Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 30, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #8,011 of 42,788
  I'm using Audirvana Plus 2 trial on Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro (Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Beta) with Chord Mojo and I get random cuts in audio during playback. Mostly happens at beginning song after a few seconds but also happens at any point in the track. Help? System optimizer feature didn't seam to help.

My settings:

Native DSD Capability: DSD over PCM standard 1.0 (according to user manual)
All other settings are default settings:
Exclusive access mode on
Direct Mode on
Integer Mode: Mode 1 on

The problem you may be having is that you're running a Beta version of OSX. I don't recommend this as anything could be broken in the build that could screw up Audirvana Plus. Unless you absolutely need to for software development, I recommend that you do NOT run betas of OSX.

Does mojo project dsd music better then flac 44.1?

The Mojo's tech makes DSD irrelevant. You don't need DSD. Stick with regular PCM (normal CD quality or high-res) files with the Mojo.

Hello all,

apologies if this has been brought up before, but I have experienced a few dropouts in playback when using the mojo via USB with the supplied cable.

I've been listening to ALAC files via iTunes on a macbook pro.

Is this a common problem and could it be related to the supplied cable? Or something else entirely.

Any help would be appreciated.

In Audio Midi Set-up, also make sure that system alert sounds are not being sent to the Mojo. Click on the speaker output, then either right-click or click on the gear wheel settings below and select "Play alerts and sound effects through this device."  

The sample rate you should set should be the same as the music you are playing, eg: If CD quality, then 44.1. Having the system re-sample the music is a very bad idea.  There are quite a few "audiophile" players that will automatically switch the sample rate for you if you have high-res music.

If you are still getting drop-outs, try using a USB hub between the Mac and the Mojo. The newer Macs have USB 3 ports that sometimes aren't stable with audio devices.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #8,012 of 42,788
Dx80 performs well with mojo, really was Looking for a little more detail retrieval,
It sounds nice coming out of the note 5,qbout the same as dx80, however I don't understand why it sounds a little worse coming from dx90 (all used) a normal short stereo cable (coax)

I thought that the Mojo will play good no matter what you feed it due to the Mojo convention and amping...

I'm more confused then ever

I love the Mojo, defiently a keeper, however I feel something is missing (maybe a little more detail) or (punch) engaging... Idk

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #8,013 of 42,788
@naivesound What headphones are you using?

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #8,014 of 42,788
Dx80 performs well with mojo, really was Looking for a little more detail retrieval,
It sounds nice coming out of the note 5,qbout the same as dx80, however I don't understand why it sounds a little worse coming from dx90 (all used) a normal short stereo cable (coax)

I thought that the Mojo will play good no matter what you feed it due to the Mojo convention and amping...

I'm more confused then ever

I love the Mojo, defiently a keeper, however I feel something is missing (maybe a little more detail) or (punch) engaging... Idk

The way the mojo was designed-it shouldnt matter what source and I suspect the differences heard are largely in your head. I don't think there is another Portable DAC with the resolution of the mojo, if it's in the song-you'll hear it with mojo assuming your headphones are good as well.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #8,016 of 42,788
Shure se846, used with white filters and blue modded. Filters (trying to. Get some. Detailed treble) and while that is present, I'm looking for more engaging *fun* yet sparkling clear sound

If you're looking for this in something that is also portable and under $1K (or much more) I think you'll have a very hard time doing better than the Mojo. Cheers

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #8,018 of 42,788
I used AK120 optical, LG G3 USB and DX80 coxial (one copper and the other silver cable) input to the mojo, they are sounded different but the silver coxial connection is detailed enough to my ear with the Shure SE846 with the while nozzle. The AK120 is clean but lacks the flesh that I like and the LG USB has a smaller soundstage, I am keen to see what the USB connection from the newer DAPs like Pioneer or Onkyo is like.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #8,019 of 42,788
  I used AK120 optical, LG G3 USB and DX80 coxial (one copper and the other silver cable) input to the mojo, they are sounded different but the silver coxial connection is detailed enough to my ear with the Shure SE846 with the while nozzle. The AK120 is clean but lacks the flesh that I like and the LG USB has a smaller soundstage, I am keen to see what the USB connection from the newer DAPs like Pioneer or Onkyo is like.

