Chord Hugo UK Price Increase 3rd March
Feb 28, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #17 of 40
HARTMANN. You once told me that a headphone system doesn't have to look nice :)

Let me correct my statement: it doesn't have to look nice when sound is great and the price alright
biggrin.gif
that price increase just seems so wrong to me... It's like they want to say "Hey guys, we know our stuff is expensive.. you know what? WE DON'T CARE. AT ALL. Previews are favorable, so pay more if you want a Hugo!" 

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #19 of 40
This is such a crappy thing to do. I was saving for this one, but now it is going to shoot up £200, which I would hazard a guess at being because it has been very well received, I'm not going to bother. I'll wait for a 2nd hand one now.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #20 of 40
Let me correct my statement: it doesn't have to look nice when sound is great and the price alright :D that price increase just seems so wrong to me... It's like they want to say "Hey guys, we know our stuff is expensive.. you know what? WE DON'T CARE. AT ALL. Previews are favorable, so pay more if you want a Hugo!" 

Oh yeah, I think the price increase is wrong, but, if it is what people say it is - a DAC worthy of competing with the very best and a top portable amp to boot - then I'm surprised it was so cheap (relatively speaking) to begin with.

I'll remain on the fence about the aesthetics until I receive mine. I have to say, the pictures do nothing for me.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #21 of 40
The thing that's wrong with this in general is that when I'm traveling I have a much more care free attitude towards audio. I'm perfectly happy to listen to the lastest pop songs on the radio and not care about or even think about sound quality.

A £1200 portable DAC? No way I'm going to hear the difference when I'm traveling or sitting in a coffee shop. Seem kinds of pointless to me personally.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #22 of 40
Don't panic. 1400 Pounds (including VAT) = $2346.12.
This may represent an increase in the UK but this seems to be in line with the US price. 
I'm enjoying Hugo so far. Will follow up when I have more to say.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 40
Lots of whining and complaints.  That's just how business works.  Name one company that does any of this essentially for free.

If all we have to reach for is cheap, mediocre products then why bother?  Bring it on, Chord.  And Krell.  Any any other high end designer.  

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #26 of 40
I quiet like the styling but for that sort of money I would rather have quality of sound than looks. The new Bottlehead dac is due to be released soon there have been some prototype previews which have gone down very well with those who have heard it. So waiting to see what develops there as its been in the works for a long time pricing is expected to be around the $1000 mark.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #28 of 40
  Lots of whining and complaints.  That's just how business works.  Name one company that does any of this essentially for free.

Sandisk?

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #29 of 40
LOL.  Ok, I'll give you that.  Maybe I should have said "audio company", but now I'm backpedaling.  

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #30 of 40
Well, I was being half a smartass. But when I found out A&K will be selling their new player for $2499, I asked myself, will that player _really_ sound 500 times better than a clip+, which has a flat fr, low distortion, low output impedance, direct headphone coupling, and plays lossless as well? Or is it just "audiophile" ego stroking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back