Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #451 of 1,686
The DAC itself is SE (as in only one DAC) but the output is split to a differential output for connection to a balanced amplifier. This isn't a bad thing at all with Rob's DACs.

Click below to read why.

That's for the Mojo, are you certain the TT is the same?

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #452 of 1,686
That's for the Mojo, are you certain the TT is the same?

The same as in why the DAC doesn't need to be balanced. Obviously the TT has the analogue out split for balanced output, but the DAC is SE. Same for the DAVE as well.

EDIT: The short story is, if your amp sounds better balanced then connect the TT using balanced out, but the DAC is SE.

Edit2: This is a link from the DAVE thread. Rob confirms the principle that SE is better vs balanced with his DACs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/135#post_11729829

Edit3: Actually these posts, as part of what I included in the previous spoiler, is from the DAVE thread. The principle is the same for the TT.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/180#post_11762778

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/195#post_11772205

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #453 of 1,686
Thanks Relic, you covered everything about balanced there!

Just to confirm - everything I said about balanced in the Mojo and Dave threads applies to TT too. I hope that clears the issue up!

Rob

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #454 of 1,686
Thanks Relic, you covered everything about balanced there!

Just to confirm - everything I said about balanced in the Mojo and Dave threads applies to TT too. I hope that clears the issue up!

Rob

No problem Rob. The thing is, it's a little daunting to understand the way you've implemented your DAC designs so coming from other high end audio it can be very confusing as to why things are different, and/or better with your SE implementation. I know I had to read your posts a few times to absorb what was being said.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #455 of 1,686
It's what I Understood as well, an se dac with balance out xlr. I didn't reply knowing someone more astute, xrelic, would cut n paste and offer a better presentation. It has confounded the balance versus se thing, never mind adding an external amp. However in the pursuit of squeezing what ever I can out of this hobby and TT, still going to find out first hand which I prefer, se or balanced, probably in a few more months.
Granted to stay on track, I'm loving the TT se direct to hd800S. Renee lee live and Gretchen paralto live have never sounded better to my ears.
Good thing this hobby attracts a fine group of OCD participants of various levels and financial means. :beerchug:

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #456 of 1,686
Anyone know when the Chord will be able to be used fully with a Mac?
Chord's web site says the problems do not affect the TT but I cannot get it to work with the HD USB connection to the Mac. No problem with the optical connection or the standard USB.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #457 of 1,686
Anyone know when the Chord will be able to be used fully with a Mac?
Chord's web site says the problems do not affect the TT but I cannot get it to work with the HD USB connection to the Mac. No problem with the optical connection or the standard USB.

What do you mean not work? Mine works with hd usb. Imac 5k loaded

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #458 of 1,686
I am using MBP and Audirvana. Trying to use the HD USB just hangs the computer and I have to force quit the programme.
Tried using Pure Music with same results.
In the Apple support forum they talk about a bug in El Capitan.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #459 of 1,686
I am using MBP and Audirvana. Trying to use the HD USB just hangs the computer and I have to force quit the programme.
Tried using Pure Music with same results.
In the Apple support forum they talk about a bug in El Capitan.

Ok its audio software probably and an old mac? You need tons of ram to run adiovana, or a conflict with ios. I just run el capitan and i tunes on a newish loaded imac, no problems really. TT works fine 32 bit 384 fr.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #461 of 1,686
Apologies for wasting your time.
Problem turned out to be the USB cable supplied by Chord was defective.
Changing it solved the problem!

Good to hear, i rarely use supplied conectors

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #462 of 1,686
Hi everyone, I have a question using my Hugo TT with Audirvana +.  When playing DSD, should I use DSD over PCM 1.0 or DSD over PCM 1.1?  I tried to search but could not find much information on this.  Many thanks, Brian

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #463 of 1,686
Having balanced outs does not necessarily mean the dac itself is balanced.

I'm not asking about what I want or don't want, I'm asking about how the cord Hugo TT actually is.

Hello I have posted about this some time ago
The primary reason many Dacs have a balanced internal topology is try to overcome switching noise that has been induced into the Dac chips substrate. Balanced circuitry though causes other distortions that should be avoided. Chord Dacs have no substrate switching noise because the switching elements are seperated from the FPGA and more importantly from the analogue circuitry. So because we don't use standard Dac chips that can suffer from these problems. Therefore we do not have no need to used a balanced internal topology so we don't! The balanced analogue outputs are derived externally in analogue form only from single ended ultra low distortion output. I hope that is not too confusing.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #464 of 1,686
Sometimes balanced is better, sometimes not; sometimes balanced can add brightness or glare.
It's strange and this is based on 20 years of fooling around with what feels like a ton of equipment (amps, dacs, cd players, headphones, speakers; all with digital though-- no turntables).

Just an update on my Hugo TT experience here:
FWIW, the TT after a few months is an absolute keeper. It's just pure enjoyment. I'm sure there is more resolution to be had out there, but for me, chasing a Holy Grail for my desktop system is not worth it,
especially since that extra resolution could come with greater fatigue or shrillness.

With the TT I get speed, good transparent bass, listenable vocals without glare (even on older pop/rock like the Beatles or modern sort-of hyped-up stuff like Meghan Trainor),
speed (like percussion on old CDs where I can hear each beat pretty clearly in rapid drum sequences),
and nice rounded image delineation.

It's a nice balance of precision and detail without too much sharpness. And the bass is not soft, which is often a problem when trying to avoid fatiguing sound.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #465 of 1,686
  Sometimes balanced is better, sometimes not; sometimes balanced can add brightness or glare.
It's strange and this is based on 20 years of fooling around with what feels like a ton of equipment (amps, dacs, cd players, headphones, speakers; all with digital though-- no turntables).

Just an update on my Hugo TT experience here:
FWIW, the TT after a few months is an absolute keeper. It's just pure enjoyment. I'm sure there is more resolution to be had out there, but for me, chasing a Holy Grail for my desktop system is not worth it,
especially since that extra resolution could come with greater fatigue or shrillness.

With the TT I get speed, good transparent bass, listenable vocals without glare (even on older pop/rock like the Beatles or modern sort-of hyped-up stuff like Meghan Trainor),
speed (like percussion on old CDs where I can hear each beat pretty clearly in rapid drum sequences),
and nice rounded image delineation.

It's a nice balance of precision and detail without too much sharpness. And the bass is not soft, which is often a problem when trying to avoid fatiguing sound.

Agree with all of this, I will add the bass is actually quite a good slam when called for, but nice and tight. overall good authority. It may not be perfect but who cares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back