Chord Hugo UK Price Increase 3rd March
Mar 3, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #31 of 40
Well, I was being half a smartass. But when I found out A&K will be selling their new player for $2499, I asked myself, will that player _really_ sound 500 times better than a clip+, which has a flat fr, low distortion, low output impedance, direct headphone coupling, and plays lossless as well? Or is it just "audiophile" ego stroking?
Try and find somewhere to listen to one, you may be impressed. :)

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #32 of 40
Perhaps if they took the 2 out of that price tag...

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #33 of 40
To extrapolate...smartphones such as the GS4 and iphone are gorgeous but I use a Lumia 520. Why? Those other devices, as amazing as they are, aren't 10x the price more amazing as my phone is just as functional, well built, and only a slightly lesser camera and screen seperate them.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #34 of 40
  Well, I was being half a smartass. But when I found out A&K will be selling their new player for $2499, I asked myself, will that player _really_ sound 500 times better than a clip+, which has a flat fr, low distortion, low output impedance, direct headphone coupling, and plays lossless as well? Or is it just "audiophile" ego stroking?

I think the only reason why the new A&K player is selling for so much is due to the influence of that scammer Tera Player.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #35 of 40

Only your ears can tell.  I've read many reviews that said something was the best ever.  Many times, though, they were the most average ever.  

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #36 of 40
That's true, a large percentage of people tend to over-exaggerate especially those with limited experience when they receive something good or at least decent they praise it to be end be all best. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #37 of 40
I think this little chord dac is hitting a very sore nerve with a lot of so called audiophiles...

Think about it like this: if chord was releasing a $2500 stationary dac no one would be batting an eye-lid. That is, they might be interested in the new product, but it wouldn't be anything groundbreaking.

But now that chord actually is releasing $2500 mobile dac it's suddenly a hot topic...

And how strange is that? Because when you think about it a mobile dac can of course also be used as a stationary one. What is that says that a dac in a big heavy gold plated chassi sounds better than something that fits in the palm of your hand?

Is it the OCD audiophile that wants big impressive statement pieces that he can decorate his man cave with? Does he feel threatened by this little dac? Afraid that it'll replace his stationary dac carved from solid obsidan? That he no longer will have a dac weighing 50lbs to assure him that all is right in the world?

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #40 of 40
I have yet to see a 50lb DAC would be awesome to feel one.

I think most of the noise generated now is the new price increase for no reason.

Yes, and modifying the case by basically just making the holes bigger (which actually results in less material :wink: also does not motivate a £200 price increase...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back