Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 2, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #3,541 of 42,765
Anyone got shipping information about 2nd batch? I ordered Mojo from moon-audio at night of 10/15, and I sent email twice to moon-audio but no reply from them.

When I called I was told I was in the second batch. No notice yet for me. I hope to receive a notice tomorrow. Or maybe an update saying that they received their shipment and are moving through their orders as quickly as they can.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #3,542 of 42,765
If you look at our friends photos, notice the moon audio dragon 75 ohm digital cable, it's not an analog cable but truly digital. For an audiophile, every once of performance is needed in order to get the clearest signal unaltered from the source. Sure the Mojo will work with the analog cable but it won't be performing at it's best.

Any desktop unit you connect in your audiophile system either use the digital 75 ohm or the AES 110 ohm cables, that's just how those were specified by the audio manufacturers for component to component interfacing. It allows everyone to match one system to another. It's all about interfacing. If you do not match the two units then reflection could occur and can degrade the signal, what makes it more problematic is that you're dealing with digital instead of analog. It might not mean a huge deal for such a short cable length but for digital it's jitter you want to avoid.

Does that mean the Moon Audio cable sounds better than the Sys Concept one 

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #3,544 of 42,765

I HAVE received the micro usb to usb converter that a nice person on here mentioned and unfortunately the one I received is too recessed to connect well on the micro side. At least on my Dx90. There may be a different version that extends farther.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #3,545 of 42,765

Digital transmission is based on SPDIF standard which transmits data and clock information as an encoded signal usually using PCM, that information is decoded on the Mojo into data and clock signal so it's important that the encoded information be jittered free and not degraded over short distance.

The USB transmission on the other end is a device to device transmission mechanism using an encoding scheme and handshaking mechanism, it is usually stream based so more tolerant to poorer wire as frames are transmitted and decoded from the source to the target device. The target device will reconstruct the data and clock signal from the frame and then feed it to the DAC to be analog reconstructed and eventually band pass filtered to remove any residual high and low frequency signals out of the audio band.I still think you need to keep the USB cable short but it is more tolerant of longer lengths up to a limit.

To make a story short, the short USB cable is fine but an analog cable used as a digital one is just a bad idea. Again, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your intelligent and lucid explanations. If you don't mind a related question:

Clock jitter -- What is clock jitter? The reason I ask is that in considering different DAPs to use as transports to output a digital signal to the Mojo, I've seen some varying specs for clock jitter on different DAPs, as follows:

AK100 90 ps (pico seconds)

AK120 50 "

AK240 50 "

Question: Does clock jitter degrade the digital signal before it's send out from the DAP? Or are they referring to clock jitter of the internal dac, in which case clock jitter doesn't matter since the signal never reaches the dac (it's been output beforehand)?

If clock jitter degrades the signal before it's sent out, then it appears that the AK100 is not as good a transport as the other two. But would the difference be discernible?

Thx

I think Rob Watts in effect answered the question in his post: "1. SPDIF decoding is all digital within the FPGA. The FPGA uses a digital phase lock loop (DPLL) and a tiny buffer. This re-clocks the data and eliminates the incoming jitter from the source. This system took 6 years to perfect, and means that the sound quality defects from source jitter is eliminated."

I have been wondering about jitter too. The reason why is because on the Chord Hugo, only one of the USB inputs is asynchronously clocked by the Hugo. That being the USB HD input. The SD USB input on the Hugo is not asynchronous.

Very puzzling because we are told that to reduce jitter, to bypass the clocks on eg our PCs, tablets etc. There is no mention of asynchronous clocking on the Mojo. Going by the Hugo example of the Mojo being HD input, I suppose it's asynchronous.

I am baffled why the SD input on the Hugo is not asynchronous. Plus why they don't make a point of highlighting that the Mojo is asynchronous. If it isn't asynchronous then maybe it's really aimed at use with DAPs that clock well.

The Rob Watts explanation I suppose covers it, because we normally consider optical as synchronous. It's just that it stood out to me what Chord say about the Hugo. That the HD USB input uses the high quality clock chip in the Hugo.

It stands to reason that all Chord DAC USB inputs would be asynchronous. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #3,548 of 42,765
Anyone got shipping information about 2nd batch? I ordered Mojo from moon-audio at night of 10/15, and I sent email twice to moon-audio but no reply from them.

They have never emailed you back because they expect you to know that IF you do not get notified your Mojo shipment on 11/2 then yours is going to be in the 3rd batch which is middle of November. My order was received on 10/15 in the afternoon and I have not got any notifications yet? If mine is not arrived on November 15 I am gonna cancel it.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #3,549 of 42,765
  So for those of you pairing the Mojo with the AK100ii and/or AK120 (original). Can I get a description of how the Mojo headphone out is better than the heaphone out of these DAPs? Is it more transparent/detailed?

Well HD800 doesn't go a loud directly off of AK100 Mk2 than on Mojo 
tongue_smile.gif

I like how T51p sounds like with AK100Mk2 alone, but with Mojo everythings sounds more realistic and detailed especially the cymbals. The bass appears to have more weight and better controlled. 

However, given the weight/bulk the difference in SQ may not be enough to justify lugging a stack when out and about.

For me the biggest draw of Mojo and going with the stack (again) is because how well it can drive full sized headphones in a small package.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #3,553 of 42,765
Hi Taz23, thanks for the reply! I am using the iphone wall charger. The white light is stable and not blink. How is normal charging like? Will the charging light goes off after fully charge? Can I on the mojo when charging?

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #3,554 of 42,765

Just wondering if any of you that had orders nominally slated for the 2nd batch (as delayed from last week) from Moon Audio have seen a shipping notification yet?

When did you order? I have not seen any notifications of 2nd batch since I believe my order was received on 10/15/15 in the afternoon. What is about yours?

My original order was on 10/15 around 13:00 PST.

I cancelled that after the shipment that was supposed to arrive on 10/27 didn't arrive, the arrival date got moved back a week on the web-site with no other notification, and my subsequent inquiry as to how likely that was to be a real date was met with a response, essentially, of "we can't guarantee how many we'll get or when they'll arrive". 

I posted since I was curious as to whether my gut feeling to cancel turned out to be right or not.

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #3,555 of 42,765
Hi Taz23, thanks for the reply! I am using the iphone wall charger. The white light is stable and not blink. How is normal charging like? Will the charging light goes off after fully charge? Can I on the mojo when charging?

The small cube charger with the fixed prongs or the larger one (like with the iPad) that has the fold-out plug? (at least in the US)

The small cube one doesn't have much amperage to charge something like the Mojo IME. I now use the Anker PowerPort 2 which is rated for 24W and 4.8A. 

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back