Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 24, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #38,221 of 42,765
Just bought a new mojo a few days ago and will mainly be using it on the go. However, I wanted to try it out on my home system and had a question re: line level out. I was scanning thru the FAQ and noticed that we can do 3v or 1.9v out, any specific reason to use one vs the other for hooking it up to my preamp/amp other then sensitivity of volume control. I have a NAD 375BEE.
Thanks

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #38,222 of 42,765
Just bought a new mojo a few days ago and will mainly be using it on the go. However, I wanted to try it out on my home system and had a question re: line level out. I was scanning thru the FAQ and noticed that we can do 3v or 1.9v out, any specific reason to use one vs the other for hooking it up to my preamp/amp other then sensitivity of volume control. I have a NAD 375BEE.
Thanks

For some amps 3V is too 'hot' and it will clip. A more popular input for amps is 2V so 4 clicks down will get you there (1.9V), but this will now be remembered so lower the volume before plugging in headphones.

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #38,223 of 42,765
Thanks
Well since your NAD will handle up to 8 VRMS I'd use 3V. When you hold both the volume buttons when powering on the mojo it is set to 3volts. When you power it off after using it this way it reverts back to the previous volume level prior to setting it to line level. If you do the 1.9v it's remembers this level when you power down and can damage your hearing and gear if you are using sensitive IEM's the next time you use it.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #38,224 of 42,765
Thanks. Just to be clear, if i set it down to 1.9v, and it remembers for the next time i turn it on, do I need to do any other adjustment prior to using my headphones, other than turning down the volume.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #38,226 of 42,765
Thanks. Just to be clear, if i set it down to 1.9v, and it remembers for the next time i turn it on, do I need to do any other adjustment prior to using my headphones, other than turning down the volume.
Selecting line out is just a short cut to 3V, but the mojo will not remember this 3V when you next power up.
If you have selected line out, and then adjust the volume up or down, the mojo will revert back into normal mode, and remember the volume when you switch off.
So if you select 1.9V, the mojo volume will be at 1.9V the next time you switch on. The only adjustment that you have to do is reduce the volume to an appropriate level for your headphones, but you are free to choose whether to do this before you switch off, or just after switching on - but remember to do it before you insert your headphones, to avoid any risk of damage to your headphones or hearing.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #38,227 of 42,765
Thumbs up for the Jitterbug. It makes the Mojo more impactful in the bass, more liquid and smoother, yet at the same time I'm better able to hear compression and artifacts in a song than before.

In fact, I can even hear the uneven timing when not using ASIO.

This is with the HD 650 with Canare mini star quad cable

I liked the JitterBug on the Mojo. I kept it on the cable after I bought Hugo 2, and it's not feeding Hugo 2. Hugo 2 doesn't need it because it's RF filtered, but old habits die hard.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #38,228 of 42,765
I’m surprised, coukd be the side of the bed you got out of.
iPhone I score at 3, mojo I score at 9 (relatively).
I know nothing, but I do believe; the act of engaging in the test, causes stress which destroy the brains ability to hear.
I recount my excellent story, you know the one, that day I forgot my mojo, was listening to some jazz on my iPhone, thought to myself, you know what, this is pretty good; maybe all this mojo isn’t necessary.
Then my wife dropped my mojo down to me, I was completely shocked at the difference. I was now hearing realistic timbre of instruments that raised the level of engagement hugely.
I wasn’t expecting this, it just happened. If I’d have set it up as a test, it wouldn’t have been so profound, or maybe I’d not have detected it.
Also reminds me of auditioning mojo, I couldn’t really hear any difference.
Over the next few weeks I stayed up till 3am every night, as it was in fact a revelation to me.
Ymmv.

I get like that with my Sony ZX300. I know it's not perfect, but it's a brilliant package by itself. Then I plug my Mojo in, and it's a complete other level of clarity, detail, and drive.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #38,230 of 42,765
Whilst this is great for cheaper, not-so-well shielded cables it may in fact be detrimental to well shielded cables. Cables like the QED Reference and Supra are already well shielded and introducing additional shielding by way of ferrite chokes may have a negative effect on sound.

Note! Be careful in the use of ferrites. Not all ferrites are tuned correctly to be used with this high frequency data transfer cable without changing the electrical proporties of the cable to the point where the data transfer is corrupted and/or slowed down. This is a general notification for all digital interconnects. We have encountered HDMI cables not coming even close to the original excellent performance, thanks to later added ferrites with the benign intention of reducing RFI.

Source
What difference would I notice in the sound by adding too much ferrites? Like more harshness?

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #38,232 of 42,765
I get some sort of electrical shock with my Campfire IEMs – depending on the conductivity of the bottom that I stand on (concrete on the balcony is worst) –, but only if one device in the chain is connected with the mains. Additionally there's some strange hum during the decompression phase right after insertion.

Are you sure you get the shocks with pure battery operation?

I just find it very odd. I still cannot pin point the cause of this in the chain of equipment and I'm pretty sure we're having the same issues, though mine only happened quite recently. I'm even starting to wonder if it's because of how the earphones are made or connected inside which is touching the metal shells to be causing this? All 3 of my metal earphones are Chinese made. I've since switched back to using plastic shell earphones, until I can find a definite fix.

Using my metal earphones off mobile devices that are not charging definitely doesn't give me the issue. The 2nd time I used the Mojo on battery gave me a slight shock, though I might be imagining things, because my ears are still painful from the previous shocks and I'm getting paranoid from the anticipation of future shocks. I think I'll have to let my ear fully recover before attempting again.

Your explanation of having issues with the mains is on the top of the list now, and I've read that maybe something else that's plugged to the mains is causing this grounding issue. I might even swap out the multi plug to another one soon.

Feb 25, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #38,235 of 42,765
I just find it very odd. I still cannot pin point the cause of this in the chain of equipment and I'm pretty sure we're having the same issues, though mine only happened quite recently. I'm even starting to wonder if it's because of how the earphones are made or connected inside which is touching the metal shells to be causing this? All 3 of my metal earphones are Chinese made. I've since switched back to using plastic shell earphones, until I can find a definite fix.

Using my metal earphones off mobile devices that are not charging definitely doesn't give me the issue. The 2nd time I used the Mojo on battery gave me a slight shock, though I might be imagining things, because my ears are still painful from the previous shocks and I'm getting paranoid from the anticipation of future shocks. I think I'll have to let my ear fully recover before attempting again.

Your explanation of having issues with the mains is on the top of the list now, and I've read that maybe something else that's plugged to the mains is causing this grounding issue. I might even swap out the multi plug to another one soon.

It's your macbook pro, that is not grounded properly when charging. Even though you are using 3-pronged adapter, the power adapter should also be three pronged with ground-pin.
You need to have this extension cable,
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK122LL/A/power-adapter-extension-cable
or an adapter that can replace the two-pins on you power brick, like this
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Macbook-Airport-Electric-two-pins/dp/B007S1B0A8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back