Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 28, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #19,262 of 42,765
Thanks for the detailed explanation Relic. I'm going to try not to think about the super-powerful RF that my cellphone is shooting through my body as I type this message.

I hear ya!! I was sitting on the sofa and my iPhone 5S was on an end table about a foot above my powered subwoofer. Randomly the subwoofer started going nuts picking up network RF/EMI. Needless to say I keep my phone out of my pocket usually. :wink:

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #19,263 of 42,765

I hear ya!! I was sitting on the sofa and my iPhone 5S was on an end table about a foot above my powered subwoofer. Randomly the subwoofer started going nuts picking up network RF/EMI. Needless to say I keep my phone out of my pocket usually.
wink.gif

Yeah, I prefer my nuts uncooked, too...
wink_face.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #19,264 of 42,765
woo hooo....my chord arrived today...got a message from shipping to come and pick it up.

My rational for using my company's shipping dept to receive items: i keep the boys 'employed' :wink:

now i'm officially a member of the Chord club...well I guess not technically until it's in my possession, but you know...

yuga was a great seller to deal with, from spain....more later.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #19,266 of 42,765
@canali nice, enjoy bro. I love my th900 mojo combo, best they've ever sounded to me.

thanks bud...i'd sooo love to try those fostex th900... but $$$...
to scrape together the cash for those 900s heck my girlfriend would have to work
the corner on weeknights too, in addition to weekends ...i'd never see her, lol.

anyway...the upcoming fostex 610 will be interesting to listen to.
will the $200 increased cost be worth it?

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #19,267 of 42,765
  Does the Mojo benefit from an external amplifier for high impedance headphones such as my HD650s? I did try the Mojo connected to a Burson Soloist SL Mk2 (Mojo in line out mode) with an HD800S but I'm having problems with my hearing and have just started steroid medication to help. I'm having nagging doubts that the Mojo is the last word in headphone amplification.

The Mojo works well as an external DAC for my PC and Stax Omega II, albeit that the soundstage is slightly narrower than the Chord Hugo. However, the treble is slightly tamed restraining the Omega IIs from straying into sharpness.

Sorry to hear about your hearing problem.  I sincerely hope the steroids work.  I would, however, be reticent to trust conclusions drawn while being treated for a hearing problem.  There's no doubt you are hearing differences but are they real, a result of your illness, or expectation bias?  One can never know for sure. So get better soon and then repeat the evaluations.

FWIW, I and many others don't use an amp with Mojo. Mojo is pretty powerful and drives most cans.  Others have reported, however, the need to amp to get perceived improvements with hard to drive cans.  I can't recall the HD650 being among them.  Maybe another HD650 user can chime in here.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #19,268 of 42,765
hopefully i can help out here as i had a similar concern recently.

in my emails with a helpful Chord rep (Ed) in marketing.
he kindly replied and said they often used the senn hd650 when listening to the mojo.

--------------------------------

Thanks, Ed.

I’ve got the senn hd 650 (newly used…)

the mojo should have no problem pushing the 650s I presume?

Hi Joe,

Absolutely not, Mojo will be able to drive headphones up to 800 ohms. In fact that 650's are one of our test pairs.

Best,

Edd Harris - Marketing Manager

Direct:    (+44) 07990 666 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry to hear about your hearing problem.  I sincerely hope the steroids work.  I would, however, be reticent to trust conclusions drawn while being treated for a hearing problem.  There's no doubt you are hearing differences but are they real, a result of your illness, or expectation bias?  One can never know for sure. So get better soon and then repeat the evaluations.

FWIW, I and many others don't use an amp with Mojo. Mojo is pretty powerful and drives most cans.  Others have reported, however, the need to amp to get perceived improvements with hard to drive cans.  I can't recall the HD650 being among them.  Maybe another HD650 user can chime in here.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #19,269 of 42,765
​did you ever consider that you may have a faulty unit? my nexus 5 causes no interference whatsoever with the SQ of mojo. No ferrite chokes, no super expensive cables and no need for airplane mode. Perhaps the antenna location is different than in your case, but with my rig nothing but awesome sound reproduction.

I am in no way doubting what you are describing on the forum, it just seems like you may have a bad unit

My Nexus 5 didn't ever exhibit RF issues until once recently. For some reason started happening randomly, and switching to wifi mildly helped, and going completely to airplane mode helped more. Moving the Mojo further away than about 3 inches eliminated the noise. And then the problem went away entirely. I am typing this from my Nexus 5 streaming over LTE to the Mojo (which is strapped directly to the Nexus 5) with zero RF issues. The problem may only exist at my house, but will need to check.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #19,271 of 42,765
Jun 28, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #19,272 of 42,765
​did you ever consider that you may have a faulty unit? my nexus 5 causes no interference whatsoever with the SQ of mojo. No ferrite chokes, no super expensive cables and no need for airplane mode. Perhaps the antenna location is different than in your case, but with my rig nothing but awesome sound reproduction.

I am in no way doubting what you are describing on the forum, it just seems like you may have a bad unit

I don't have a faulty unit, mine works great when I have a good signal but alas in my office I don't.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #19,273 of 42,765
woo hooo....my chord arrived today...got a message from shipping to come and pick it up.

(my my rational for using my company's shipping dept to receive items: i keep the boys 'employed' :wink: )

now i'm officially a member of the Chord club...well I guess not technically until it's in my possession, but you know...

yuga was a great seller to deal with, from spain....more later.

now it's time to perhaps pickup some fostex massdrop thx00 cans to compliment my senn 650s.

Awesome! I will hopefully be getting one soon as well.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #19,274 of 42,765
Hmm those EW9 look NICE...
Do you or somebody else know how they compare to the w1000x?
Can't convince myself to buy IEMs, so maybe these could be great for my portable setup. I really enjoy the w1000x but they aren't very usable on the go.

Cheers

To be honest, EW9 is a baby W1000x sounds very similar to its bigger brother.
Very sweet mids especially super duper good for female vocals!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back