Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #37,562 of 42,765
I never get these kinds of questions. The source just passes 1's and 0's to the Mojo, so there shouldn't be a "best", just whatever you want to use that can pass audio digitally.

Am I missing something?

Technically no, it passes Voltage which represents a binary state which we label as 0’s and 1’s. The electrical Voltage can still carry noise which upsets the analogue components in the form of noise floor modulation making the sound artificially brighter. While most DAPs will not be so incompetent that a user will hear a difference between sources (some people do report audible differences), the best connection is to use the optical input which inherently will isolate any electrical noise.

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #37,563 of 42,765
The following equalizer setting on the FiiO X5 II for the SE846 specifically for the Mojo sounds fabulous:

If you have a FiiO player and need numbers (from 31 Hz to 16 kHz):

0.....–1.4.....–1.....–1.....–1.....–2.....–3.8.....–4.8.....–1.....–0.8
Does it mean that FiiO's X5II output isn't bit perfect, when the sound through the Mojo is affected by the EQ?

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #37,564 of 42,765
Not sure how to interpret your question.

Of course the digital signal isn't «bit perfect» anymore, since the DSP changes the sample values. That doesn't mean it's corrupted by any means – it now looks as if the mastering engineer had done some corresponding equalizing beforehand.

With say the Hugo₂ instead of the Mojo the EQ curve would look slightly different, and with the X5 II alone slightly different again – because the analogue signals from all of them have a slightly deviating (perceived) tonal balance.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #37,565 of 42,765
Not sure how to interpret your question.

Of course the digital signal isn't «bit perfect» anymore, since the DSP changes the sample values. That doesn't mean it's corrupted by any means – it now looks as if the mastering engineer had done some corresponding equalizing beforehand.

With say the Hugo₂ instead of the Mojo the EQ curve would look slightly different, and with the X5 II alone slightly different again – because the analogue signals from all of them have a slightly deviating (perceived) tonal balance.
Thanks. I understand the part that the Hugo, Mojo and X5 ii will all sound different on the analogue level. My question is about the vice versa scenario: if the DSP changes the sample values, does also the basic pre-tuned tonality of the player also affects the Mojo's output? Or to put it simpler, do different daps with the EQ off, all sound the same with the Mojo, regardless of their pre-tuned, possibly some dsp involved, tonality?

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #37,566 of 42,765
Thanks. I understand the part that the Hugo, Mojo and X5 ii will all sound different on the analogue level. My question is about the vice versa scenario: if the DSP changes the sample values, does also the basic pre-tuned tonality of the player also affects the Mojo's output? Or to put it simpler, do different daps with the EQ off, all sound the same with the Mojo, regardless of their pre-tuned, possibly some dsp involved, tonality?
DAPs should have no sound tuning by themselves – they only have to channel the digital signals from the data carriers (e.g. microSDXC cards) to a DAC. So the player has no sound on its own, particularly if it transmits the signal bit-perfectly, which means without resampling, which is the norm, unlike with computer operating systems. At least that's the theory. In practice not all digital source devices sound the same, according to my experience even CD transports can sound different. Current knowledge attributes the differences to jitter and RFI – therefore not all DACs are affected to the same degree. My Hugo₁ sounded better with the FiiO X5 II as source than with the original X5 – the sound was cleaner. The DAVE on the other hand showed no such difference during a brief comparison – but I would have to do it again to be sure.

Note that «bit perfection» is of relevance only in terms of resampling (up- or downsampling) – or the absence of it, respectively. DSPs and digital volume controls can't fulfill their tasks if they're not allowed to modify the sample values.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #37,567 of 42,765
DAPs should have no sound tuning by themselves – they only have to channel the digital signals from the data carriers (e.g. microSDXC cards) to a DAC. So the player has no sound on its own, particularly if it transmits the signal bit-perfectly, which means without resampling, which is the norm, unlike with computer operating systems. At least that's the theory. In practice not all digital source devices sound the same, according to my experience even CD transports can sound different. Current knowledge attributes the differences to jitter and RFI – therefore not all DACs are affected to the same degree. My Hugo₁ sounded better with the FiiO X5 II as source than with the original X5 – the sound was cleaner. The DAVE on the other hand showed no such difference during a brief comparison – but I would have to do it again to be sure.

