Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 2, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #38,086 of 42,765
I did download the windows 10 driver from that same page. Would love to know if any other windows users are having the same issues.
Is it possible to try optical? Does your Mac support optical out via 3.5 mm headphone jack ?

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #38,087 of 42,765
So, I finally managed to get an allen key the size of the Mojo's screws and open the case - when i loosed the screws on one side the lid popped open, the battery was very swollen you can even read the chip specs on the imprint in the protective foam on the side - I remembered with the first battery when the device was sent in service, the dealer told me that the battery was also very swollen and even if the warranty has expired he charged me only for the cost of the unit as he said it was probably a defective battery. Same story with the second one and while i'm not an expert in battery tech from my understanding a swollen battery is dangerous and is increased fire hazard, it could be a good idea to put a warning in the first post of the thread, or maybe a statement from Chord, regarding the use of Mojo as an always plugged in desktop dac.

123123233321.jpg
20190202_135549.jpg
20190202_135524.jpg

Now the good part - i plugged the Mojo without the battery and it works perfectly until now - so if i can use it like that as a desktop dac i'm happy cause it's the 99% of the use time for me - If for some reason it won't work like that, i'm gonna send it to the repair shop to get a third replacement battery, sell it and get a desktop dac.

That being said i'm still happy with it because this little bugger just gives me goosebumps like nothing else, listening right now to some Dire Straits through my single driver fullrange speakers and it's just magic, so even if i end up selling it i will probably get a 2Qute, those Chord chips must have something addictive programmed into them :D

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #38,088 of 42,765
Is it possible to try optical? Does your Mac support optical out via 3.5 mm headphone jack ?

No Mac here just windows 10 PC, with no optical connection. Everything is now working fine with Mojo on my iPhone and iPad, and the sound quality with Quobuz and the 24/192 files is quite amazing.

Anyone with Windows 10 and Mojo able to stream 24/192 files?

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #38,089 of 42,765
No Mac here just windows 10 PC, with no optical connection. Everything is now working fine with Mojo on my iPhone and iPad, and the sound quality with Quobuz and the 24/192 files is quite amazing.

Anyone with Windows 10 and Mojo able to stream 24/192 files?

Do you know a way to find all the 24/192 albums available to stream in Qobuz? I've only found one by chance so far, Velvet Underground.

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #38,090 of 42,765
I'm haven't read any reports of Mojo batteries exploding and causing fires but seeing that picture from @bocosb above I'm surprised we haven't seen any cases of Lipo fires.

Do you know a way to find all the 24/192 albums available to stream in Qobuz? I've only found one by chance so far, Velvet Underground.

One way is to search on HDTracks, it has an option to filter by bit-rate, its not guaranteed that the Qobuz stream will be the same bit-rate but try searching for "A Song For You" for example, both are 192/24

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #38,091 of 42,765
the battery was very swollen you can even read the chip specs on the imprint in the protective foam on the side

That's not protective foam - that's appears thermal transfer pad. As far as I can work out the design of the Mojo was using the battery as a sort of heatsink for the FPGA - "shakes head, and facepalms". Mine was the same. However that pad may well be protection to prevent the battery from doing what is described below

...and while i'm not an expert in battery tech from my understanding a swollen battery is dangerous and is increased fire hazard,

Actually a fully charged battery that's not swollen is more of a fire risk than an already swollen battery.

What happens with lithium polymer cells is that after a few charge cycles spiny dendrites begin to form on the electrode, these can continue growing until they pierce the separator and come into contact with the cathode which then short circuits the battery and causes a thermal reaction producing gas. Hence the battery swells with the pressure of the produced gas.

Now this in itself shouldn't be that much of a safety issue as long as the extremities of the battery remain intact. The problem comes when a battery with a high level of charge swells suddenly and the outer protective layer of the the battery is pierced allowing oxygen in - then you have a real problem as the introduction of oxygen will create combustion event at that point. Also typically if a battery gets pierced is usually as a result of a metal component on a circuit board, and that produces further short circuiting and more heat, meaning a more violent thermal event.