Before making a factual claim like you are, it would be nice to preface it with "I think", or a bit of background. For instance, you could say whether or not your volume matched (not by ear, but by external testing equipment or a voltage meter) between the different connections/sources into the MOJO. It would also be nice if you would tell us if you listened to the same songs/albums/genres/headphones, and for how long. Did you do this back to back, or did you do it over a long period of time? Was this done sighted or blind? Did you do it in batches to determine if the differences you observed were part of an emotional peak, or not? 

Until (and even after) you answer any of the above, you have a subjective claim that can mislead a lot of people. It would be very nice, and polite, even, if instead of bold claims, you added an "I think" or "it is my opinion that" especially in lieu of properly testing equipment. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #8,020 of 42,788
  If you're looking for this in something that is also portable and under $1K (or much more) I think you'll have a very hard time doing better than the Mojo. Cheers

I'll go one step further: Mojo is the link that can absolutely transform an iPod touch or similar device into a system more powerful and accurate than the most expensive DAP on the planet. And, it keeps its gapless playback.

EDIT: before I get called out for my factual claim (it would be fair to call me out), let me explain. Under identical test situations (volume matched, using industry-available test waves) and a standard set of earphones (I've not converted to using resistors, which I should do), Mojo outputs a more stable signal than any high-end DAP across the board. At times that signal is bested by a certain DAP or DAC, but overall, among battery-powered devices, and especially when added to a portable system with gapless playback, it represents the current pinnacle of performance. Before completing a single test, I ensured my test setup (not professional, but good enough for what I do) performed within acceptable outliers, which means that it cleaves to earlier metrics which I now consider testable standards. If the system does not, or if other anomalies occur before I begin testing, I troubleshoot until it conforms to the standards.

As evidence, I submit:

RMAA: AK380
RMAA: XP-D1
RMAA: XDP-100R
RMAA: Sony NW-ZX2
RMAA: Mojo (from iPhone 6)

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #8,023 of 42,788
  Are you serious? This is a hobby site not high court. But you are want to know I can tell you I listen to the same song with another friend who came to the same opinion, everyone has different ears and all claims here are subjective.

Not all claims are subjective and some folks unfortunately take a sentence and then spend lots of money and then return saying they read ______ was _______.
With a grain of salt should be the second warning on Head Fi after sorry about your wallet.

I get what you are saying but my PM box is filled with people who were not in control of themselves, gullible, easily influenced and fell victim to what looked like smart folks talking with authority about some of the most subjective parts of this hobby.....so it happens...a lot.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #8,024 of 42,788
  Are you serious? This is a hobby site not high court. But you are want to know I can tell you I listen to the same song with another friend who came to the same opinion, everyone has different ears and all claims here are subjective.

Of course it's not a high court. It doesn't have to be. If we both look at the same sky and you see blue and I see green, there is a problem. If I am colourblind, we reference that. If a truth exists, e.g., that Mojo sounds different from two different sources, or cables, it can be tabulated. But in order to properly tabulate anything, you have to level all variables. A raise of volume by 0,5 decibels is enough to elicit a different response. Raise it further, but not of bounds for what is considered 'similar' and you get a wider/starker difference. 

Thus, saying that sound is different is probably true, but is it down to it volume differences? Is it down to the cable? If you can't differentiate one over the other, you are like the person unaware that they are colour blind but then making a factual and universal claim over the colour of the sky. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #8,025 of 42,788

Stating a claim is different from stating an opinion. Which is just what @shigzeo is implying. Nobody questions your opinion about what you or your friend is hearing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back