Note that «bit perfection» is of relevance only in terms of resampling (up- or downsampling) – or the absence of it, respectively. DSPs and digital volume controls can't fulfill their tasks if they're not allowed to modify the sample values.
Thanks a lot, great explanation. That was exactly the missing piece of the puzzle I was looking for.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #37,568 of 42,765
I just received the Mojo case. It's an original Chord one.

However really surprised to see it has a magnet to close the case. Why would you want a magnet next to audio electronics? I might be wrong but wouldn't it interfere. ... Also if the Mojo was dropped while in the case. I fear the magnet would pop open and the Mojo fall out. (Not that I intend dropping the Mojo, but accidents happen.)

EDIT: With Mojo case being made of aluminium, it probably blocks magnetism. At least that is what I came up with, after a google.

EDIT: With Mojo case being made of aluminium, it probably blocks the magnetism of the Mojo case lock.. At least that is what I came up with, after a google.

By the way, I love my case.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #37,569 of 42,765
I was listening to the Brandenburg Concertos last night, with Mojo and AKG N40. (Already said N40 pairs with Mojo, incredibly.)

Brandenburg Concertos, with Benjamin Britten conducting the English Chamber Orchestra.

Incredible. I understand now why one of my music teachers was always mentioning the Brandenburg Concertos. At the time I never really understood them so much, but had not heard them fully. With Mojo the play very well.

There are some extra concertos on the double CD too. One being a concerto for violin and oboe. The tonality of the oboe was amazing. ........ At some points in the music I lost track of the fact it was an oboe and just heard the tones. It was like the tones could have been made by any instrument; (not quite but I know what I mean). Also like the music could have been created by almost anyone. I was so focussed on the tones and sounds, that 'momentarily' the music took on sort of a different meaning. (I am struggling to explain myself here. I hope you know what I mean.)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #37,570 of 42,765
i'm currently using my mojo as a dac with my LG Oled tv for late night tv / concert watching.
(loving it)
using optical out from tv to mojo and then to my fostex th X00 cans.

question for anyone doing similar or familiar with the iFi spdif ?
are you using it in in this configuration...this is where i'm trying to find out how to implement it.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/spdif-ipurifier/

Nov 3, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #37,571 of 42,765
i'm currently using my mojo as a dac with my LG Oled tv for late night tv / concert watching.
(loving it)
using optical out from tv to mojo and then to my fostex th X00 cans.

question for anyone doing similar or familiar with the iFi spdif ?
are you using it in in this configuration...this is where i'm trying to find out how to implement it.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/spdif-ipurifier/

I don't know if the equivalent circuitry is built-in to my iFi Micro iDSD, but I have a few different things (Roku, PC, TV, DVD/VCR) connected optically to a 4x4 matrix switch - with one of the outputs going to the optical SPDIF input on my iDSD - and it works well & sounds good.

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #37,572 of 42,765
I just wanted to share my two latest attempts to make a Mojo/DAP combination.

The major change in both from previous versions is the removal of the Mojo from its aluminum case for placement in the 3D printed case.

Here are a couple of pictures of the first new version:
IMG_2049.jpg
IMG_2044.jpg
Here are the components:

Raspberry Pi 3 Mainboard stripped of all ports
Adafruit 2.8" Capacitive Screen 2423
Odroid 3000 mAh battery for the Pi
Adafruit Powerboost 1000c
3 Kingston G2 USB 2.0 microSDHC Readers
4 MicroSD Cards -- 1 for the OS [RuneAudio] and music storage and 3 for music storage alone; tested with 400gb cards; Theoretical total storage of 2.0TB using four 512GB MicroSD cards [not tested]
Adafruit Switch to turn on/off power from the battery to the Pi
Chord Mojo Board without Aluminum, Cover and Balls
3D Print Enclosure 114 x 96.2 x 26 mm

The overall weight of the unit is 284g. I can fit it in a T-Shirt pocket.

