Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 2, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #17,071 of 42,788

I use the Mojo mostly through Macbook Pro and Tidal.  I've considered something separate for Mojo, but haven't decided yet.  
I have heard the T1 first gen. and they are wonderful and the price has come down considerably.  My only concern was I wanted detachable cable with grandkids jumping on me, but we may get one for my wife.  She has confiscated the AK T8 ie on me and her smile was all too much to resist, so she has them.  We found a dealer willing to discount the AK T8 ie because they did not sell and have very few reviews, and I find these the closest to that marvelous T1 sound (I heard T5, too and love it).  I feel very strongly about German made quality (I feel this way about English made mens shoes and now English made DACs, too).  

As to the connection to iPhone or other device:  
This might work:    
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CBT76TG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1462138828&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=bicycle+silicone+band&dpPl=1&dpID=519Dqlvy3rL&ref=plSrch

I do wonder if other than Airplane mode, if a simple thin rubber matting between them might work?

Sorry, my mistake I thought I had read you had the T1.2's. Anyhow, agree with you about the german build. Really high quality. The T1,2's have the detachable cables of course, but also were some 80% more in price than what I paid for the T1's. I paid around 500 eur for mine which is pretty good I think. I paid a lot more than that for the little AKG's. The T1's took a while to settle into with Mojo I must admit. I just felt a bit disconnected, more so than the AKG's but now either my brain's burned-in or the 'phones have, as they are just completely immersive and addictive! A constant joy, with whatever I put on.

I don't know the AK T8's , will google them :)

May 2, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #17,072 of 42,788
  Sorry, my mistake I thought I had read you had the T1.2's. Anyhow, agree with you about the german build. Really high quality. The T1,2's have the detachable cables of course, but also were some 80% more in price than what I paid for the T1's. I paid around 500 eur for mine which is pretty good I think. I paid a lot more than that for the little AKG's. The T1's took a while to settle into with Mojo I must admit. I just felt a bit disconnected, more so than the AKG's but now either my brain's burned-in or the 'phones have, as they are just completely immersive and addictive! A constant joy, with whatever I put on.

I don't know the AK T8's , will google them :)

No, you were correct about T1.2 is my current.  I have tried the T1 and they are great and now the price is even better! 

The AK T8 ie is what people have said comes closest to the T1 sound, which is something special to me.  The AK T8 ie has marvelous definition and clarity and shines with classical music. 

Interesting Mojo day...

I have heard "Positively 4th St." for literally 40 years.  It is something that I have heard too often to really listen to much anymore but with Mojo and the solid headphones, I had never heard the piano in it before.  So I thought, "this must just be me" so I asked my wife to listen, sans Mojo and with average in ears and asked, "Did you hear piano?"  She said, "Piano?  No, guitar and nice organ."  

I plugged in Mojo with Beyerdynamics...the piano is beautiful.  

Now once heard, it is easier to identify going back, sans Mojo, but it is something that must be listened to carefully.  

Going from T1 to in ears has been a problem as the Beyerdynamics have "spoiled" things for me similar to not wanting to listen without Mojo.  The AK T8 ie has bridged the gap nicely!   

May 2, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #17,073 of 42,788

No, you were correct about T1.2 is my current.  I have tried the T1 and they are great and now the price is even better! 

The AK T8 ie is what people have said comes closest to the T1 sound, which is something special to me.  The AK T8 ie has marvelous definition and clarity and shines with classical music. 

Interesting Mojo day...

I have heard "Positively 4th St." for literally 40 years.  It is something that I have heard too often to really listen to much anymore but with Mojo and the solid headphones, I had never heard the piano in it before.  So I thought, "this must just be me" so I asked my wife to listen, sans Mojo and with average in ears and asked, "Did you hear piano?"  She said, "Piano?  No, guitar and nice organ."  

I plugged in Mojo with Beyerdynamics...the piano is beautiful.  

Now once heard, it is easier to identify going back, sans Mojo, but it is something that must be listened to carefully.  

