Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 18, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #26,026 of 42,765
I would recommend you try the nighthawk. Amazon has it on sale for $348. Totally worth it and sounded good out of the box. The bass is a bit punchier then the HD 800 from my memory but doesn't quite reach planar levels (at least my not fully broken in unit).

Since lcd 2.2 has better bass as u said. Maybe i consider lcd then

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #26,027 of 42,765
Since lcd 2.2 has better bass as u said. Maybe i consider lcd then

There are other things to consider too. The nighthawks are significantly more comfortable for long term use since they are so light and adjust to your head without any tinkering. All the LCD headphones are quite heavy on my head and after 15 to 20 minutes I wanna take them off. They don't disappear like the HD 800 and nighthawk too. Also they are more expensive and do not out resolve the nighthawks. I enjoy punchy bass like most people do and I feel the nighthawk does a fantastic job handling the bass without overdoing anything .

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #26,028 of 42,765
I be honest. I am surprised so many recommend the Nighthawk, since it reviews not so well on What Hi-Fi. http://www.whathifi.com/audioquest/nighthawk/review

WHF give it three stars, most other only four stars. I wouldn't touch those headphones with money.

Hi-Fi Choice aren't over enamoured. [COLOR=0066CC]http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/audioquest-nighthawk-headphones/?page=3[/COLOR]

I am stuck for choice as to what full size headphones I would buy if I was in the market. Nothing jumps out at me. I think if I were pushed I would maybe get Grado PS1000 (not e version).

That's a fair point. However, I should point out that Head-fi also has many positive reviews that recommend the nighthawks and some of them go into greater detail than even some professional reviews! Not to mention Rob Watts prefers the NH's to most other headphones even though he has access to a plethora of headphones and iems. This definitely holds some weight in my books.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #26,029 of 42,765
It's about synergy and maybe the Nighthawk has it with Mojo

My Focal Spirit Classic can sound over warm and slightly dull and lifeless with some sources. Anything but with the Mojo

EDIT not implying the Focals are as good as the NH but they are sometimes described as veiled. The Mojo brings them to life IMO

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #26,030 of 42,765
It's about synergy and maybe the Nighthawk has it with Mojo

My Focal Spirit Classic can sound over warm and slightly dull and lifeless with some sources. Anything but with the Mojo

I'm sure that the Nighthawks sound amazing with the Mojo (hence my lust for the Mojo). But the NH's sound rather incredible with most sources (well, there is some debate about their synergy with tube amps, but the consensus appears to be that they rock with solid state amps).

Keep also in mind that regardless of how you feel about burn in, the Nighthawks benefit greatly from it :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #26,031 of 42,765

I be honest. I am surprised so many recommend the Nighthawk, since it reviews not so well on What Hi-Fi. http://www.whathifi.com/audioquest/nighthawk/review

WHF give it three stars, most other only four stars. I wouldn't touch those headphones with money.

Hi-Fi Choice aren't over enamoured. http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/audioquest-nighthawk-headphones/?page=3

I am stuck for choice as to what full size headphones I would buy if I was in the market. Nothing jumps out at me. I think if I were pushed I would maybe get Grado PS1000 (not e version).

That's a fair point. However, I should point out that Head-fi also has many positive reviews that recommend the nighthawks and some of them go into greater detail than even some professional reviews! Not to mention Rob Watts prefers the NH's to most other headphones even though he has access to a plethora of headphones and iems. This definitely holds some weight in my books.

I was trying to add that the Grado PS1000 are heavy, big, and stupidly expensive. However I couldn't edit because the editing page was going weird.

Either way I still don't know what I would choose in headphones if I had to. What's really annoying is that anything even close to sounding excellent, costs a fortune. Whereas if a manufacturer brought out a reference style headphone for 500-600 smackers then everyone would buy it. Then buy the next reference model upwards in the range.......Chord Mojo as an example of case in point.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #26,032 of 42,765
So you left on the charger for 10 hours, powered off and unused, and it's been steady white as far as you know? What color was the LED after you removed it from the charger and turned the Mojo on? And how much current does your charger source?

I started with it off, then tried with it on when I saw it wasnt drawing any current about 5 hours in.

The white light comes on when I plug the power cord in if the mojo is on and hooked up to a source. It doesnt come on if the mojo is powered off. If turn it on, plug it in, then turn it off, the light stays on and it draws current for a few minutes before stopping. Best I can tell the little white light is an accurate source of info about power coming in to it; ive been using a usb cord that graphicaly displays the level of current passing through, and it confirms the light's efficacy. So the issue is that it wont draw current when it's powered off. I suppose the red power button could be wrong and the charge is fine, but unplugging it and seeing if it lasts for houts or mins before dying seems like a desprate measure.

