Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 10, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #11,071 of 42,765
Optical cable -- With all this talk about finding cheap small optical cables, let's remember that cheap is cheap. That is, cheap optical cables have inexpensive plastic cores which are not polished to as high a degree as more expensive optical cables made from highly polished plastic fiber and glass fiber. Buy a $2 or $10 optical cable (or some other cheap price) and you'll truly get what you pay for -- on the downside. There is a big sonic difference.   To me, if you're already spending sizeable amounts on a Mojo with accompanying DAP or phone, I'd rather go for a quality cable such as from Sysconcepts or Moon audio and receive the sonic benefits -- because the benefits are real.

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #11,072 of 42,765
  Optical cable -- With all this talk about finding cheap small optical cables, let's remember that cheap is cheap. That is, cheap optical cables have inexpensive plastic cores which are not polished to as high a degree as more expensive optical cables made from highly polished plastic fiber and glass fiber. Buy a $2 or $10 optical cable (or some other cheap price) and you'll truly get what you pay for -- on the downside. There is a big sonic difference.   To me, if you're already spending sizeable amounts on a Mojo with accompanying DAP or phone, I'd rather go for a quality cable such as from Sysconcepts or Moon audio and receive the sonic benefits -- because the benefits are real.

yeah, I'm generally not a big cable guy, but optical cables are different.  Cheap and short optical cables are a recipe for disaster.  Being in the digital realm, they're not going to change the frequency or anything, but they will insert junk into the digital domain.  Especially as the core on a short low quality one that is bent at a sharp angle starts to inevitably break.

Now, if somebody talking about an audiophile grade optical cable says something like "I heard more solid bass out of this optical cable" then they have no idea what they're talking about.  That's just not how digital cables, even optical, work.  They basically either introduce digital crappification or they don't.  They're not "bright" or "warm" like analog cables theoretically can be.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #11,073 of 42,765
Sorry guys if I am repeating this questions - I am getting a little lost in the conversation. Is there general agreement on a nice USB OTG cable for an andoid phone (micro) to mojo? I see Moon Audio has a very expensive option, is there anything that is worth getting instead for a more reasonable price?

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #11,074 of 42,765

Why is the Chord Hugo not portable? It also fits inside my jacket with the iPhone together.

I guess.  I know I found Hugo awkward to carry around when I had my demo unit.  In theory I could fit the m9XX and a battery in a big enough jacket pocket.  That doesn't mean I think it's portable by any means.  To me the Hugo is portable in the same way as an iPad Mini is.  If you consider the iPad mini pocketable and something you would walk around the streets with, then sure.  I don't think most people feel that way though.  And very few people in the Hugo thread use it as a "walk around." unit.  Instead more of a "transportable stationary" unit.  It's not worth arguing about I guess.  But it's clear the person we are responding to also felt that the Hugo isn't "portable."  I guess we can all disagree on what exactly portable means, as it is a very poorly defined category.  To me, anything wider than iPhone + model is too big to be "walk around portable" and instead falls into the "transportable portable" category.  

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #11,075 of 42,765
I guess.  I know I found Hugo awkward to carry around when I had my demo unit.  In theory I could fit the m9XX and a battery in a big enough jacket pocket.  That doesn't mean I think it's portable by any means.  To me the Hugo is portable in the same way as an iPad Mini is.  If you consider the iPad mini pocketable and something you would walk around the streets with, then sure.  I don't think most people feel that way though.  And very few people in the Hugo thread use it as a "walk around." unit.  Instead more of a "transportable stationary" unit.  It's not worth arguing about I guess.  But it's clear the person we are responding to also felt that the Hugo isn't "portable."  I guess we can all disagree on what exactly portable means, as it is a very poorly defined category.  To me, anything wider than iPhone + model is too big to be "walk around portable" and instead falls into the "transportable portable" category.  

I think I had no problems with it because while on feet I would put it in my backpack pocket and at home - well it just sits there.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #11,076 of 42,765
A question to the floor

How have you found the mojo maybe changed/burned in since you first bought it?

I ask because I had a demo the other day of 30 minutes or so with my focal spirit pros and it didn't totally grab me. I was very much more impressed with the Sony pha3. The synergy there was great.

But have I missed something with the mojo? Am I expecting something that I shouldn't?is it more subtle? Do I or the unit need burn in? The upper mids and highs were just not grabbing me.

