Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 31, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #3,331 of 42,765
I believe a requirement of using the camera kit Apple chip inside your product is complete design disclosure to Apple engineering hardware software the lot. We might be a bit mad but we're not totally crazy. If we had not much technology to hide. Say if we were just using a industry Dac chip we wouldn't have a problem in doing this, but for us today it's a very different story. This is why we will soon offer a plug in module that swallows the official Apple Camera adaptor leaving just the Lightning tale to plug into the I phone.

x RELIC x see above post by Mojo ideas about the add-on module.

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #3,332 of 42,765
Hopefully Chord take advantage of the remaining free space in the CCK-swalling add-on and stick an additional battery in there.  Otherwise it seems like an unnecessarily big block just to hide one end of a cable.

Seeing as the battery's micro USB port is built in to the shown prototype it looks like it may be possible. Again, who knows what the final product will end up being like. Would be great to have extended battery life as well.

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #3,333 of 42,765

Yea, this one. It does in fact seem to be MFI certified in that prototype, yet Chord said the accessory will work with the CCK. You can't go off a pic of an accessory prototype as they may not be the final implementation or certification in order to sell to customers. If Chord does get around this then I'll happily retract what I've said.

Hope they release, or share official news about the add-ons soon!!

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #3,334 of 42,765

You quoted the same link I pointed you to. It says the add-on will swallow the CCK, not replace it. You are proving my point. Thank you. No MFI in the foreseeable future.

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3,337 of 42,765
look back to about page 190ish or later, I'm not starting that conversation again!! (You'll see why!)

thanks for the pointer. I guess it might be somewhat second order then.

on another note: my reading so far is that the Mojo is great as a DAC. Can someone give my some comparison of how great it is an an amp? I have the Violectric v200, I presume the Mojo would play a league below, right?

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #3,339 of 42,765

Yea, this one. It does in fact seem to be MFI certified in that prototype, yet Chord said the accessory will work with the CCK. You can't go off a pic of an accessory prototype as they may not be the final implementation or certification in order to sell to customers. If Chord does get around this then I'll happily retract what I've said.

Looks like @Relic you're right and got my answer from a prior poster for the new extensions:

"The other plates will be a Bluetooth, a Wifi (UPNP) and/or a SD card reader. The Bluetooth butt plate allows connection to Bluetooth without cables (need to hear this as cables usually produce better sound). The Wifi butt plate allows connection to an UPNP device like a computer to pull audio from a mass music library. And the SD card reader is for audio file storage."

Looking at the pic, I hope that the new extensions will be more refined and in harmony with the Mojo but got to say it's giving it more legs, just wondering how much.

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #3,342 of 42,765
The button is big enough and easy to access from inside a pouch or a bag. Any portable DAP with a digital output should work just fine. But pairing Mojo + the original AK100 is the most compact and neat stack you can get. The have eerily similar dimensions. I know Chord designed Mojo to be used for smartphones. But stacking it with any smartphone just looks cumbersome especially with iPhones.

As soon as the modules are available,the ipod touch will be a perfect match.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #3,343 of 42,765
As soon as the modules are available,the ipod touch will be a perfect match.

It already is. With the CCK camera kit and a USB A to micro B adapter all you need is ONE cable. The only limitation is the 128GB storage which for me is not a limitation because I do not plan on being stranded on a desert island with power but away from my iMac. With the lightning cable swapping music takes seconds per gigabyte. Further it has the best user interface and the fastest most efficient processor (Apple's A8) in the DAP world. Only the iPhone 6 (slightly) and 6s is faster. I would love to see the Geek Bench test of any AK processor.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #3,344 of 42,765
Glass Toslink cable to mini 3.5mm

I've been looking around for a small glass Toslink to mini cable that would be usable with the A&K DAPs and the Mojo. Glass fiber optic cables are certainly much superior to generic plastic Toslink cables and are, I understand, even superior to the "fiber" cables used by Sysconcept and Moon --"fiber" in this case meaning plastic fiber. (I originally thought fiber might mean glass fiber but no -- it's plastic fiber.)

But there is a glass Toslink to mini cable produced by Lifatek USA, in New York State.

The company is sub of a German company which makes flexible glass Toslink cables mainly for the medical community but also used by audiophiles. The price is $65 for a 20" length but the site says they'll make custom lengths, presumably smaller lengths if you want. I'm going to call them on Monday to find out.

Here's a review with pics by a well-regarded Audioasylum member and a link to the site:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/15/153637.html

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Some Head-Fi members have mentioned this company and their cables in the past, and the cables were positively reviewed by members of Computer Audiophile.

While the cables won't be "form fit" cables like Sysconcept and Moon offer, the cables are flexible and apparently sturdy.

If you're willing to sacrifice some convenience for the best sound, this would (so far) appear to be the cable to do it. I expect I'll order one even though I have a Sysconcept cable being shipped to me. At least I'll be able to do a comparison at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back