Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 12, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #13,111 of 42,765
Can anyone who uses the Mojo with Shure SE535 or SE846 care to share your experiences? Or does anybody have any other IEM pairing recommendations? I'm a sucker for detail, but sometimes find myself craving a bit more 'body' for certain genres.

This question comes up every couple of days and it's so open ended that it's hard to recommend anything specific for the Mojo. Plus everyone will likely just chime in with their own favourite IEMs, which may not be your favourite. The short story is that the Mojo will pair very well within the capability of the IEM used. It's a very high performing DAC (easily the best at its price point) so really the better the IEM the easier you will notice it's performance.

My suggestion is to simply look around the IEM threads and ask about the quality of the IEMs with the signature you are looking for. That said I love the JH Angie pairing with the Mojo, it's very detailed, cohesive, clean and natural, plus I can dial the warmth up and down easily with the bass attenuators on the IEM cable. I also love the Noble K10, but it's slightly different than the Angie.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #13,112 of 42,765
i think on otg the phone doesn't process the music but only sending it to mojo for processing, so saying the dac of the phone doing a good job "might" not be true

He's saying the output of the phone vs the output of the Mojo, not the output of the phone to the Mojo.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #13,114 of 42,765
What a decent bitperfect source for mojo sub 80$?

Cheap androids just don't sound good

What's wrong with it? Have you tried V4A or any other alternate audio solutions like that?

If you have and still don't like it or just don't want to do Android I don't know if you have any options sub-$80 that can output audio over USB.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #13,115 of 42,765
What a decent bitperfect source for mojo sub 80$?

Cheap androids just don't sound good

Don't sound good in their digital output? Your question about using a Sansa Clip makes me think that you aren't clear on digital vs analog output. How a headphone output on an Android phone sounds has no relationship to how digital output sounds.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #13,116 of 42,765
Don't sound good in their digital output? Your question about using a Sansa Clip makes me think that you aren't clear on digital vs analog output. How a headphone output on an Android phone sounds has no relationship to how digital output sounds.

I wouldn't bother, you are not going to change what he thinks. You have been warned..... :)

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #13,118 of 42,765
I hesitated for so long to buy this little thingy.  I regret so much for delaying this decision.
This is seriously one of the best things that happened to DAC world.  Kudos to Rob Watts.
I have a fat ass Audiolab M-Dac behind me and i still prefer my mojo.  
My very first impression is that music sounds fuller, details come out more separated and more powerful.
Loving every bit of it. 
Last but definitely not least, I was a bit hesitant about the looks before seeing it, but this baby is super sexy :)

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #13,119 of 42,765
I love when cheap gear like the Monk or KZ ATE sounds stunning with the Mojo
biggrin.gif

you don't have to have expensive headphones to have fun listening. just an expensive dac/amp
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #13,122 of 42,765
Maybe higher end androids will have a nicer amp or DAC but that doesn't affect USB output. What makes you think certain Android will sound different from others?

Well I've tested tens of different devices with mojo, note 5 and v10 sound the best in the Android line up. All. With onkyo bitperfect, same OTG cable, while the others didn't sound bad, they sounded less clear and highs were lacking specifically.
I'm using the dx80 (which sounds inferior to note 5 and v10 (connected to mojo) ) but use it as it's better than the other androids I've used.

Just looming for a sub 100 or 80$ transport to use to with mojo exclusively and get rid of the dx80.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #13,123 of 42,765
Like I said I really don't think there are any options that cheap on the market or else I would have one instead of a cheap Android.

On another note, my Mojo has been plugged into a wall USB charger all day long. For a lot of today I was using the Mojo and was surprised when it shut off suddenly on me. I saw the charge light was on, and tried turning it back on twice, but it'd shut off in about 10 seconds.

Is this how it is supposed to behave? I thought leaving it on the charger would prevent it from running out of power...

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #13,125 of 42,765
Well I've tested tens of different devices with mojo, note 5 and v10 sound the best in the Android line up. All. With onkyo bitperfect, same OTG cable, while the others didn't sound bad, they sounded less clear and highs were lacking specifically.
I'm using the dx80 (which sounds inferior to note 5 and v10 (connected to mojo) ) but use it as it's better than the other androids I've used.

Just looming for a sub 100 or 80$ transport to use to with mojo exclusively and get rid of the dx80.

Do you think you are hearing anything like what Rob posted here in reply to you? Honestly, it's a difficult thing for others to reply as you seem to be in the minority in this regard, or perhaps the expectation bias is strong in your listening tests.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/11340#post_12341302

If you can find a sub $100 bit perfect transport with a decent interface and great storage with a variety of outputs please let us know. I think they are currently in the land of Unicorns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back