Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 26, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #21,736 of 42,765
  Agreed, Magnets near signal lines is usually not a good idea unless carefully controlled to attain a particular result

The magnets are that strong. The "magnet issues" he was referring to were the connection to the plug rather than interference I'm sure. 

These aren't rare earth magnets or if they are they are extremely small and weak. 

I haven't noticed any issue other than the already known issue of them not being a solid connection and can easily be separated. 

The thought of plugging and unplugging anything for years and years urks me a little. Plugs wear out no matter how much care you take with them. This is going to basically make the issue void. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #21,737 of 42,765

The magnets are that strong. The "magnet issues" he was referring to were the connection to the plug rather than interference I'm sure. 

These aren't rare earth magnets or if they are they are extremely small and weak. 

I haven't noticed any issue other than the already known issue of them not being a solid connection and can easily be separated. 

The thought of plugging and unplugging anything for years and years urks me a little. Plugs wear out no matter how much care you take with them. This is going to basically make the issue void. 

thanks for the clarification.  The cables do seem a bit iffy overall since 28% gave them a 1 star rating on Azon.  that is usually a red flag.

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #21,739 of 42,765

thanks for the clarification.  The cables do seem a bit iffy overall since 28% gave them a 1 star rating on Azon.  that is usually a red flag.

Yup! Well like I say the second link has 4.5 stars with 16 reviews and they are completely identical in every single way. Same LED, same plug, same cable.. everything is identical. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #21,741 of 42,765
For those using Tidal or Apple iTunes on PC, highly recommend using Ramdisk to put the softwares and running music straight from ram. Sound much better. Free upgrade
biggrin.gif

I agree it's likely much faster but the music streaming is already in ram.. Whether the software itself is stored on a usb stick or hard drive or ramdisk it doesn't really matter. 1's and 0's are still 1's and 0's regardless of how they are delivered. You either have 100% signal or 0% signal when it comes to digital streaming like that. 

No offense meant by the way. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #21,742 of 42,765
Out of curiosity, can you point out what the misinformation is? I wasn't sure if you're talking about the Mojo video specifically, or his videos in general.

Once I watched the video, I immediately knew what the reaction on this board would be...LOL, if this forum was a bee hive he may as well have rammed a stick in it and jabbed it around.

My biggest gripe is where he says the line-out mode somehow bypasses the 'amp'. That statement right there has a lot of miss understanding, but that could be somewhat overlooked given most reviewers don't get the uniqueness of Rob's implementation. It's the way he presents his 'facts' about it that makes the statement even more inaccurate. As soon as a reviewer says that Chord gear is an amp first and DAC second I raise an eyebrow though.

The balls aren't glass as he continuously says. The cable provided for his review is an aftermarket cable, not stock. Any reviewer should be able to see that. He throws guesses out about the power output @32 Ohm. Not cool to just guess if you are trying to provide information to people. Oh, and he can't count. There are 95 steps in the Mojo's volume, not 100.

I get it, he's marketing to the general public that has no understanding about this gear. But it's that exact reason why he should take some responsibility to be somewhat accurate in his reviews. Apologies for contributing to the Mojo / Z derail.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #21,743 of 42,765

For those using Tidal or Apple iTunes on PC, highly recommend using Ramdisk to put the softwares and running music straight from ram. Sound much better. Free upgrade
biggrin.gif

I agree it's likely much faster but the music streaming is already in ram.. Whether the software itself is stored on a usb stick or hard drive or ramdisk it doesn't really matter. 1's and 0's are still 1's and 0's regardless of how they are delivered. You either have 100% signal or 0% signal when it comes to digital streaming like that. 

Mmmmm... maybe; maybe not...

Some storage mediums (or their buses) may be electrically noisier in operation than others, or require more mediation by the CPU (which can sometimes also increase circuit noise). I mentioned some aspects of this, in a post a few weeks back:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/16500#post_12525696

If only life was simple!
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #21,744 of 42,765

That's what I thought too technically speaking.However, much more factors go into it. If 0 ' s and 1 ' s are all we need, there wouldn't be any sound differential between a Mojo, hugo, or a dave.

