Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 21, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #33,106 of 42,765
Basically yes, for me its more about longer battery life and less noisy charging, my Mojo has that annoying noise when charging from all the mains chargers I've tried.

Based on everything I read in this thread when I owned the first Mojo, the noise occurs with some units and not others. My current Mojo is totally silent when charged via the 5V 2A wall wart to micro USB charger that arrived today. But it still gets hot after a few hours of trickle-charging + playback. Fingers crossed it doesn't shut off again!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #33,107 of 42,765
I know my posts impressions are very late to the party having only owned a mojo for a few days..initial pairings with a galaxy s7 phone were ok, but need to do more experimenting with software I feel to get the benefit , I stacked with a fiio x7 through usb and to be honest didn't feel there was much difference to the x7, I stacked with an opus1 through toslink and well on the portable side of things so far it has been my favourite, it just gave the opus1 more body to the sound realy brought out the opus1 more , which i already prefer to the fiio x7.
But by far my favourite use at the moment is as a usb desktop dac this is awesome! Why they don't bring a desktop version out within a similar price point is beyond me, I know they have supposedly better products right but hey it's all about making money.
Smooth detailed and enough power to drive nearly everything I have , just better instructions would be nice and getting cables/and connections a bit easier would be a bonus.
All in all though pretty impressed ,ironically I see me using this more as it's unintended use (desktop) than anything else.

Jul 22, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #33,109 of 42,765
Alright, so I have that charger permanently plugged in to the Mojo. It's going well so far...except I've encountered an odd issue. When I turn the Mojo off, the charge light turns off too. I know the battery has been depleted somewhat because if I unplug and replug the charger cable, it charges for awhile, with the white charger light staying on until it's finished charging. It would appear that if I leave the charger cable connected at all times, it doesn't keep charging it when it's turned off, instead requiring me to disconnect and reconnect it for that to happen. Is this normal? Shouldn't it keep charging when I turn it off and have the charger cable still connected? If so, why does it not appear to do so?

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #33,110 of 42,765
New John Franks interview on headfonia:
http://www.headfonia.com/q-n-a-saturday-chord-electronics/

HFN: Many people wish for a Chord DAP, what are the chances of that happening?
JF:With Poly and Mojo, DAPs are no longer required. A smartphone is all you need.

In my opinion, you're wrong. A dedicated source is way more convenient than Poly. Poly+Mojo is fragile, weird in size and form, and depends of other devices.

I'm not saying Poly is a bad product. If we look at it like an streaming/dlna/wireless module then it's the perfect product, but if we look at it like a DAP sustitute then it's not more than a patch.

I'm sure many will enjoy it and find it useful. But it's not a sustitute of an autonomous portable player.

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #33,111 of 42,765
I know my posts impressions are very late to the party having only owned a mojo for a few days..initial pairings with a galaxy s7 phone were ok, but need to do more experimenting with software I feel to get the benefit , I stacked with a fiio x7 through usb and to be honest didn't feel there was much difference to the x7, I stacked with an opus1 through toslink and well on the portable side of things so far it has been my favourite, it just gave the opus1 more body to the sound realy brought out the opus1 more , which i already prefer to the fiio x7.
But by far my favourite use at the moment is as a usb desktop dac this is awesome! Why they don't bring a desktop version out within a similar price point is beyond me, I know they have supposedly better products right but hey it's all about making money.
Smooth detailed and enough power to drive nearly everything I have , just better instructions would be nice and getting cables/and connections a bit easier would be a bonus.
All in all though pretty impressed ,ironically I see me using this more as it's unintended use (desktop) than anything else.
Glad that you are enjoying your Mojo. There are quite a few other owners who use it almost exclusively as a desktop dac.
If you are struggling regarding cables, there is a lot of cable info in post #3 of this thread. There is also the Mojo cable pack that can be bought, or if you wait a month the Poly should start shipping, and then no cables will be needed.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #33,112 of 42,765
Glad that you are enjoying your Mojo. There are quite a few other owners who use it almost exclusively as a desktop dac.
If you are struggling regarding cables, there is a lot of cable info in post #3 of this thread. There is also the Mojo cable pack that can be bought, or if you wait a month the Poly should start shipping, and then no cables will be needed.

