Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 24, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #11,882 of 42,765
Excellent as Tidal is it only provides 16 bit 44.1KHz, better known as CD quality. HD is usually deemed to be 24 bit. FLAC Player and Onkyo can both play HD on iOS. My preference is FLAC Player. But to be honest even the iTunes Player sounds decent with Chord equipment.

Ha, when I wrote "HD audio" (matching what was written by the original poster), I had some niggle in the back of my brain that it wasn't the right term to use, but when I searched my mental database for a more appropriate term, my brain came back with a "server busy; please try again later" response
tongue_smile.gif

In retrospect, I would have just said "lossless". I didn't know Tidal was 16 bit only though (although that's still a massive move in the right direction and good enough for many!).

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #11,883 of 42,765
Can someone please tell me how I can make my Mojo play music using the Hiby Music player on my ASUS Zenfone 5? I've tried playing music through the Onkyo Player and it works fine (I just selected the "USB device" option in the "Output" section of the settings menu). But I can't seem to find the same one in the Hiby Music player menu. Has anyone figured that out? I would appreciate any help.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #11,885 of 42,765
I've got another question. I've connected Mojo to my PC that has Windows 7 OS and been playing music through the Foobar player. But the Mojo's power button always stays red irrespective of whether it's a hi-res file or an "ordinary" file I'm listening to. Apparently, the system on my PC is messing with the frequency rate. Can someone please tell me how I can fix that?

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #11,886 of 42,765

For 600, you bet I had high expectations but is very provable that I had already reached the best one can get out of the se846
Maybe?  I dont know the the internals but in practice to me it went like this:

Iphone 6 (nor so great sound but serviceable) then I jumped to the HTC ONE (bad sound all around, I bought the FiiO E12A and increased the quality by a large margin) then back to the iphone 6s plus, since day one I was extremely surprised how well it sounded with the se846 without needing the FiiO and if I try to used it, I could not hear any positive difference, just some change in the sound signature

The thing is there probably are people with a similar set up to yours that have had their expectations met. I for example had Shure SE535's and I compared the Mojo on several separate extended sittings with the AK100, AK120 and AK240 and I noticed enough of a difference to justify my purchase. I then sought full sized headphones and again using my Mojo and Nexus 6 (via UAPP) and the AK players, compared Grado SR325e, Shure SRH1540, Audeze EL8 Open back again noticing enough difference to keep me happy.

You may already reached 'that' level, your "End Game" and may be looking for that last 10% that only you and your ears can discern.
I was moving on from the Fiio E18 and Nexus 6 to Mojo, Nexus 6 and UAPP so quite a leap in sound quality for me, but since purchasing my Mojo (before I was aware of this thread by the way), I have also had brief listening spells with my combination against other DAC and AMP set ups and although not scientific, none have left me wanting, when put up against my £399 Mojo. But this is just my own experience

PS what app are you using with your iPhone to play back Hi-Res files?

Having just listened to the 8 Ensembles in One bit Dsd256 in Jriver 21 through the Mojo and a pair of He-500's my mind is blown..  Absolutely amazing!

It was awesome to listen too, when I first got my Mojo, but that was with Shure SE535's has got better with each upgrade, Grado SR325e and the HD800.
It is a great recording and the Mojo IMO brings out all the finer detais

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #11,887 of 42,765

Ha, when I wrote "HD audio" (matching what was written by the original poster), I had some niggle in the back of my brain that it wasn't the right term to use, but when I searched my mental database for a more appropriate term, my brain came back with a "server busy; please try again later" response
tongue_smile.gif

In retrospect, I would have just said "lossless". I didn't know Tidal was 16 bit only though (although that's still a massive move in the right direction and good enough for many!).

If Meridian with their MQA and Tidal sort it out, on compatible players Tidal will be able to playback up to 24/192 all via streaming in theory although most likely to be 24/96

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #11,888 of 42,765
used 4mm inner dia cores with short coaxial cable between fiio x3 and mojo and on short USB cable between redmi s1 Android and mojo. redmi was used with uapp. I would say such a cheap upgrade yielded extremely positive results. now there is still cleaner background and slightest bit of harshness in vocals in some of the songs I heard is gone. as compared to Android fiio x3 coaxial route is very slightly warm as compared to redmi USB route. USB route via uapp is very slightly more open I would say. it will not matter in long run tough which transport I use. kudos to chord and team for such invention. I feel for portable use it can't be bettered at any price, such is the quality.

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #11,890 of 42,765
Listening to 'Scared' by The Hip which I haven't heard in ages. Its recording levels are quite high (no clipping thankfully) but after lowering the volume a bit I don't think I've heard this song so intimately before. The guitar plays beautifully from my CD ALAC rip through the Mojo. Good stuff. :D

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ieQH6X_XBJo[/VIDEO]

Just thought I'd share. :wink:

Edit: the YouTube video sounds terrible in comparison, lol!

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #11,891 of 42,765
After testing the Chord Mojo thoroughly this time, I could not join the club. It is simply too sharp for the Noble Audio PR. I guess the neutrality is not suitable for every IEM. This was echoed in most reviews, the colouration in the source>amp>output are determined mostly by the output, hence it will be the best purchase to bring out the potential, or the worst purchase that brings out the ugly side of the headphones.

Time to get different phones then.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #11,892 of 42,765

I tried the javascript remedy, not a thing about it when I get to block pop ups, so still cant use links on first page. Orfered a male b to male b. from USA, but still wont get it until march which isnt too good. Im not sure of whether the Hidizs AP100 supports on the go, the post for it contradicts itself. Just desperate to try somrthing. Im pissed off with chord big time, their measly power cable no good to man or beast, not a piece of litwerature with their £400 product, and they dont even tell you where the cables can be got,[please say if they can be found in Europe someone] and I haxe to search the globe for one. If this is not resolved tomorrow this useless gadget goes back to where it came from. To think I was so stupid and payed for express delivery, what a mug.

I hope you don’t send it back.
I bought my cable in the UK form this company http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-2-0-otg-cable-black-type-micro-b-to-micro-b-0-5m-p8517

Their webpage says the short cable is out of stock. They do have longer cables.
I asked them to notify me when I wanted to order mine. They turned it around in 3 days. Worth contacting them.

I kind of get your frustration ref: documentation. That said, few products come with manuals these days as Companies like to get you to the latest version on their website. For what it’s worth, the link is here.
http://chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/manual/Mojo-User-Manual.pdf

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #11,893 of 42,765
  I've got another question. I've connected Mojo to my PC that has Windows 7 OS and been playing music through the Foobar player. But the Mojo's power button always stays red irrespective of whether it's a hi-res file or an "ordinary" file I'm listening to. Apparently, the system on my PC is messing with the frequency rate. Can someone please tell me how I can fix that?

You are playing music out over the windows direct sound driver. You need to add the wasapi plugin to Foobar then set foobar to use the wasapi output instead of the direct sound. You should be able to google around and find guides on "setting up wasapi with foobar" otherwise you are going through the windows mixer which resamples audio to whatever your playback device is set to.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #11,895 of 42,765

I assume you have installed the necessary Mojo driver?

I use Foobar and it works fine.

I have the AP100 and I believe it does not support on-the-go

I use the AP100 digital coaxial output into the Mojo.

The Mojo benefits from burn-in no matter what people say! IMO

The jury is still out as to whether I will keep it or not but it does grow on you - which I put down to burn-in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back