Right now its plugged,in and drawing a good amount of current, but through the headphone volume seems a lot lower than yesterday. Could this be relevant? I plugged in some very easy to drive IEMs (Ostry KC06A) and need to go to a volume of "green" for a still pretty low volume (it wasnt just a track with a low level, its universal). I swear that yesterday, red was too loud for these. Sound quality is perfectly normal, its just kind of hard to enjoy with me worried that I purschased a dud.

I got it via the forums here at head-fi; I PMed the seller to ask for the info I need to get it registered with Chord in preparation for asking their tech support and making,a warranty claim all you guys' suggestions cant get this ****show on the road, but he hasnt responded yet. To be fair though I wrote him late last night, so its far too early to worry about him disappearing on me, but this mojo has got me imagining the worst case scenarios

Oh and my charger and cable both are rated for (and measured at) 2.1 amps. Any other ideas?

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #26,034 of 42,765
Try a 1amp charger?

Heh, went to do that and noticed it already wss plugged into a 1.0 A charger, more power-thirsty devices must have needed the 2.1 A slots when I was half asleep lol, Right now its turned on but with nothing but the power cord plugged in and is drawing way more current than that state could use, so i dont want to touch it.

The seller contacted me and was appropriately helpful, so thats one less worry. He said it was first purchased a month ago from amazon UK. I'm in the US but I can't imagine that being relevant, because USB power is 5V everywhere. For a second there I thought I might have an actionable solution. Oh well :)

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #26,035 of 42,765
  HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL! Just got my MOJO, plugged it in to my MacBook Pro, plugged into my Nighthawks and my life has changed forever.  It KILLS my Bifrost/Asgard 2.  There's details I had no idea were there.  My music just came to life. How is this possible?  Be back in a while...

Welcome to the club.

Many of us have found that the Mojo reveals so much new detail in even red book standard CD files, that we start journeys to rediscover our music libraries.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #26,036 of 42,765
Previous poster already told you what to do. Just make sure you attenuate 2dB globally before gaining the freq 2dB with the EQ. That's the only other thing you need to know.

Idk what you mean about global.... I'm such an idiot.... I need step by step idiot help

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #26,037 of 42,765

Previous poster already told you what to do. Just make sure you attenuate 2dB globally before gaining the freq 2dB with the EQ. That's the only other thing you need to know.

Idk what you mean about global.... I'm such an idiot.... I need step by step idiot help

'Globally' means lower the level of EVERY frequency band of the EQ.

Lower EVERY slider by 2db, then increase only the band you want to hear more of

Personally, I would not EQ - I prefer bit-perfect output, but if you want to EQ, then the reason why it was suggested that you lower every slider and then increase only the one you want to hear more of is because it means that you are less likely to experience distortion because of trying to 'amplify' a frequency band higher than it normally is.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #26,038 of 42,765

Personally, I would not EQ - I prefer bit-perfect output, but if you want to EQ, then the reason whyit was suggested that you lower every slider and then increase only the one you want to hear more of is because it means that you are less likely to experience distortion because of trying to 'amplify' a frequency band higher than it normally is.

OK ok. So lower everything but leave the band I need stimulated alone. And then add 2db to thr one Oh oh oh ok won't that recess?

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #26,039 of 42,765
Heh, went to do that and noticed it already wss plugged into a 1.0 A charger, more power-thirsty devices must have needed the 2.1 A slots when I was half asleep lol, Right now its turned on but with nothing but the power cord plugged in and is drawing way more current than that state could use, so i dont want to touch it.

The seller contacted me and was appropriately helpful, so thats one less worry. He said it was first purchased a month ago from amazon UK. I'm in the US but I can't imagine that being relevant, because USB power is 5V everywhere. For a second there I thought I might have an actionable solution. Oh well
smily_headphones1.gif

Some chargers are "smart" and don't deliver the full current if they think the device doesn't want it and they sometimes get it wrong. You might do better with a "dumb" charger.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #26,040 of 42,765

Personally, I would not EQ - I prefer bit-perfect output, but if you want to EQ, then the reason whyit was suggested that you lower every slider and then increase only the one you want to hear more of is because it means that you are less likely to experience distortion because of trying to 'amplify' a frequency band higher than it normally is.

OK ok. So lower everything but leave the band I need stimulated alone. And then add 2db to thr one Oh oh oh ok won't that recess?

...actually, I should have  described that more clearly.

Yes, if you lower everything, then you increase just one band by 2db, but if you lowered everything EXCEPT the frequency band you want to hear boosted, then obviously that would already be 2db higher than the others, so it would not need any more boosting.

looking for a little more slam on the bass... Not so much deep bass, just more slam and impact in general.

I got a mojo, I use a android phone with UAPP as transport

Please help

What should be the frequencies I need to change

Just add a 2 dB boost at 55-60 Hz with a Q of 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back