Thanks.
I might buy the cable pack but if I'm honest so far im not so impressed out of my galaxy s7 and have an 8cm connection for that, but i still need to experiment with software etc so dont think im getting its full potential there.
My fiio x7 i am selling anyway as I dont realy keep stuff i am not using , i tend to pick up what I prefer (opus1) so not worried about connection there.
The only connection I do realy want is a short toslink in case I would want to stack the mojo with the opus 1.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #33,113 of 42,765

In my opinion, you're wrong. A dedicated source is way more convenient than Poly. Poly+Mojo is fragile, weird in size and form, and depends of other devices.

I'm not saying Poly is a bad product. If we look at it like an streaming/dlna/wireless module then it's the perfect product, but if we look at it like a DAP sustitute then it's not more than a patch.

I'm sure many will enjoy it and find it useful. But it's not a sustitute of an autonomous portable player.

I sort of agree, im new to the mojo but streaming capability leaves me a little flat anyway, I will always go wired until I can hear no difference between the two.
Now if they made an add on that had some sort of screen, i.e way to view play files etc then count me in.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #33,114 of 42,765
Alright, so I have that charger permanently plugged in to the Mojo. It's going well so far...except I've encountered an odd issue. When I turn the Mojo off, the charge light turns off too. I know the battery has been depleted somewhat because if I unplug and replug the charger cable, it charges for awhile, with the white charger light staying on until it's finished charging. It would appear that if I leave the charger cable connected at all times, it doesn't keep charging it when it's turned off, instead requiring me to disconnect and reconnect it for that to happen. Is this normal? Shouldn't it keep charging when I turn it off and have the charger cable still connected? If so, why does it not appear to do so?

Don't worry, it's fine. When it is connected, it charges to 8.2v, then will stop charging. When the battery drops to 8.0v, it will automatically restart charging. When you disconnect the charger, the charger circuit is reset, and it will initially start charging to the full 8.2v immediately. If you want to ensure 100% charge, then turn off the unit, then disconnect charger, reconnect, and it will top up to full charge.

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #33,115 of 42,765
Don't worry, it's fine. When it is connected, it charges to 8.2v, then will stop charging. When the battery drops to 8.0v, it will automatically restart charging. When you disconnect the charger, the charger circuit is reset, and it will initially start charging to the full 8.2v immediately. If you want to ensure 100% charge, then turn off the unit, then disconnect charger, reconnect, and it will top up to full charge.

I see. I should be able to leave the charger connected at all times, then...as long as it doesn't overheat and shut off. It still gets worryingly hot with charging + playback. After using it for awhile, I just turned it off and now the charge light is indeed on, unlike before.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #33,116 of 42,765
Hi quick question. When I'm using the Mojo to line out to an external amplifier, does it matter what volume I set it at? (i.e. 3v, 1.9v, 1.5v etc). Will I lose any of the audio information setting a lower volume on the Mojo to give the external amplifier more play ?

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #33,118 of 42,765
Jul 22, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #33,119 of 42,765
Hi quick question. When I'm using the Mojo to line out to an external amplifier, does it matter what volume I set it at? (i.e. 3v, 1.9v, 1.5v etc). Will I lose any of the audio information setting a lower volume on the Mojo to give the external amplifier more play ?
I suggest look at the volume from a slightly different angle, ie if the volume exceeds the max input voltage for your amplifier, then you risk causing the signal to clip/distort, which definitely can be thought of as lost audio information.
So ensuring that your mojo output does not exceed your amplifier max input voltage, will ensure that you have the best chance of listening to good audio.
What volume to set the Mojo at?
When the first CD players were produced (mid 80s), the industry standard input voltage for amplifiers was set at 2V, and I believe that standard still applies. However some hifi manufacturers ignore the standard, and design amplifiers that will accept higher voltages.
  • All amplifiers should be safe at 2V (so you can use the Mojo 3V lineout - 4 volume clicks, to achieve 1.9V, which is close enough)
  • my arcam solo neo is designed for 2.5V, so I use the Mojo 3V lineout - 2 volume clicks
  • some amplifiers are happy with 4V
You should check what is the max input voltage for your amplifier (user manual/website etc), and set you Mojo to be as close to that voltage as possible.

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #33,120 of 42,765

I think so, I don't like wireless audio things which may affect the original sound, where violate why chord products are better compared to other manufacture.
Although poly support micro sd card, I don't think it is good enough because of the size of mojo+poly, also it only have 1 card slot.
I think many of us wants to see a DAP made by chord, this kind of product should be the right way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back