Going from T1 to in ears has been a problem as the Beyerdynamics have "spoiled" things for me similar to not wanting to listen without Mojo.  The AK T8 ie has bridged the gap nicely!   

ah! thought i was going mad there :)

I expect though that the T1.2's are a step up from the 1's!

I know exactly what you mean with hearing new stuff. I get that continuously. It's the layers which are better resolved with Mojo+a highly resolving back end. The spatial sense allows dense mixes room to breathe, so to speak. And yes, of course, once you've heard it you can hear it on lesser systems. It's where you heard it first that counts, folks!! :)

Being of a certain age of course we have our fave albums from 30 or more years ago, and It's just fabulous to hear them with a new perspective! 

Your comment on classical also strikes a chord (sorry) with me. I'm listening to far more classical than I did before. Well recorded pieces are just otherworldy. String tones are so real and pure. Try out Beethoven's Violin Concerto , Marriner/Sitkovetsky - Just... Wow!!

May 2, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #17,074 of 42,788
I don't think the T1.2 is a step up from T1.  That's the kind of thing I would like to tell myself for the extra money I spent (I got the 2nd gen discounted though!)  

If we get one for my wife, it will be first gen as the need for detachable cable is not as it is for me and the savings is significant.  I don't think I could identify, by sound, which is which.  

I've talked about our music night before but it is really special.  The T1.2 is 600 ohm and so we need to listen to the same volume of the Mojo and using the AK T8 ie works nicely, also because we are laying on the couch. 

The two inputs for Mojo is marvelous.  

TV off, we take turns introducing music with biography and background of the recording and then using Mojo, we listen to it uninterrupted as an entire album.  It is especially fascinating with entirely new music for us.  Every genre is open for this.  

It's a lot of fun and once the expense of equipment is done and behind us, its all about the music.  

May 2, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #17,075 of 42,788
For general interest in things Chord-related:  http://headpie.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/chord-electronics-interview-with-john.html

May 2, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #17,076 of 42,788
Hmmm seems like the more complex modules still take a little time...
"Later next year" can be interpreted but anyway it seems way to loooong :frowning2:

May 2, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #17,077 of 42,788
Hmmm seems like the more complex modules still take a little time...
"Later next year" can be interpreted but anyway it seems way to loooong
frown.gif

It's a Dec 2015 interview.

In any case, we'll just have to see how smoothly the development goes

May 2, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #17,080 of 42,788
 The date is in the link! :D

LOL well I guess I just smelled news about chord and didn't see anything else... Damn apply yourself nick...
:D

May 2, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #17,081 of 42,788
Out of curiosity:
What would happen if Chord upgraded their products with better chips? As we know, Mojo uses a 28nm Xilinx chip. According to their product page, they offer 20nm & 16nm chips (probably 14nm next year, we'll see). I don't know anything about the price, but imagine the possibilities: more tap length, more performance, longer battery life, etc. or probably dual-FPGA chips on one board.

Or maybe we'll see Chord product with ASIC instead of FPGA.
Just a wild daydreaming session, but the future is promising. :popcorn:

May 2, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #17,085 of 42,788
  I don't think the T1.2 is a step up from T1.  That's the kind of thing I would like to tell myself for the extra money I spent (I got the 2nd gen discounted though!)  

If we get one for my wife, it will be first gen as the need for detachable cable is not as it is for me and the savings is significant.  I don't think I could identify, by sound, which is which.  

I've talked about our music night before but it is really special.  The T1.2 is 600 ohm and so we need to listen to the same volume of the Mojo and using the AK T8 ie works nicely, also because we are laying on the couch. 

The two inputs for Mojo is marvelous.  

TV off, we take turns introducing music with biography and background of the recording and then using Mojo, we listen to it uninterrupted as an entire album.  It is especially fascinating with entirely new music for us.  Every genre is open for this.  

It's a lot of fun and once the expense of equipment is done and behind us, its all about the music.  

sounds cool :) - agree 100%; it is and should be all about the music.  The best hifi for me is that which is just a clear window onto it, nothing more. Mojo+T1 is that more than anything I've experience before. Sounds like a pair of T1's would be just the ticket for you and your good lady wife to get max enjoyment on a reasonable budget. The world's your oyster from there on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back