AK PLAYERS and the other 2 dont all three dont play 192,I have a sysconcept cable coming this week hopefully that will solve the mystery.

Just a reminder to those people who are suffering with TOSLINK optical digital cables.

The cable quality (not price) makes a big difference, as well as the bend angle. (as much as the optical transmistter quality of the DAP).
The TOSLINK standard was originally only intended for up to 96kHz on the cheap single core plastic fibre cables, which is what most audio optical cables use, unlike the graded/multi-strand glass fibre on expensive data cables.

The older and cheaper TOSLINK cables have terrible tip roughness that also limits the max rate that it can safely feed. Even the expensive cables started having pop noises above 88.2kHz. Some of those I got to work at 192kHz by polishing the end cap, but not all were successful.

I can't recommend any particular brand of TOSLINK cable, and it's hard to tell because most of those cable makers don't make their own brand of cables anyway.

Attached are some photos I took many years ago FYI.

Some people seem to get lucky with cheap optical cables, but plenty of people have found that their cheap cable fails to transmit 24/192 reliably, hence my joke about it being roulette.

I suppose you could try a cheap one from, say, Amazon, and take advantage of their returns policy if it doesn't work properly.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #13,398 of 42,765
It's strange: when I listen Noble K10 with P90SD, the sound is warm, smooth but with Mojo it is harsh and dry. When I listen my R70X with P90SD I get the same sound like my K10 but with Mojo the sound is neutral, balance. Could you please help me to explain what's happen? Is Mojo better with headphone than IEM ?

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #13,399 of 42,765
  I have had the Mojo for about a month now and am just loving it to bits. It really makes a big difference to the sound of just about anything I own. From my AK100 to my iphone, from crappy IEMs to full sized headphones. Amazing little thing!

I have one little "issue" though: I travel a lot and have to keep my Mojo and my headphones in my flight bag most of the day. I have had a couple of incidents where the Mojo battery is completely drained when I finally get to enjoy it after the working day. I quickly found out that the unit itself is OK, but it is accidently switched on when carried around in my bag. Those big round balls (ahem) easily get depressed lying against the sidewalls of my bag.
I could of course put it in the paper box it came with, but it´s a little big and impractical. Wouldn´t it be great if there would be some kind of slick formfit plastic case for it? Or maybe a way to electronically lock it to prevent it from accidently switching on (like for example most modern travel shavers have).
Anybody else experienced this?

happened to me yesterday!  I haven't come up with a good solution yet...

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #13,404 of 42,765

love it!  I have a case for a portable Samsung SSD that's padded and fits pretty well that I am going to try tomorrow on a flight.  But since this problem is the odd occurrence that's not a very robust experimental design.  I will keep using the case until it happens again, or not...

I'm using a portable case from Zoom recorder for now until Chord Electronics releases a case.  I haven't had the power go on, so perhaps depending upon what you 'pad; it with. 

By the way, see what mojo does with the bass notes of the cello on this video.  It is something special:   http://www.amberrubarth.com/video (first video for bass) 

I wasn't familiar with the artist until I read a Mojo review that mentioned her.  On one album, the Mojo makes it sound as if the cajon is being played right behind your right ear.  Until I got used to it, I would forget and quickly look over my shoulder thinking there was a knock on the door!

Mojo is magic with bass.   The review that someone posted today said this very thing:  it can handle any bass thrown at it.  I went to Fleetwood Mac to hear what the reviewer heard and agree. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #13,406 of 42,765
Guys, im from the uk, the mojo is £400 here. Price is no joke for average joe considering alot of people dont make this money from a full week of work after tax, it takes some people two full weeks to make £400 after tax.

Im fortunate that I earn fairly good money and my life bills are low. However £400 is still £400 lol.

My current setup is s6 edge plus into hifimediy into cayin c5 into v moda crossfade wireless and soon to be sz1000... files are 320kb or less. How much difference would the mojo make in sound quality? Im also considering the hifiman he400i or audioquest nighthawk further down the line.

Id love feedback as I dont want to spend £400 on a slight improvement, I want a considerable one at that price. I can click buy right now on amazon I can afford it but I still dont want to be foolish or overly optimistic and feel let down.

My setup is the best ive heard, (probably not that great lol) ive never heard super high end audio equipment.

Cheers guys

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #13,407 of 42,765
Guys, im from the uk, the mojo is £400 here. Price is no joke for average joe considering alot of people dont make this money from a full week of work after tax, it takes some people two full weeks to make £400 after tax.

Im fortunate that I earn fairly good money and my life bills are low. However £400 is still £400 lol.

My current setup is s6 edge plus into hifimediy into cayin c5 into v moda crossfade wireless and soon to be sz1000... files are 320kb or less. How much difference would the mojo make in sound quality? Im also considering the hifiman he400i or audioquest nighthawk further down the line.

Id love feedback as I dont want to spend £400 on a slight improvement, I want a considerable one at that price. I can click buy right now on amazon I can afford it but I still dont want to be foolish or overly optimistic and feel let down.

Everything in the world of hi-fi is a case of 'diminishing returns', so a 10-50% improvement is negligible to some people's ears, but night-&-day to others, as though it was a 500% improvement.

If finances are tight, it's only sensible to make a little extra effort, to get some demo time, rather than just jumping-in (unless it proves impossible for one to find a demo).

Fortunately for you, you are in the UK, and you do have the option of a demo:

Quote:
  .... When I can afford it I will try and get a Mojo for a good listen. Is the only way to order from Amazon or does any UK dealer offer a loaner?

Regarding UK loaners of Mojo, Im actually not certain if any dealers offer that...

I'll ask.

We can offer this. Give us a call.

Best regards

PhilW can be contacted here

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #13,408 of 42,765
Everything in the world of hi-fi is a case of 'diminishing returns', so a 10-50% improvement is negligible to some people's ears, but night-&-day to others, as though it was a 500% improvement.

If finances are tight, it's only sensible to make a little extra effort, to get some demo time, rather than just jumping-in (unless it proves impossible for one to find a demo).

Fortunately for you, you are in the UK, and you do have the option of a demo:

PhilW can be contacted here

Cheers bud i really appreciate that! Its not even the fact finances are tight. I just recognise £400 is fairly hefty... I also do metal detecting as another hobby and that aint cheap either specially as my long awaited latest release is about to be launched lol.

I'll contact that guy now thanks alot

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #13,409 of 42,765

My setup is the best ive heard, (probably not that great lol) ive never heard super high end audio equipment.

Cheers guys

I agree, test your gear with the Mojo to see if you notice a worthwhile improvement. Off the bat I'd say your headphones are the weakest link to noticing an improvement.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #13,410 of 42,765
Cheers bud i really appreciate that! Its not even the fact finances are tight. I just recognise £400 is fairly hefty... I also do metal detecting as another hobby and that aint cheap either specially as my long awaited latest release is about to be launched lol.

I'll contact that guy now thanks alot

Take advantage of Amazons return policy if you don't care for the Mojo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back