Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 24, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #5,791 of 42,765
Get the Fiio l19 cable which works perfectly! I shows a few links to some others that work without the cck. I tried the "compatible" ones on eBay and it was a waste of time.

Saw some using this cable to connect directly to the iPhone.
73af6adde0a29e2def28427aa448df44.jpg

How much is Fiio L19 and is it confirmed that it will surely work between Mojo and iDevices? I spent $3.75 on my cable that doesn't work and if this Fiio cable combined with the wasted cost of my current cable is still cheaper than the official Apple CCK, then I can get this since it's a direct connection between two devices. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #5,792 of 42,765

How much is Fiio L19 and is it confirmed that it will surely work between Mojo and iDevices? I spent $3.75 on my cable that doesn't work and if this Fiio cable combined with the wasted cost of my current cable is still cheaper than the official Apple CCK, then I can get this since it's a direct connection between two devices. 

Also, will the FiiO cable work if the iPhone is in a case??  The lightning end is very wide.

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #5,793 of 42,765
  After reading the first 90 pages, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Ordered from Moon-Audio in the morning, I received shipping confirmation from FedEx that afternoon! Should be here this weekend, Can't wait to see the rainbow when I first turn it on!!!

I reviewed the rest of the pages, well just because I hate to be the guy who asks a question answered in a previous post.. (but i skipped posts about android, DAPs, OTGS because I'm a mac guy)

A couple of questions for the Chord team:

1. I understand that Chord does NOT recommend using the adapter below into an Apple lightning/camera dongle with the Mojo:

Would the other adapter (⬇︎) mentioned be acceptable?

2. Do you anticipate that the upcoming SD card module will be able to be accessed from iOS, Android, and/or Windows smart phones? And what will be the maximum supported card capacity?

Using the Lightning to USB (aka CCK) cable I was able to get the adapter in your first photo to work but not the one in the second photo. The small little adapter is really hard to get to seat correctly, and can slide too far back into the CCK USB jack. I even tried all the tricks of putting a piece of folded paper in and such to hold it in the correct place and still no-go. However, no problem with the larger male-to-micro adapter at all with the Mojo. Cheers 

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #5,794 of 42,765
1. I understand that Chord does NOT recommend using the adapter below into an Apple lightning/camera dongle with the Mojo:

Edit: For those looking for more info on this, Rob Watts discuses the Startech USB A to Micro USB B Cable Adapter - Male to Male adapters here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/3720#post_12048691

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #5,795 of 42,765

I found the Mojo to struggle with dynamics with the HD650 on its own. It did good with my easy to drive stuff no problem. The T1 I think will get loud but I'd imagine a separate amp would be needed. The amp section doesn't put out enough for demanding cans IMO.

I couldnt disagree more...i use my LCD-3F without any issue and used my HD800 before i sold it and it was a great match.....other than a dedicated desktop amp you are not gonna do much better on anything as portable as the Mojo is.......the more i use the little guy the more i find myself appreciating it

Of all the full-sized cans I tried, only HE-6 makes Mojo work hard. I don't know about HD-650 but for T1 and HD800, the Mojo does not break a sweat. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #5,796 of 42,765
It just wasn't up to par on its own. With the Ember however, it was great. I thought the amp was pretty weak personally. Those who find it enough, good for them, I wish I felt the same way.

You must be talking about the pairing. right? The Mojo don't just have enough, it has ample headroom to drive full-sized cans. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #5,797 of 42,765
Am considering some really good over ears at the moment. Wondering what pairs well with the Mojo.

I have some AKG3003s and would like to maintain this signature, clarity, detail, etc, basically, but seeking something more comfortable for regular use.

I have my eye on some T1 beyerdynamic , 1st gen, mainly because price is very attractive at around 580chf, but am open to other ideas.

My main concern is if the Mojo is man enough to power the T1's well, and if synergy would be better with other easier driven devices. 

Any pointers upto around 1000 usd/chf?

When I was lucky enough try out the TT, I also demoed Grado GS 1000 and Beydamic T90s and was struck how different they both were to my Sennheiser HD600s. I really liked both and in the end bought a pair of T90s and I find they are a really good match for the Mojo.

The clarity of the T90s lifts off a veil of mist that I otherwise have with the 600s and pair well with the warmth of the Mojo. The T1s , I am sure would also be a great match.

I realise that you are looking to spend more money than on the T90s but they aren't far off the T1s apparently but for a smidgeon of the cost.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #5,798 of 42,765
When I was lucky enough try out the TT, I also demoed Grado GS 1000 and Beydamic T90s and was struck how different they both were to my Sennheiser HD600s. I really liked both and in the end bought a pair of T90s and I find they are a really good match for the Mojo.

