Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 22, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #1,561 of 42,765
It is the typical jittering sound you get through audio equipment when a phone is near it like DU DDUDDD DU DDUDDD DUDUDDUUD DUDUDDUUD DUDUDDUUD

magnetic rf interference for non shielded devices , e.g. mobile phone and wifi interference

I pressume?

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,562 of 42,765
I don't like using my phone for the exact reason of EMI interference and call interruptions and storage space but I understand why others do. Have you guys considered trying something like 3M EMI shielding tape? For the record I have no idea how effective it would be.
Thank you Relic for your suggestion however the solid aluminium case serves the mojo quite well in that regard. The problem lies in the cables that we attatch both input and output and the variations thereof. These act as Arials feeding directly into Mojo. A phones level RFI in close proximity to mojo is very severe and therefor this issue is not easily solved without compromising Mojos performance this is because when a phone looses signal it ramps up the transmitt levels dramatically and these can be on any number of frequencies. Some cables are adequately screened and with those there is unlikely to be a problem, but with unscreened types there may be. That is why we recomend that for critical listening and in environments where a signal is likely to be lost that you switch to airplane mode.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Electronics_NA/Electronics/Products/Electronics_Product_Catalog/~/3M-Embossed-Aluminum-Foil-Shielding-Tape-1267?N=8704974+3294002001&rt=rud

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,563 of 42,765
Ok, so what kind of plug should be on the Mojo side.

3.5mm mono plugs on both ends, 75 Ohm coax cable between. Moon sells one. Cheers

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,564 of 42,765
It is the typical jittering sound you get through audio equipment when a phone is near it like DU DDUDDD DU DDUDDD DUDUDDUUD DUDUDDUUD DUDUDDUUD

I get none, sounds perfect just as it does out of JRiver on the laptop.  Never had any with the HA-2 or Dragonfly v1.2 either.

The SE846's are very revealing so I'm sure I'd notice if there was any. What phone/IEMS's you using ? (don't get any with Samsung S6 either).

If I plug my SE846's directly into a PC/laptop headphone out I can usually hear what your describing, sounds like echo pulses in a pattern sometimes. Surprisingly I get none on the XPS13 headphone out either but did with an MSI gaming laptop and on work desktop PC.

Just been listening to various stuff at work for last 4hrs with everything from Jazz/Vocal/Classical/Pop/Rock and all sounds awesome with no fatigue at all (though the SE846 with Westone silicon grey Star tips are awesome comfy fit for me with excellent seal). 

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,565 of 42,765
Interference seems troublesome, I wonder if some phones would be better than others? What about the aluminum block-it pocket things?

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,567 of 42,765
I get none, sounds perfect just as it does out of JRiver on the laptop.  Never had any with the HA-2 or Dragonfly v1.2 either.

The SE846's are very revealing so I'm sure I'd notice if there was any. What phone/IEMS's you using ? (don't get any with Samsung S6 either).

If I plug my SE846's directly into a PC/laptop headphone out I can usually hear what your describing, sounds like echo pulses in a pattern sometimes. Surprisingly I get none on the XPS13 headphone out either but did with an MSI gaming laptop and on work desktop PC.

Just been listening to various stuff at work for last 4hrs with everything from Jazz/Vocal/Classical/Pop/Rock and all sounds awesome with no fatigue at all (though the SE846 with Westone silicon grey Star tips are awesome comfy fit for me with excellent seal). 

I am using a Oneplus One with some Westone W60, using the star tips as well (red) they are the most comfortable tips I have used by far! I guess maybe the specific point the mojo is pressed against my phone could make a difference. I will test when I get home.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,568 of 42,765
Any chance the interference is impacted by the type of cable being used? 

I'll test it when I get mine, but I could see an improperly shield cable causing issues.

Guess the best way to test this is to see if there's interference even when using Toslink. 

Cheers 

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,570 of 42,765
Oct 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #1,572 of 42,765
Quick first audition of the Mojo today.
I don't want to post any impressions on the sonic performance but can confirm that although much smaller than the Hugo, this is not going into my pocket together with my iPhone.

Too bad because, as an enthusiastic Hugo owner, I'm pretty confident this will deliver similar "Chord pleasure".

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,574 of 42,765
magnetic rf interference for non shielded devices , e.g. mobile phone and wifi interference

I pressume?

Yeah basically, really is a horrible sound!

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,575 of 42,765
  How can you test a Toslink cable with a phone ?

I was thinking about having the Mojo hooked up to something with a Toslink output (like an AK) and then see if a phone near the Mojo had an impact. That way you could see if it was the Mojo itself or the cable. 

You are correct that it would be hard to find a smartphone with an optical output. That might be a bit of a unicorn?

Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back