Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #36,781 of 42,765
Chord should just sell these batteries on their website or distribute several to dealers across the country. Dealers could then offer to change the battery for the user, or sell the battery so the user may install it themselves.

The battery is extremely simple to install and does not require a soldering iron like the original Hugo.

Whole process should take 10-15 mins tops.

Jun 24, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #36,782 of 42,765
I question the dictionary that you are using.
There have been reports of maybe half a dozen usb port failures, from 50,000+ Mojos that have been shipped. A failure rate approaching one per 10,000 units shipped, hardly counts as 'major'.
Frustrating for you, but hardly major.
You also mention 'they offer a battery exchange for a staggering £75 including shipping', which is quite a reasonable price given that some service centres have charged $250.
What price would you describe as 'reasonable'?

For a battery that fail every 18 month, I consider this should be disposable at £30 max since it is either a bad choice of component or dreadful design decision. The replacement is fairly simple and only involve removing the screw, and clipping the new battery. But more to my point, Chord should be much more explicit in their manual that this device is not suited for desktop usage, with clear warning in the manual, I know people who are considering this unit as a desktop DAC for computer and other setup. This device has clearly not been designed for this usage and this should clearly be stated on the box and warning in the manual in my opinion.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #36,783 of 42,765
For a battery that fail every 18 month, I consider this should be disposable at £30 max since it is either a bad choice of component or dreadful design decision. The replacement is fairly simple and only involve removing the screw, and clipping the new battery. But more to my point, Chord should be much more explicit in their manual that this device is not suited for desktop usage, with clear warning in the manual, I know people who are considering this unit as a desktop DAC for computer and other setup. This device has clearly not been designed for this usage and this should clearly be stated on the box and warning in the manual in my opinion.
The Mojo is clearly marketed as a mobile device on the Chord site https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product-range/mobile-range/ , and has consistently been described by chord as a mobile device, ever since the device was released.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #36,784 of 42,765
There have been many posts providing feedback that Apple chargers, Samsung chargers, and Anker chargers work well, so those are the three brands that I normally recommend.

Just to elaborate on the above.

Buzzing of mojo internals.

I have had 3 mojos, all of them started to buzz when charging is nearly finished, the first one, once after I had it for a few weeks, I plugged it in and thought it was going to blow up, the noise coming from it was a REALLY loud clicking sound, it was so loud, I really thought it was going to explode. Dont know what caused that.

All of my mojos buzz when nearing full charge, its happened with apple ipad 2amp charger, anker 4.8amp charger, anker 22000mah battery backup, samsung galaxy charger and others and also when plugged into a usb port on my pc’s.

So, lets narrow it down.

3 mojos ranging from early to mid to high serial numbers, they all buzzed on a variety of chargers connected to the mains and not connected to the mains.

Whats the common factor in all of this ?

Either the mains suppy which if I am correct can be + - 7% of 230v roughly upto 256v

or mojo itself.

I will assume its mojos fault and not a fault with every single charging device I own or the mains power.

If it is all my devices, that means, all my many chargers are broke, my computer”S” are all broke, my monitor is broke, my backup battery is broke, all my houses wall sockets are broke. < house has also been rewired completely and it still happens.

I just think its a flaw intrinsic to mojos design or to one of its components.

nothing else of mine buzzess when being charged.

Harmful ? Probably not as has been said by Chord, annoying, yes and I dont believe that its caused solely by inadequate chargers as per chords advice.

Thats my take on it.

Glad to report that poly nor hugo 2 buzz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 24, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #36,785 of 42,765
Just to elaborate on the above.

Buzzing of mojo internals.

I have had 3 mojos, all of them started to buzz when charging is nearly finished, the first one, once after I had it for a few weeks, I plugged it in and thought it was going to blow up, the noise coming from it was a REALLY loud clicking sound, it was so loud, I really thought it was going to explode. Dont know what caused that.

All of my mojos buzz when nearing full charge, its happened with apple ipad 2amp charger, anker 4.8amp charger, anker 22000mah battery backup, samsung galaxy charger and others and also when plugged into a usb port on my pc’s.

So, lets narrow it down.

3 mojos ranging from early to mid to high serial numbers, they all buzzed on a variety of chargers connected to the mains and not connected to the mains.

Whats the common factor in all of this ?

Either the mains suppy which if I am correct can be + - 7% of 230v roughly upto 256v

or mojo itself.

I will assume its mojos fault and not a fault with every single charging device I own or the mains power.

If it is all my devices, that means, all my many chargers are broke, my computer”S” are all broke, my monitor is broke, my backup battery is broke, all my houses wall sockets are broke. < house has also been rewired completely and it still happens.

I just think its a flaw intrinsic to mojos design or to one of its components.

nothing else of mine buzzess when being charged.

Harmful ? Probably not as has been said by Chord, annoying, yes and I dont believe that its caused solely by inadequate chargers as per chords advice.

Thats my take on it.

Glad to report that poly nor hugo 2 buzz.

