Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 4, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #10,711 of 42,765
   Any distortion or error at the digital transfer (from the source to the dac) won't matter as long as the dac is playing without any clippings (there are error detection and correction) , the data streaming isn't a real-time thing, every dac got a cache memory that will be used to store some of the data, also if any distorted digital frame came tho the dac, the dac will ask the source to send it again etc....

The distortion at the digital transfer should be addressed only if there are clippings or even stop working.

I'm just saying I have certainly seen interference make a measurable difference with USB cables.  This isn't a "woo woo glass stones and magic beads" I've literally seen measurement graphs show it.  But gain, that was an extreme case with a bad USB cable in an electronically noisy environment.  

I've also certainly seen bad USB ports on a computer make a very obvious and notable difference.  Especially if the unit is powered through the USB cable at all.  With the m9XX people think it sounds better in high power mode because of the extra power.  WHat they don't realize is that they aren't even using that extra power unless they're under 90. on it and the reason the m9XX sounds better in high power mode is because it's running the power through the dedicated cable, and the data cable goes from power+data to data only.  

THis is a big reason why the Mojo sounds better than a lot of little DAC/amp bus powered units, because the battery power means that the USB connection is purely data only.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #10,712 of 42,765

I'm just saying I have certainly seen interference make a measurable difference with USB cables.  This isn't a "woo woo glass stones and magic beads" I've literally seen measurement graphs show it.  But gain, that was an extreme case with a bad USB cable in an electronically noisy environment.

So that means DACs can tolerate a minor quantity of errors and still will play but with less sound quality,,  means there are no error detection/correction.
That's interesting as I thought there are.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #10,713 of 42,765
  So here everything are fixed, just the audirvana app was the change,,,  if the MBP with and without audirvana is sending the data using ASIO then its something at the audirvana, maybe the EQ.

"Playing bitperfect-audio with a MAC is a little complicated because Mac computers always use a fixed bitdepth and samplingrate in the midi setup." Audirvana and other like SWare let you listen to Hi-Res files by changing the bitdepth and samplingrate automatically. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #10,714 of 42,765
   Any distortion or error at the digital transfer (from the source to the dac) won't matter as long as the dac is playing without any clippings (there are error detection and correction) , the data streaming isn't a real-time thing, every dac got a cache memory that will be used to store some of the data, also if any distorted digital frame came tho the dac, the dac will ask the source to send it again etc....

The distortion at the digital transfer should be addressed only if there are clippings or even stop working.

The issue here is not the digital data being corrupted per se, but the spike noises carried across from the USB cable hopping across to the internal power lines and the analogue output section of the USB DAC unit. It's similar to how people have complained about Mojo receiving interference from the cell phone reception, but less significant.

In terms of the quality of the source and cables, I had issues with PCM352.8kHz and DSD128/256 files when using my Macbook Air and cheap USB cables. I tried five different cables (up to Belkin) which all caused very subtle, rapid popping, bouncy volume type sound (through the earphones). Changing to a semi-decent cable ($30 Audioquest) fixed the issue, but not sure to what degree. (the popping might still be there but can't hear anymore).

I doubt that the fancy silver plated cryo treated leopard skin exotic cables will do any good (most Hi-Fi cable makers don't know how to make high speed digital cables), but cheap cables certainly cause issues, particularly at higher sample rates.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #10,715 of 42,765

"Playing bitperfect-audio with a MAC is a little complicated because Mac computers always use a fixed bitdepth and samplingrate in the midi setup." Audirvana and other like SWare let you listen to Hi-Res files by changing the bitdepth and samplingrate automatically. 

So that's why Audirvana made a better sound quality :)

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #10,717 of 42,765

The issue here is not the digital data being corrupted per se, but the spike noises carried across from the USB cable hopping across to the internal power lines and the analogue output section of the USB DAC unit. It's similar to how people have complained about Mojo receiving interference from the cell phone reception, but less significant.

In terms of the quality of the source and cables, I had issues with PCM352.8kHz and DSD128/256 files when using my Macbook Air and cheap USB cables. I tried five different cables (up to Belkin) which all caused very subtle, rapid popping, bouncy volume type sound (through the earphones). Changing to a semi-decent cable ($30 Audioquest) fixed the issue, but not sure to what degree. (the popping might still be there but can't hear anymore).

I doubt that the fancy silver plated cryo treated leopard skin exotic cables will do any good (most Hi-Fi cable makers don't know how to make high speed digital cables), but cheap cables certainly cause issues, particularly at higher sample rates.

I was wrong to think that there is error detection/correction at the digital connection between the source and the dac.
Thus using a better usb cable is recommended specially at high-speed data, and also using a USB filter is recommended to remove and filter unwanted destortion/signal spikes (the filter should be close the source, also using 2 filters one at each of the usb ends maybe will do better) also the shorter the cable the better.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #10,719 of 42,765
I feel that source via digital our differes greatly

Using onkyo player, note 5 sounds better than dx80 (coax) and better than an asus laptop and better than a moto g and better than iPhone 6 and better than 6s.

So I don't know why, but what you feed mojo matters very much in sound quality and differences

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #10,721 of 42,765
This thread is turning into Groundhog Day
regular_smile .gif

Seriously. If only someone would put something in the title about where there were links to answers to commonly asked questions...

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #10,723 of 42,765
  What battery life results are you guys getting?

Do a quick "search this thread" and put in "battery" and you'll find a whole lot of input, even from earlier today. Cheers 

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #10,725 of 42,765
got the mojo yesterday. it is a solid piece of gear and best build I have seen for the money. listened to it briefly before charging and the sound was much more better than fiio dap straight away. can't believe it is possible with such a small and reasonably priced kit. one thing , does the charging light goes off once it is fully charged ? what does it mean if the charging light is flashing ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back