Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 27, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #38,836 of 42,765
I mentioned that only because, I know this happens with integrated home audio amps. i had fixed similar (not exact but poor bass timing , dull sounds) on old amps by changing caps. The power caps store the current, and release it according to signal comes in. If they are not behaving correct, then there can be too much wrong with sound. I am not sure if this is how it's implemented in mojo. For instance the hifimes some dac amps had no caps this way which means this issue can never happen. I really wish this is not what is happening with my mojo. I will try contacting chord. Hope they have service like jds ( they were extremely good ppl who walked me through a cap issue, after the warranty was over on my c5d) mojo is still in warranty .
[edited to add links]
The output stage of the Mojo is virtually direct from the fpga, so only one capacitor to fail.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1092#post-12519944
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2203#post-13604597
Contact support@chordelectronics.co.uk if you need to ask for advice about how to proceed.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #38,839 of 42,765
Noticed tonight that Mojo runs quite a bit hotter when using usb compared to optical it's much cooler. So those paranoid about temps give optical a try, you get the benefit of galvanic isolation too.

Jun 28, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #38,841 of 42,765
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for the Mojo. I need closed-back, over-ear headphones for home use only. My budget is about $400. I'm interested in Beyerdynamic DT 770s (250 ohms) or maybe DT 1770s but it seems like the upgrade is not worth it.

What could you recommend? I'm open to any brands, not only Beyer. Thank you.

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #38,842 of 42,765
Were you charging the battery at the same time, from the same battery level, in both cases?

No i always charge overnight so i never need to do it during use, i just noticed that is was quite a bit hotter on usb when using my phone compared to what i usually use which is optical from my pc. I am unable to measure the temperature and it has me wondering if it because of the usb receiver chip being used and clocking done on the fpga.

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #38,843 of 42,765
No i always charge overnight so i never need to do it during use, i just noticed that is was quite a bit hotter on usb when using my phone compared to what i usually use which is optical from my pc. I am unable to measure the temperature and it has me wondering if it because of the usb receiver chip being used and clocking done on the fpga.

Battery life seems longer on optical, too, though I haven’t done a scientific measurement.

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #38,844 of 42,765
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for the Mojo. I need closed-back, over-ear headphones for home use only. My budget is about $400. I'm interested in Beyerdynamic DT 770s (250 ohms) or maybe DT 1770s but it seems like the upgrade is not worth it.

My favorite closed-back at the price zone is Sony MDR-1AM2 (16Ω, somewhat below your budget, though). IMHO it provides solid bang-for-buck performance-wise, is featherly light (187g), and pairs well with Mojo. (It's thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-1am2-impressions-thread.869385 )

I'm sorry I've never tried DT 770s so I can't provide any comparisons there...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #38,845 of 42,765
Hi everyone,

Personally i have found great synergy with the oppo pm3 (you would have to buy s/h) and i did like the sennheiser momentum wired but there are not as rich sounding as the oppos.

d

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #38,846 of 42,765
I see the Focal Elegia are going for $699 new... you might find some of them used in your price range. I'd look at all the headphones in that category:
  • Focal Elegia
  • LCD-2 Closed Back
  • Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Closed
And probably a few others.

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #38,847 of 42,765
Try DT880 600 ohm premium editon (home version). The 600 ohm is easy for mojo and these cans cost less but are great with mojo. With jazz as an example they punch well above their price. Around £160/$200. These are semi open and ultra comfortable.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #38,848 of 42,765
Hi everyone,

The Mojo has good synergy with many headphones, so if you search the thread using some popular headphone models, you should get plenty of posts to help you get a 'feel' of whether they had good synergy.
Some of the replies to your post, already mention the Oppo PM3 which was popular.
Sennheiser models like the HD600 were more mixed, in that some owners loved them, but others disliked them - but Sennheiser do seem to split opinion for many other dacs and amps, so personal preferences should not be ignored.
I have mainly used Beyer with my chord dacs. I like the the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohms), but I prefer the models with Tesla drivers (eg T51i, or AKT8ie mk2) because they provide that extra level of shimmer to jazz cymbals.
I recently bought some Aeon Flow closed, which are recommended by Rob Watts. I think they have a good synergy with the Mojo, but maybe lack that top end shimmer with cymbals. Some posters claim that the Aeon Flow open improve the top end slightly. Whatever the truth, both open and closed are outside your budget.
Audioquest nightowl and nighthawk were also popular, but I think they may now be hard to find.

Hope this helps

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #38,849 of 42,765
I think my units cap is screwed up. I tried usapp in airplane mode with fiio cl06 cable and another otg cable. It sounds soft and looses bass and timing in a few minutes. I tried Asio with foobar using another cable too.

The sound changes from peppy / detailed to sluggish/confused. Tried tin audio t2 and beoplay h6 as they are the only ones I have at home now. Results are same. I will try contacting chord today.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back