The Pi-driven front end battery lasts for about 3 hrs, about half the duration of the Mojo battery. It has 2.4 gHz WiFi. The Raspberry Pi 3B+ has 5 gHz WiFi, but the RuneAudio software for the Pi3B+ is still being developed.

The current design has one rather large flaw, however; three of the MicroSD cards can be accessed only by taking the unit apart. But since the MicroSD card that contains the OS is easily accessible, you can have up to 400 or 500GB of storage to add new music, while using the other 3 cards only if you have a very large collection.

Here are some pictures of the second new unit:
IMG_2050.jpg
IMG_2053.jpg

Here they are side by side:
IMG_2055.jpg

The components are:

Raspberry Pi 3 Mainboard stripped of all ports
Adafruit 2.8" Capacitive Screen 2423
eBay 8000 mAh Lithium Battery
DROK Slim DC 3V to 5V 3A Converter Boost Step Up Voltage Regulator
Icstation TC4056A Micro USB 5V 1A 18650 Lithium Battery Charger Board
NKK MS13ANW03 SPDT Slide 6A Switch from Digikey
Micron 2TB SSD removed from its case, with SATA to USB converter hardwired to one of the Pi's USB ports
MicroSD card (OS + Music)
Chord Mojo without aluminum case and volume balls
3D Print Enclosure 130 x 96.2 x 32 mm
Total weight: 390g

With the much larger battery, the Pi front end lasts as long as the Mojo. The unit shown has about 2.4TB of storage, but has a theoretical maximum storage of 4.5TB, although I haven't tested it with a 4TB SSD or a 512GB MicroSD. It shares the same flaw as the first unit, in that the SSD card is not accessible without disassembling the unit but, again, a large MicroSD card can be used for new music, with the SSD used for those with already very large collections.

While each of these new unit sis contained in one enclosure, each is made up of 2 separate devices: the Pi front end, which is attached via USB to the Mojo. This means that each unit has two batteries that have to be charged regularly, and each has two on-off switches. The Mojo balls have been replaced by screws inside springs screwed into plastic standoffs. Protrusions from the standoffs make contact with the appropriate spots on the circuit board for power and volume.

The major advantage of these units is that they are entirely self-contained; while they can be controlled via WiFi from another device, like a phone or PC, you don't have to. Also, Tidal can be streamed through these systems, but it requires a bit of work, and it is not what they were built for.

Of course, the plastic enclosures are nowhere near as sturdy or safe from the environment as aluminum but, with care, I haven't had any issues so far. The software is probably not quite as plug and play as some would wish but, on the other hand, it is all open source so it can be customized a great deal.

My continuing hope is that Chord will consider making something like these for the Mojo.

P.S. Since the onset of cooler weather, I have been using a Hugo2/DAP, which will be posted on the Hugo 2 Thread.

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 4, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #37,574 of 42,765
I have already introduced my 3D printed case for the Mojo-HiBy R3 combo, and I have been enjoying this little magic sound brick a lot!

But for taking it with me I had to wrap it in a towel and put it in a bag for protection, so I went back to the drawing board and came up with a transport box that keeps the Mojo and R3 perfectly safe. And here is the first functional sample!
F436D60F-3795-4258-B5EA-15D78D2451DF.jpeg FB5DCF63-6D8E-4888-B817-5B1462B2A122.jpeg B3499155-C249-495F-A11E-86A611059C11.jpeg 1AAB3BF7-15C7-42E9-A2C4-1152BB474642.jpeg E9ED29A1-D4B6-4EEA-8145-29D9FE747CF9.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #37,575 of 42,765
Nice! I pretty much have assumed your sig recently first with R3, then some mojo, then the Nightowl haha. Need to get these printed now to try out.

I have already introduced my 3D printed case for the Mojo-HiBy R3 combo, and I have been enjoying this little magic sound brick a lot!

But for taking it with me I had to wrap it in a towel and put it in a bag for protection, so I went back to the deawing board and came up with a transport box that keeps the Mojo and R3 perfectly safe. And here is the first functional sample!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back