Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 20, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,141 of 42,765
  Why did you do that? 
blink.gif

That sir is a very good question. suffice to say, I won't be doing it again! 
redface.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,142 of 42,765
Picked up my Mojo yesterday. Only been able to listen for a few hours thus far but have to say I'm very impressed with it so far. Any concerns I had that it might be a bit bright, sterile or brash sounding have been well and truly allayed.

Using my Pandora the background is completely black with zero hiss and I'm amazed with just how much fine volume control I have. Should be well suited to pretty much any super sensitive IEM or headphone I'd imagine.

I also got a chance to hook it up to my Xperia Z2 (via the bundled Sony OTG cable) and was surprised that Tidal works just fine without the need for any third party apps. Did notice that the bitrate indicator on the Mojo was blue (176) rather than red (44) so presumably the phone must be up-scaling? Either way it means I can use the Mojo whilst away the next couple of days without faffing around so I'm not complaining.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #1,143 of 42,765
All of them are well implemented. Don't really hear much difference between them. If I were to pick one I'd say USB, but I'm not sure how much of that is my own expectation bias or not. Coaxial is really good too. Listened through optical but not for long.

Interesting, as USB is likely to be the most coloured, especially if used from a laptop  as the Mojo has no galvanic isolation.

Not yet. That's my next purchase.
wink.gif

I'm using the X5 coaxial adaptor at the Mojo end connected to my desktop rigs long 75 Ohm coaxial cable to my X5ii with the TRRS coaxial adaptor that came with the X5ii. A serious joke if you saw me using it.
blink.gif

The biggest complaint I have with the Mojo is the lack of included cables or adapters. This can be easily solved but not optimal for excited new users.

The simplest solution is an adapter - male phono to male 3.5mm.
Edit: not so easy to find - female phono to male 3.5mm are common and so is male to male phono.
Blame the Fiio for having a non-standard connection. The original X5 would be easy.

The Hugo is supplied with a large selection of cables, but people still complain that they are not quite the right length or quality, so maybe Chord have learned from this experience, rather than just keeping the cost to a minimum.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,146 of 42,765
Presumably the Audioquest Jitterbug - http://www.audioquest.com/jitterbug/jitterbug - would make a fairly neat and relatively low cost solution to improving a laptops USB output when used in combination with a USB cable and the Mojo? 

Quote:
  Interesting, as USB is likely to be the most coloured, especially if used from a laptop  as the Mojo has no galvanic isolation.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #1,147 of 42,765

The simplest solution is an adapter - male phono to male 3.5mm.
Edit: not so easy to find - female phono to male 3.5mm are common and so is male to male phono.
Blame the Fiio for having a non-standard connection. The original X5 would be easy.

The Hugo is supplied with a large selection of cables, but people still complain that they are not quite the right length or quality, so maybe Chord have learned from this experience, rather than just keeping the cost to a minimum.

Yeah, like I said, I really don't hear a difference on inputs, then again the USB from my MBP is pretty clean. Never had an issue.

Aware of the cable connections btw. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #1,148 of 42,765
OMG.

Mojo arrived today. My thanks to Custom Cables for such a swift service. I placed on charge for an hour. But I couldn't resist so sneaked a 5 min listening session.

I also compared the same 2 tracks from The 99 Most Essentia Relaxing Classics, Track 8 Cavatina and Track 1 The Magic Flute K 620 Overture with my Oppo HA-2.

I am using my iPhone 6S Plus with Neutron Player app. The above tracks are mp3 only at around 256 bit rate as downloaded music. I grabbed my Sony MDR-1RNC headphones with the noise cancellation switched off as these were the nearest cans.

The Mojo is amazing. I have heard nothing so involving, musical etc in a portable device.

Versus the Oppo HA-2. The Oppo did not even get close, which is crazy as I loved the HA-2. I will be selling my HA-2 soon.

Mojo now back on charge.

Some observations. It is much smaller than I thought it was going to be. Great size. Beautiful build. I haven't heard any interference either.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #1,149 of 42,765
Gavin, you were meant to dislike it and sell it to me, remember?

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #1,155 of 42,765
I'll just leave this here. 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-mojo/reviews/14291

Users who are viewing this thread

Back