Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 1, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #3,436 of 42,765
Of course we pre-suppose good quality music files and good IEMs, or CIEMs, etc.
A mobile phone might have interference etc but a decent DAP should be more than acceptable? For example, would the extra DAC and extra amp in the Fiio X5ii really be discernible over a X3ii when Mojo-ed?

I don't have a Mojo and I don't use my phone to play music. I have tried it just to see how it sounds, its okay, nothing great. I have a Galaxy S4. Then we have the flip side, I heard the K10 earlier this year at a show out of someones phone. He uses Tidal or one of the streaming services, it sounded amazing with the song he had me listen to. Not sure which phone he had though.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #3,437 of 42,765
From what I can see the base AK100 is 3 years old, having released around Nov. 2012, while the AK100 mkII (the 3 ohm impedance version with the same chassis) is 2 years old, having gone on sale in November 2013. 

Now the AK100II (not to be confused with the AK100 mkII) with the whole new body was released around June/July 2014. 

Cheers 

Well, they are what, about 2 years old now?

Apologies. I distinctly remember that it came out in 2014.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #3,438 of 42,765
Is there any difference in SQ on the inputs - optical/coax/usb ?

Is this better used with a DAP vs a phone as there may be EMI sensitivity ?

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #3,439 of 42,765
Of course we pre-suppose good quality music files and good IEMs, or CIEMs, etc.
A mobile phone might have interference etc but a decent DAP should be more than acceptable? For example, would the extra DAC and extra amp in the Fiio X5ii really be discernible over a X3ii when Mojo-ed?

When you digital out, you're not using the DAP's DAC and AMP. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #3,442 of 42,765
debatable, only true digi out that does not go through the dac in usb out

Wrong. If the signal went through the DAC it would come out analogue and the Mojo would not accept it.

Is there any difference in SQ on the inputs - optical/coax/usb ?

Is this better used with a DAP vs a phone as there may be EMI sensitivity ?

I pretty much heard no difference between digital inputs on the Mojo. The Mojo does show EMI interference, but mostly on 2G/Edge networks.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #3,443 of 42,765
So a DAP with USB OTG is theoretically "best"?

Depending on the sampling rate or file format. Given the same file with a sampling rate that all inputs can handle there is really no difference in SQ.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #3,446 of 42,765
if Digital is truly 0 and 1, explain me hearing different Sound sign from different players

Expectation bias? File decoding capability? SoC DSP? I didn't say that different players don't sound different. I said that I (me, and myself) don't really hear a difference from using different digital inputs on the Mojo. I can't speak for others. I do know that the digital signal sent from a smartphone or DAP does not go through the DAC. The DACs job is to convert to analogue. That's it. A digital output bypasses the DAC.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #3,447 of 42,765
DACS more about lowering distortion and permanent hardwired EQ.

DAC: Digital to Analogue Converter. How well it does this is a factor of the noise / distortion it outputs.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #3,449 of 42,765
What about Todd The Vinyl Junkie?

I'll be damn, they do have it and they have the AK100 mk2 at 375$ too, that's a heck of a bargain.

I would have thought that it would be more than acceptable to have the Mojo paired with a "decent" budget DAP like the Fiio X3ii since the Mojo would be doing the heavy lifting?

Never tried the X3ii as I still have my trusted X5 I use daily so that guy would definitively work with the Mojo, I am sure the X3ii would too.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #3,450 of 42,765
Lower of distortion and altering frequency is part of EQ

DACs don't handle the EQ. That's either done in software on the SoC (silicone on a chip) or in the analogue stage through hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back