Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 3, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #3,601 of 42,765
KT66, yellow indicates 88.2 kHz, not DSD. My guess is the iBasso is converting DSD to PCM through coaxial just like the FiiO DAPs.

You can find the sampling rate information on the box.

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #3,602 of 42,765
thanks X

sounds great anyway

Nov 3, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #3,603 of 42,765
Nov 3, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #3,604 of 42,765
Is Mojo worse than Hugo? I'm a little confused - for portable use Mojo 1. not worse 2. compact while retaining all the advantages of Hugo. Is Hugo users should to go and sell their devices until its not too late? :D

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #3,605 of 42,765
Didn't Rob already mention that the Mojo is well insulated and it's the cable that acts as an antennae for RF / EMI. When I tested it I only had noise, pops, clicks when on 2G/Edge networks and WiFi didn't interfere with the signal AFAIK. The killer for me was getting a message on my phone and hearing it through the Mojo. Last time I want listen to my phone ring through my headphones. Easy decision for me after that to use airplane mode, or a DAP.

In that case why not supply a good quality OTG cable with the Mojo. It wouldn't cost much at all but would enhance Chord's reputation. You can't claim your product is a perfect match for smartphones if it isn't, very misleading.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #3,606 of 42,765
and I have had no interference on the Z5 from Mojo, mind you they aren't held together

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #3,607 of 42,765
In that case why not supply a good quality OTG cable with the Mojo. It wouldn't cost much at all but would enhance Chord's reputation. You can't claim your product is a perfect match for smartphones if it isn't, very misleading.

I don't think you quite understood how phones pollute amp/DACs, a good cable is important but not enough to sort your problem entirely, remember that you strapped the phone onto the Mojo and that's what causes it to dial into your DAC, literally. The cable from the USB connection through the Mojo is relatively clean (so to speak) so even if Chord provides the "cord" it won't prevent RF making it into the DAC.

and I have had no interference on the Z5 from Mojo, mind you they aren't held together

Unfortunately and maybe fortunately it's not all the phones which suffer from this RF debacle so maybe we should list the ones that are Mojo friendly. :wink:

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #3,608 of 42,765

That was a criticism in my review. I wonder if the trouble is predicting all the variables with different sources. Your guess is as good as mine.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #3,609 of 42,765
That was a criticism in my review. I wonder if the trouble is predicting all the variables with different sources. Your guess is as good as mine.

It's an interesting point. I know there has been a run on early AKs (100, 120 etc) to complement the Mojo's diminutive size in a mini-stack, but one of the joys of my Hugo is that it takes over DAC and amp duties from my smartphone. I.e. It pairs beautifully with a smartphone that holds good quality music files, which is a very convenient dynamic in today's world of smartphones that can store a lot of decent quality music.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #3,610 of 42,765
I don't think you quite understood how phones pollute amp/DACs, a good cable is important but not enough to sort your problem entirely, remember that you strapped the phone onto the Mojo and that's what causes it to dial into your DAC, literally. The cable from the USB connection through the Mojo is relatively clean (so to speak) so even if Chord provides the "cord" it won't prevent RF making it into the DAC.

So many different opinions on what causes it but that's not the point. The marketing is misleading as it is not as compatible as the manufacturer is claiming. Why make something that sounds so great until a text message turns it to crap. Using airplane mode is not a satisfactory remedy, that's like having a car that drives great until you go round a corner and suggesting only driving in a straight line.

Chord should have put a disclaimer out that says "you may experience interference with certain mobile phones and/or cables".

My issue is that the marketing is geared heavily towards the mobile phone user.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #3,611 of 42,765
It's an interesting point. I know there has been a run on early AKs (100, 120 etc) to complement the Mojo's diminutive size in a mini-stack, but one of the joys of my Hugo is that it takes over DAC and amp duties from my smartphone. I.e. It pairs beautifully with a smartphone that holds good quality music files, which is a very convenient dynamic in today's world of smartphones that can store a lot of decent quality music.

I would prefer to leave my smartphone alone and use the music function for when one is feeling lazy so to speak.
I see the Mojo as being paired with a basic DAP eg Sony A10/A20, Fiio X1/X3ii for example, or paired with a premium DAP when you need some extra oomph for harder-to-drive cans.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #3,613 of 42,765

that's the market Mojo was essentially designed for, hth.

What do you mean hth ? how does that help ?

Tell your friends at Chord that there are lot's of phones on the market that their product was "essentially designed for" that prevent users from enjoying the full quality of the Mojo due to interference, in other words stop ducking the issue lol

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #3,614 of 42,765
My dealer has tested my faulty unit. It confirms the whining problem.

He sends me back a Mojo that he has tested before.

I recommend Fanthorpes for those, in UK or Europe, who are searching for a Mojo and for a efficient and responsive dealer.

My Mojo was bought one day and shipped the same day!

Hope this problem is definitely solved but I think that Chord Electronics has to understand quickly the reasons of these problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back