The clarity of the T90s lifts off a veil of mist that I otherwise have with the 600s and pair well with the warmth of the Mojo. The T1s , I am sure would also be a great match.

I realise that you are looking to spend more money than on the T90s but they aren't far off the T1s apparently but for a smidgeon of the cost.

Jeez, the plot thickens. I've been recommended also the T70P's by someone who says they're better than the T1's, and also a lot cheaper, but then there's the non-P version to consider! Thing is with the 90's they retail here for 400chf and the T1's at 587chf, so there's not so much in it as before (ie about a 3rd of the price when released). The T1 original has tumbled here because of the release of the 2nd gen.

I hear what you say about the HD600's, I have also a pair, and they sound veiled certainly compare to the K3003's. Im looking for that crystal clear sound but from over ears.

I think I'm still swayed by the T1's overall. But currently investigating the T70p's, retailing at 350chf for a "portable" version , ie 32ohms instead of 250ohms. Sure, if I can really get 90% of the t1 sound from some cans half the price, then its a no brainer! It's like going up from the T1's to the HD800's most would say the HD800's are a bit better, but double the price better? Hmmm. :)

All input greatly appreciated!

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #5,799 of 42,765
In fact, according to Shigzeo's measurements (if I didn't interpret it incorrectly), as you push the volume up, the mojo actually gets better. It's measurements at max volume are pretty sick.
This was mentioned by a few of us at the beginning of this thread (sorry, I skipped a few pages so as to post this reply, so could've been covered already) the Mojo seems (to me, YMMV) to come to life when the volume is shown as yellow left, green right...

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #5,800 of 42,765
Edit: For those looking for more info on this, Rob Watts discuses the Startech USB A to Micro USB B Cable Adapter - Male to Male adapters here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/3720#post_12048691

Definitely wouldn't recommend the second adapter as it doesn't fit properly into the Apple CCK cable. Haven't tried the first one but don't see a problem if the micro usb section is short as it will then go into the mojo fully. As an aside, the supplied chord cable's micro usb section sticks out a bit so if there is going to bre pressure on the connection I would have thought that connection has a problem too. Also the Lavricables cable works(with my iPod but not so well with my phone)and all the cables have some slight movement on the micro usb side. Waiting for my Fiio cable to come in at some point

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #5,801 of 42,765
This was mentioned by a few of us at the beginning of this thread (sorry, I skipped a few pages so as to post this reply, so could've been covered already) the Mojo seems (to me, YMMV) to come to life when the volume is shown as yellow left, green right...

Please don't read that I'm suggesting you raise the volume. Again, I made it clear that these volumes are NOT safe. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #5,802 of 42,765
Jeez, the plot thickens. I've been recommended also the T70P's by someone who says they're better than the T1's, and also a lot cheaper, but then there's the non-P version to consider! Thing is with the 90's they retail here for 400chf and the T1's at 587chf, so there's not so much in it as before (ie about a 3rd of the price when released). The T1 original has tumbled here because of the release of the 2nd gen.

I hear what you say about the HD600's, I have also a pair, and they sound veiled certainly compare to the K3003's. Im looking for that crystal clear sound but from over ears.

I think I'm still swayed by the T1's overall. But currently investigating the T70p's, retailing at 350chf for a "portable" version , ie 32ohms instead of 250ohms. Sure, if I can really get 90% of the t1 sound from some cans half the price, then its a no brainer! It's like going up from the T1's to the HD800's most would say the HD800's are a bit better, but double the price better? Hmmm. :)

All input greatly appreciated!

You have to listen to both the T70p and T90, as they utlise either a closed or open system, with the latter providing a bigger soundstage, but then no option to listen in an open air environment.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #5,804 of 42,765
  Okay I am going to attempt to start a new movement, a headphone that is tuned by the ears which created the chord hugo. I know Rob likes the AudioQuest NightHawk but i am still wondering if future entails a headphone production, to me it is only a natural transition, and quiet possibly a lot more possible to do than the DAP concept. 

Interesting idea. Am studying possible candidate for purchase at the mo for a 500-1000usd/chf investment to go with the mojo, and its a bit of a minefield. 

Synergy is an important aspect , IMHO. Get it right and it's bliss all the way, get it wrong and there're those niggles which constantly pop up whilst listening which make you look at other options!

like you say the headphone aspect is probably more important right now than the DAP issue. We can work round that; it's an annoyance sometimes that the cables aren't super-ergonomic or that the DAP/DAC pairing is not 100% flush, but it's useable on the whole. It's a niceity to have an ergonomic combo. But the headphone pairing is so important.

Maybe start a repository online for ongoing user feedback with pairings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back