It was a very new demo unit. And my headphones are quite neutral and (perhaps) slightly laid back. Very well suited as Reference headphones.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #11,077 of 42,765
A question to the floor

I ask because I had a demo the other day of 30 minutes or so with my focal spirit pros and it didn't totally grab me. I was very much more impressed with the Sony pha3. The synergy there was great.

But have I missed something with the mojo? Am I expecting something that I shouldn't?is it more subtle? Do I or the unit need burn in? The upper mids and highs were just not grabbing me.

It was a very new demo unit. And my headphones are quite neutral and (perhaps) slightly laid back. Very well suited as Reference headphones.

To the extent physical burn in on amps is real, I had none, because I was the 4th person to have the demo/review unit I had. However to me Mojo isn't a product that is going to immediately "grab" you. It's too natural and neutral for that. Where it shines is with extended listening.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #11,078 of 42,765
A question to the floor

There have been many conversations about this in the thread. Rob Watts' take is that the brain needs time to adjust, to relax and take the time to appreciate the notes as they are presented. Timbre, timing, accuracy are sometimes things that don't jump out at you but over time make themselves aware. With a lot of other gear I find that the immediate reaction of being more detailed and sounds fatiguing in the long run and overall is just exaggerating, but doesn't have more musical fidelity.

The reason I like the Mojo is because it's smooth at the same time as being very detailed. Piano sounds like a piano, guitar sounds like guitar, etc. and I can listen for hours without fatigue. There is a natural presentation that has me feeling closer to the original performance. Indeed, I've gone back to some gear I've previously felt were rich in dynamics and detail, after extensive listening with the Mojo, and found the other gear to be grainy with an edge that I don't like anymore. Rob has posted some fantastic information on this thread on the subject, and I can agree with pretty much everything he says.

Edit: Just thought I'd add that in the end we often are also listening to recordings of a performance that has been modified. My favourite recordings are the ones with the least amount of manipulation in the mix.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #11,079 of 42,765
I completely agree with you - cables are cables, but when it comes the quality, their are good and bad ones. Sysconcepts makes the best opticals I've seen.

I think you and I have a different understanding of logic. You're one of those consumers who simply purchases an item because it's expensive, or is referred to as better.

There aren't any better options in the size package and price point then each one of these products I own.

JH Roxanne is "top of the line".
AK products are "top of the line".
Chord products are "top of the line".

If I own a $100,000 BMW. Is that not top-of-the-line to you? I guess you're right, it's not TOTL- only Bugattis are. 

I think of TOTL as literally the top of the line. So, Dave for Chord DACs and whatever model for BMW. But, I agree with your point on what qualifies as "state of the art" which would take into account form factor and other preferences. Not sure why SOTA fell out of favor for TOTL.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #11,081 of 42,765
I think of TOTL as literally the top of the line. So, Dave for Chord DACs and whatever model for BMW. But, I agree with your point on what qualifies as "state of the art" which would take into account form factor and other preferences. Not sure why SOTA fell out of favor for TOTL.

to me "state of the art" is more about the recentness of the technology, whereas "top of the line" is more about quality level and where a manufacturer places a product in their product offering lines.  For instance, a simple, great Class A tube amp simply can't be "state of the art" because Class A valve technology essentially hasn't changed in years.  But a great Class A tube amp could, and often is, considered "top of the line."  

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #11,082 of 42,765
guys after spending like load **** of money on equipment TOTL earphones , amps , dacs , sometimes i came to a state where i dont know if there is a different between playing my iems/headphones  straight from laptop or plug them into the mojo would make any different , but today after been using the mojo for like 5 days , i put it to rest a little and i plugged my hd800 straight back to the amp without that little mojo and the sound is oh my CRAP , i thought something wrong then i go back to other headphones and all sound crap to me now  without the mojo , this device is magic  

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #11,083 of 42,765
guys after spending like load **** of money on equipment TOTL earphones , amps , dacs , sometimes i came to a state where i dont know if there is a different between playing my iems/headphones  straight from laptop or plug them into the mojo would make any different , but today after been using the mojo for like 5 days , i put it to rest a little and i plugged my hd800 straight back to the amp without that little mojo and the sound is oh my CRAP , i thought something wrong then i go back to other headphones and all sound crap to me now  without the mojo , this device is magic  

Exactly! You adjust and then going back the difference is more apparent. :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #11,085 of 42,765
Where do I buy the extention for this cable to work on my mojo?
USA amazon? Please help with link or a way to search for it

Search mini optical to TOSlink adaptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back