Softwares run from hard rive + ram. For Ramdisk, you need to dedicate a certain amount of ram memory to it since it will be running straight off rams. The system will (OS) then be that much short of memory for other softwares but the softwares that are dedicated to the ramdisk, it will run at x1000 faster than the current fastest ssd. Nvme?

Try the softwares in a ramdisk, I've just experienced it and it sounds much better imo. You can just uninstall it if no differnece. Many 30 day free trial ramdisk out there to download. I am personally using Romex PrimaRamdisk, but just Google you will find many. Happy listening! :)

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #21,745 of 42,765
biggrin.gif

Interested in what ram disk routine or app you are using?  I tried some ram disk options in Mac which were interesting.

And since we are in a Chord thread, you may wish to hear what the designers think about those magical ones and zeros marching ino the dac via usb.  Just because the ones and zeros are 100% always right does not mean the voltages used to represent them, along with all kinds of other voltages riding along with it, cannot affect the sound quality of the dac.

I think there is a youtube video where this point is discussed. If I can find it I'll shoot you the link.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #21,747 of 42,765
Interested in what ram disk routine or app you are using?  I tried some ram disk options in Mac which were interesting.

And since we are in a Chord thread, you may wish to hear what the designers think about those magical ones and zeros marching ino the dac via usb.  Just because the ones and zeros are 100% always right does not mean the voltages used to represent them, along with all kinds of other voltages riding along with it, cannot affect the sound quality of the dac.

I think there is a youtube video where this point is discussed. If I can find it I'll shoot you the link.

I've just edited the original due to my English. I am using the Romex PrimaRamdisk. User friendly. It is 30 day free trial. Happy listening! :)

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #21,748 of 42,765

That's what I thought too technically speaking.However, much more factors go into it. If 0 ' s and 1 ' s are all we need, there wouldn't be any sound differential between a Mojo, hugo, or a dave.

0's and 1's are only labels, a representation of different voltage states. They aren't real but a simple way for us to define a state of sampled data (the definition of digital is simply sampled data). The differences between the gear lies in how accurately the DAC represents the samples and how it fills in the gaps between voltage states from digital (sampled data) to analogue (continuous data). That is where the DAC will shine, or not. Because we live in an analogue world the idea of 0 and 1 is just an abstract to represent something real. The different voltage states can also be easily affected by interference and noise. How the gear handles it or rejects it has a large influence in sound. Of course there are timing considerations as well. It's very complex, and rather abstract when you think about it.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #21,749 of 42,765

The different dac and amps sound different because there are actual physical differences. The dac that turns those 0s and 1s into music are different so they have different sound characters and furthermore the amp as well.

Imagine you have a document stored on a USB stick and you print it. Different printers will have different resolutions and printing processes. If you take the same document and move it to your hard drive then the file itself isn't going to change when it gets to the printer.

The data for a song is still the same regardless of where it's stored.

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #21,750 of 42,765
0's and 1's are only labels, a representation of different voltage states. They aren't real but a simple way for us to define a state of sampled data (the definition of digital is simply sampled data). The differences between the gear lies in how accurately the DAC represents the samples and how it fills in the gaps between voltage states from digital (sampled data) to analogue (continuous data). That is where the DAC will shine, or not. Because we live in an analogue world the idea of 0 and 1 is just an abstract to represent something real. The different voltage states can also be easily affected by interference and noise. How the gear handles it or rejects it has a large influence in sound. Of course there are timing considerations as well. It's very complex, and rather abstract when you think about it.

I can follow that line of thought but whether the song is being fed from a hard drive or ram disk its still being loaded into ram and streamed to the USB hub and sent out through usb (or optical) to the mojo. Now maybe using different usb hubs might make a difference but I'm sure the mojo has capacitors to prevent overvoltages and of it didn't have enough voltage the signal would drop out. If that's the case then I'd be seeing usb cables with external power supplies or batteries to boost the signal but as I say there is only so much signal a USB device can receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back