Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #34,711 of 42,765
I haven't posted in this thread in awhile! It's too much work to keep up with all the posts now since I'm doing so many other things.

I think that @Music Alchemist has recommended an interface like this on one of the threads https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0023BYDHK
It avoids the need to plug devices into the motherboard.

Yep, I used the UCA202 to output optical to the Mojo.

I also use it as a DAC at the moment. (Keeping costs down until I upgrade to higher-end speakers, then I'll get back into high-end DACs.)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #34,712 of 42,765
Quick question: What the benefits using Mojo as dac with some valve amp like the little dot iv? It deserves the money?

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #34,713 of 42,765
Quick question: What the benefits using Mojo as dac with some valve amp like the little dot iv? It deserves the money?
Does somebody here use Roon (for desktop) and Tidal (for mobile) like me?

Just to ask another opinion about the SQ with the Mojo of them.

Wonder if deserve to create another "Roon station" or continue to just use Tidal for mobile with the Mojo.

I could make an AB test myself, but now I am focused to make other AB test and don't want to confuse myself :)

To my ears, Roon,s protocol sounds better than Airplay. That is using Poly as an end point with Mojo and compared to using Poly as Airplay to Mojo (you can do either).

Unless you headphones require more power to reach a certain listening level with the type of music you are playing, then the benefit of adding any amp is only to adjust the sound to your liking. This is not a bad thing and may make all the difference in your listening pleasure.

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #34,714 of 42,765
To my ears, Roon,s protocol sounds better than Airplay. That is using Poly as an end point with Mojo and compared to using Poly as Airplay to Mojo (you can do either).

Unless you headphones require more power to reach a certain listening level with the type of music you are playing, then the benefit of adding any amp is only to adjust the sound to your liking. This is not a bad thing and may make all the difference in your listening pleasure.

Would you say its a big difference? I should receive the tour Poly this Friday and I'll definitely make sure to try Roon along with Airplay and Bluetooth.

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #34,715 of 42,765

I meant: mobile/tidal/mojo and desktop/roon/mojo/asio. :)

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #34,716 of 42,765
I can recommend the Schiit Wyrd.

Many thanks. Lots of choice now. I didn't know what the Wyrd gadget was until now, but I've seen it mentioned.

I am painfully looking at the Chord Hugo 2, so I''d want my signals as clean as possible. However even if I stick with Mojo for a while, I want to make it as solid and fine sounding as possible.

(I'd be surprised though if I make it a week without giving in to the craving for a Hugo 2. I have been working my way though the Hugo 2 thread. I decided I had questions to look at answers for first before making my choice. I'm agonising agonising over 2Qute and Hugo TT too. .. Having said that, I very recently upgraded my desktop audio rig, and so the Mojo is sounding even better. (My previous desktop Q Acoustics BT3 just weren't cutting it really, although good for their price.)

On the Hugo 2 thread, I've made it to page 280 so far. Most of the first 200 pages were pure speculation. It means you can skim read for signs from people that have a Hugo 2, or Rob's posts. Still takes an eon though, like yesterday I was at it reading, for least half a day.)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #34,717 of 42,765
Would you say its a big difference? I should receive the tour Poly this Friday and I'll definitely make sure to try Roon along with Airplay and Bluetooth.

I would say big as in when listening I say say, “ouch, that is clearly on the wrong input!” They are close, but with extended listening Roon sounds a bit smoother, more relaxed. Maybe it has better timing, which Mojo is very good at conveying.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #34,718 of 42,765
Not tried, here the manual:
"In order to use USB audio you will require an Apple device running iOS6 or later and it needs the
lightning connector
rather than the old 30 pin connector.
You require the Apple camera connection kit which will enable a standard USB connection from the
lightning port. Use this cable with the short USB to micro USB cable to connect Mojo. All audio will
then play through Mojo."

But apple cck is only compatible with iOS 9.0 and above.

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #34,719 of 42,765
is it normal for the mojo headphone connector to be 'picky' about which headphone jack connectors it accepts. i find my oppo pm1 3.5mm jack did not fit but when attached to a grado adaptor all is ok after a bit of adjustment. for eg in one port its difficult to get sound however in the other port it needs minimal adjustment to get full vibrant sound. when i use my beyer dt880 3.5mm connector however it fits perfectly with a click into both mojo ports with full sound instantly no worries. i would like to know if this kind of behaviour can be normal for mojo? i know other connections experience various issues at times. currently using pm1 with grado adaptor and sounds excellent.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #34,720 of 42,765
is it normal for the mojo headphone connector to be 'picky' about which headphone jack connectors it accepts. i find my oppo pm1 3.5mm jack did not fit but when attached to a grado adaptor all is ok after a bit of adjustment. for eg in one port its difficult to get sound however in the other port it needs minimal adjustment to get full vibrant sound. when i use my beyer dt880 3.5mm connector however it fits perfectly with a click into both mojo ports with full sound instantly no worries. i would like to know if this kind of behaviour can be normal for mojo? i know other connections experience various issues at times. currently using pm1 with grado adaptor and sounds excellent.

The jack on the "bulb" side of mine has been picky as hell, I think that's a common issue.

It's a good thing the Mojo sounds so good, I wouldn't put up with this crap normally.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #34,721 of 42,765
Many thanks. Lots of choice now. I didn't know what the Wyrd gadget was until now, but I've seen it mentioned.

I am painfully looking at the Chord Hugo 2, so I''d want my signals as clean as possible. However even if I stick with Mojo for a while, I want to make it as solid and fine sounding as possible.

Optical s/pdif isn't without it's problems and many would say it's much more jitter prone than USB whereas USB runs into problems on the receiving end if there is a lot of noise and it amps up the processing ... Schiit clearly seems to be going the USB route, choosing to clean up the USB and then outputs to coax s/pdif in the Eitr and recently adding in its Gen 5 USB. There's also rumors they're working on their own USB chipset to handle the processing load.

I started out using optical on the mojo out of my MacBook but have switched to USB as I notice no difference in light A/B testing and USB is just much more convenient. As for the Hugo, I just don't get the argument for it when you could buy endgame DAC & tube amp for the same price or multiple of them (e.g. woo audio WA2 and schiit gumby) or if you need transportable you could get woo WA8 and new set of nice headphones. But the heart wants what it wants.

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #34,722 of 42,765
the hugo2 is just about its unmatched sq at this price range. it drives nearly all cans well. wyrd and such devices just add rf interference making the sound brighter which is mistakingly perceived as being better imho.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #34,723 of 42,765
or if you need transportable you could get woo WA8 and new set of nice headphones. But the heart wants what it wants.

The WA8 is rather low on its power output, very low battery life, and a rather pedestrian ESS DAC (IMO). Combine that with a warm lush sound and not very impressive distortion levels and it may not be for everyone for the price. I’m not saying the sound is bad, but perhaps not for everyone. As you say ‘the heart wants what the heart wants’.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #34,725 of 42,765
Hey guys,

I wanted to connect my Mojo to an external amp using the line level mode (press both volume buttons while switching on). As per the manual, the volume balls should illuminate light blue but mine doesn't, it lights up in purple. What gives? Also, if I turn it off and turn back on, it stays on purple when supposedly it should be reset back on previous volume before it was set to line level mode, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back