As covered a bazillion times, and addressed in the third post of this thread in the battery and charging section... the noise is fine. :)

Originally Posted by Rob Watts /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The problem is a noisy USB VBUS power line, & this makes the inductors in Mojo vibrate. Also, some USB cables have high resistance, & this makes the problem worse - so using a different cable can make the mechanical noise go away. The PSU itself can make it better or worse. Don't worry about it if you hear the noise, Mojo is not faulty & will continue to be reliable.

Rob

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #36,786 of 42,765
As covered a bazillion times, and addressed in the third post of this thread in the battery and charging section... the noise is fine. :)

I was just pointing out that the buzzing happens on basically every charger/wire I have and has done it on every single mojo I have had my hands on, regardless of what device charges it or wire I use.

As BT used to say.

Its good to talk, but no need to re-quote a quote thats been quoted a bazillion quotes before :)

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #36,787 of 42,765
Apologies @Phuca but it read to me like you weren’t sure what was happening.

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #36,788 of 42,765
Apologies @Phuca but it read to me like you weren’t sure what was happening.

To be honest I am not sure.

I knew about the post and I knew that when it buzzess, its ok and it wont die or explode, but, some peoples mojos do not buzz but all 3 of mine have from day one.

Now, if I only had one mojo and one charger, I could say, it my chargers fault, but it happens on all my chargers.

Was mojo built with the intention of buzzing ? No and I think their is more to it than its the inductors, if so why doesnt hugo or poly buzz ?

A while back, I was messing about in the house and noticed that my 230volt mains was actually 249/50 even 51. Kinda high for something thats built with 230v in mind however, upto 253 volts is allowed for UK mains.

I think that my high mains maybe the culprit ? Possibly other peoples mojo that dont buzz, maybe their mains is nearer 230 or even under ?

Its all speculation and it gets cloudier because a battery unconnected to the mains also made mojo buzz.

I dont understand why a swathe of people dont get buzzing and others do if they are all identical and all use exactly the same components ?

Its not a big deal, its just that when I get bored, I start trying to solve problems that dont need solving and end up making things ten times worse.

:)

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #36,789 of 42,765
Mine buzzes the last few minutes only. If I flip it upside down, the buzzing gets very quiet, almost gone but not quite. Certainly
odd!

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #36,790 of 42,765
The Mojo is clearly marketed as a mobile device on the Chord site https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product-range/mobile-range/ , and has consistently been described by chord as a mobile device, ever since the device was released.

Yes understand you are not concerned by this design issue as you use your Mojo as a mobile DAC.

But for anyone else who was considering to use the Mojo as a desktop device, please be warned that the device has significant flaws in that setup, including USB damage and battery performance loss due to various consideration (e.g. heat, battery used, circuit for charging).

I was unfortunately not aware of these limitations but hopefully you are now if you are reading this forum. Chord suggest the following : “...we do recommend unplugging the unit and letting it discharge every 3-4 weeks just to keep the battery health...” which I found out after contacting them for repair.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #36,791 of 42,765
Yes understand you are not concerned by this design issue as you use your Mojo as a mobile DAC.

But for anyone else who was considering to use the Mojo as a desktop device, please be warned that the device has significant flaws in that setup, including USB damage and battery performance loss due to various consideration (e.g. heat, battery used, circuit for charging).

I was unfortunately not aware of these limitations but hopefully you are now if you are reading this forum. Chord suggest the following : “...we do recommend unplugging the unit and letting it discharge every 3-4 weeks just to keep the battery health...” which I found out after contacting them for repair.
I have been following this thread for nearly three years, and trying to post helpful advice for other users for most of that time.
This means I am aware of all the issues people experience, and how to solve those issues. I also have a good feeling for what are major design flaws, and what are mere inconveniences.
I am so delighted that you have appeared out of nowhere, and after just 3 posts on head-fi, are pointing out to me where i have been misunderstanding things all along.

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #36,793 of 42,765

I purchased a Mojo in March of 2016 to use as a portable setup and a second Mojo in April of 2016 for use in my desktop setup. Both are still working great in their respective environments. I have had no problems with either of them. Of course, I manage them like I do any battery powered device and do use reasonable care when plugging in the connectors. While they are certainly not foolproof, I would certainly not consider them to have significant flaws. Chord's suggestion about the battery is common sense to people who use their battery powered portable devices in a manner to maximize battery life. Just wanted to comment to let people know that your concerns are not shared by every Mojo owner and that with a little care and understanding it can be used in both situations successfully.

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #36,794 of 42,765

As pointed out it’s not a design issue as it’s designed to be mobile and not plugged into the mains constantly on a desktop. So that is not a flaw either. It’s a mobile device, it’s marketed as a mobile device. It’s like buying a mobile phone and binning your landline phone and leaving the mobile phone plugged permanently into the mains. The same thing would happen to the phones battery too.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #36,795 of 42,765
Hello guys! I need help :wink:
I want to connect Mojo to my DAP, Shozy Alien+. There are so many cables out there I don't know which one I should buy to get the best SQ... toslink? Coax? Other? I'm totally lost...
could anyone please tell me what cable would be the best in terms of SQ and what cable endings I need to make it work? Appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back