Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #1,531 of 1,671
Has anyone compared the TT2 to the original TT? I've never listened to another DAC that I prefer more than the original TT. I've listened to Dave, Qutest, and Hugo 2. Found Dave to sound too processed, Qutest and Hugo 2 to sound too harsh/bright/forward/lack a certain warmth and musical quality the original TT has.

I feel exactly the same way about the TT, and I’ve previously owned Hugo, Mojo, Hugo 2 and TT2. I’ve actually owned two TT2s as first time around, upon returning it, I let forum hyperbole convince me that I must have not been hearing what I was hearing (!) so tried again with another. I think TT2 likely really comes into its own with M-Scaler, but that’s one heck of an outlay. I found the sound I was looking for taking a chance on a used TT. It seems to have a near perfect balance (subjectively) of detail, PRAT, a natural warmth, and this uncanny ability to make your speakers sound that much bigger. There's an exuberance and flow to music too - It’s a really addictive listen! By comparison I felt the TT2 does a lot of things better in pure hifi terms, detail, timbre, sound-staging, but it just somehow didn’t draw me into the music or allow me to get lost in it in quite the same way as the TT. Nothing to do with what’s “better”, but what’s subjectively more pleasing to me at this point in time (tastes and gear often change in the future, of course!). I honestly think TT is the forgotten gem of the range, though I have yet to hear Dave, or TT2 M-scaled, though the latter two are well out of my price range alas. Who knows, knowing me perhaps I’ll gravitate towards another TT2 in the future. If I was a rich man then naturally I’d have both :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,533 of 1,671
nice to see I am not along )
knew these impressions regarding new line (higo2, TT2) vs classic hugo and TT will come sooner or later :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #1,534 of 1,671
nice to see I am not along )
knew these impressions regarding new line (higo2, TT2) vs classic hugo and TT will come sooner or later :wink:

The TT truly is one hell of a used bargain right now. You can get them for as little as £1100. I don’t know of anything else that can fully compete at that price :)

I did actually love my Hugo 2 (wish I could have kept that too) but the TT hits the subjective sweet spot for me (objectively, it measures superbly too). I think it’ll enjoy a second life as a bit of a cult item as time goes on, and word spreads, and deservedly so.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,535 of 1,671
I now have an mscaler and have tried it with both my TT and H2. Even though the H2 allows the full 1m taps, I still am drawn to the TT with the reduced 500k taps. There is just something sooo engaging about the TT1 especially with harder to drive headphones.

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #1,537 of 1,671
I now have an mscaler and have tried it with both my TT and H2. Even though the H2 allows the full 1m taps, I still am drawn to the TT with the reduced 500k taps. There is just something sooo engaging about the TT1 especially with harder to drive headphones.

Ironically the Hugo2 has more drive for harder to drive headphones than the TT1 (same power as Hugo1). Hmmm, implementation, synergy, and tuning contribute to preference, go figure.

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #1,538 of 1,671
It’s what I said all along, it was not popular opinion on h2 launch. I was scratching my head and shut up about TT

Oct 3, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,539 of 1,671
I think TT2 likely really comes into its own with M-Scaler.

What does the M-Scaler bring to the table? I have the Hugo1 and TT1. I use the TT every day to convert the sound and feed my Genelecs and Woo Audio WA5. I haven’t auditioned the M-Scaler, I’d love an opinion or two.

Oct 3, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,540 of 1,671
Do you feed tt via high quality server? Emphasis on high...

Oct 3, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #1,541 of 1,671

I’ve been surprised to see some favoring the TT over the TT2. Maybe your post points to the answer and it has something to do with driving headphones. I haven’t made much use of these devices with headphones.

The TT2 sounded to me like a much improved TT. Of course that’s exactly what it is, but by this I mean that they have largely the same sonic signature - except the TT2 does everything better. I found it difficult to go back to the TT after hearing the TT2 because the TT2 far more transparent. The TT sounds veiled relative to the TT2 - especially so in the upper frequencies.

Oct 3, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #1,542 of 1,671
I don’t think he was talking about tt2 comparison. But like myself tt vs Hugo or Hugo 2, tt seems better. Reports seem to show tt2 is preferred to tt but for me in canada. The tt at launch is 55% the cost of tt2. So even new, a great deal. Now if budget doesn’t matter you can belly up to tt2, for me I’m fine with tt.
Concerning the last poster who asked if Mscalero worth it. If you feed tt via a computer or not using a high end server, it could still be worth it. If one has a high end server I have been told to pass. So again I’m not getting scaler. Either. If budget matters.
Caveat this is second hand I have not tested all combinations

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #1,544 of 1,671
Hello the batteries should last much longer than five years because they are under very light loading conditions at all times with no hard deep discharge cycles that would be found to occurs in power tools say. We at chord have taken great care with the charging and protection circuitry to ensure a very long life many thousands of hours over the life expectancy of batteries in other applications. If any member of chord staff has answered a quiery about batteries possibly slightly incorrectly. It must be understood that as a small company when phones are ringing with some lines busy, anyone here must pick up the phone and answer a customers question to the best out their knowledge.

Does anybody know how long the TT should play (approximately) when unplugged from the charger and operating purely on battery power? I tried it yesterday out of curiosity and got approx. 7-8 hours playing lossless redbook files via USB. I was thinking as TT has twice the batteries as Hugo 1 this would mean twice the playback time, but I guess extra is consumed for the display, galvanic isolation circuitry and so on. Was just wondering if that indicates whether the batteries are still in great health in my TT or not?

Cheers! :)

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,545 of 1,671
I’d say yes. But I never unplug mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back