A battery of a low level of charge - around 30% or under - typically does not have the energy to produce a combustion event even if pierced as there's not enough heat generated through the short circuit to enable combustion.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #38,092 of 42,765
One way is to search on HDTracks, it has an option to filter by bit-rate, its not guaranteed that the Qobuz stream will be the same bit-rate but try searching for "A Song For You" for example, both are 192/24

The other method is to search on www.findhdmusic.com then look for the Qobuz links

10236323_thumb.png
10236402_thumb.png

Attachments

• Qobuz.png
    Qobuz.png
    328.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Qobuz 2.png
    Qobuz 2.png
    650.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #38,093 of 42,765
I searched for Hi-Res initially but in Qobuz this refers to any music that is 24 bit from 44.1 to 192.

One album I found this way was Moanin' by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers
But this was purely by chance, the other method is to search on www.findhdmusic.com
I did a search for 24/192 then looked for the Qobuz links

10236323_thumb.png

HDTracks.co.uk has a filter by bitrate.

http://www.hdtracks.co.uk/music/hires/index/?bit_rate=15

eg A Farewell To Kings by Rush is 192/24 on HDTracks and Qubuz

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #38,094 of 42,765
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #38,096 of 42,765
I have my friends Mojo with me while i do some comparisons but one thing thats puzzling me is that Mojo does sound thick and rolled off like i remember BUT only with IEMs, with my Sennheiser HD660S its very clear and extended. When i had a Mojo i exclusively used TOTL IEMs, UERR, IE800S and Xelento but they all suffered in the treble area. Seems to be earphones under 32ohms?

@Rob Watts Am i going mad or does the Mojo sound change with 150ohm+ full size headphones? I hear far better clarity and precision with full sized headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #38,097 of 42,765
I’ve been searching and dug up this from 2015

Question to Chord, why the Mojo has a slight treble roll off with an IEM?

White line = Mojo without load , Green line = Mojo with load:

(the slight bass roll of is normal with my sound card)

I would unterstand if we would have a digital filter like with micro iDSD:

But this isn't the case with Mojo and the frequency change is only with a attached IEM. The output impedance is pretty low with 0,075 ohms, this can't be the reason for the treble roll off.

Example with the cheap HRT dSP dac/amp which has 0,5 ohms output impedance, with the same IEM as on Mojo I tested:

(the slight bass roll of is normal with my sound card)

No treble roll off.
I'd like to know as well – and it's definitely audible.

Maybe Rob Watts will answer this?

Its because the OP stage is integrated with the OP filter. This means that Mojo analogue section is very simple, so giving Mojo's transparency, but the downside is a small variation in frequency response with load impedance.

Rob

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #38,098 of 42,765
What do y'all think of this statement about the Mojo I found online? Would like to hear your guys thoughts how you feel about the cymbals

''Cymbals don’t quite “splash” quite right, though the initial impact is right on the money. Perhaps more steel than brass than is realistic.''

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #38,099 of 42,765
Just looking for confirmation that I could connect my Pioneer XDP-100R to the chord Mojo through USB. In that case, I need a Micro-USB to Micro-USB, right ?
All the videos I find on the web are connecting DAP (ie: A&K) to the Mojo through Toslink. Any reason to prefer this connection over the USB ?
Thanks

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #38,100 of 42,765
I have my friends Mojo with me while i do some comparisons but one thing thats puzzling me is that Mojo does sound thick and rolled off like i remember BUT only with IEMs, with my Sennheiser HD660S its very clear and extended. When i had a Mojo i exclusively used TOTL IEMs, UERR, IE800S and Xelento but they all suffered in the treble area. Seems to be earphones under 32ohms?

@Rob Watts Am i going mad or does the Mojo sound change with 150ohm+ full size headphones? I hear far better clarity and precision with full sized headphones.
Yeah definitely. My HD 650 is even ''thicker'' (more full bodied and less clear) from my laptop onboard soundcard than the Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back