Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #46 of 1,671
I'm a new Head-Fi forum user looking for some help. Has anyone experienced any difficulty using the Chord TT on the HD input, feeding from a Windows laptop? I have a TT that works fine on the HD USB fed by an Aurender S10, but yet will not run from the laptop. (Toshiba Tecra, WIN 7 Pro, i7, 1Gb SSD, using jRiver MC20). I've tried re-installing the drivers, etc., and the system does work from the SD USB input. (which I'm told actually uses a renamed Windows legacy driver). I also tried with a WIN 8 ASUS laptop, with identical results. Files either won't play at all, or the sound skips or drops out continuously. A regular HUGO interestingly, plays perfectly on HD from the same Toshiba laptop. Any one with ay experience here?

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #47 of 1,671
  I'm a new Head-Fi forum user looking for some help. Has anyone experienced any difficulty using the Chord TT on the HD input, feeding from a Windows laptop? I have a TT that works fine on the HD USB fed by an Aurender S10, but yet will not run from the laptop. (Toshiba Tecra, WIN 7 Pro, i7, 1Gb SSD, using jRiver MC20). I've tried re-installing the drivers, etc., and the system does work from the SD USB input. (which I'm told actually uses a renamed Windows legacy driver). I also tried with a WIN 8 ASUS laptop, with identical results. Files either won't play at all, or the sound skips or drops out continuously. A regular HUGO interestingly, plays perfectly on HD from the same Toshiba laptop. Any one with ay experience here?

sorry I missed this, give me a day or two & I'll get back to you... there is another Hugo-TT thread, you might want to post in the thread, see below.

link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/749063/the-chord-hugo-tt-is-announced/180#post_11858904

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #48 of 1,671
Mmm..........QBD76 or Hugo TT ?????? Decisions. Decisions. Decisions. And I have until Tuesday to decide. It is a big problem for me..........a big, beautiful problem to solve but it looks like bye, bye time for my Chord Hugo (sniffles).......lol!

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #51 of 1,671
 ​
 ​

CanJam London
 ​
Date: Saturday 29th - Sunday 30th
 ​
Venue: Hotel Russell
Russell Square, London WC1
 ​
Nearest  Tube: Russell Square (Piccadilly-Line)
 ​
Chord Electronics is a proud Sponsor of the inaugural
CanJam-London Event
 ​
We will have the Chord Hugo, Chord Hugo-TT & Chord 2Qute on display with Headphones from Beyerdynamic, Grado Labs, Rhapsodio & Dita Audio
 ​
John Franks & Rob Watts will be in attendance along with the team from Chord Electronics
 ​
 ​

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #52 of 1,671
Mmm......I think I know the cause of the connectivity problem: the stock USB cable is defective. Mine does not work when the TT connected to my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Foobar. I tried everything but it did not work. No sound output on either standard definition usb or high definition usb. On a hunch, I replaced the stock and cheap (sorry) usb with my Alo Audio Green Line USB (which just happens to be the right usb type that the Chord TT uses). It worked. Usb sd. and usb hd are now nominal. My OS is Windows 10. The Chord TT also works with my laptop  running Groove Music (Windows 10 music app).........and now, I am putting my TT through its paces by playing some French chick music that I do not understand.....not one word but it sounds sublime.

P.S. my 8th-month old Chord Hugo was evicted by hos Big Brother from my house at 1730 hours 25th August 2015.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #53 of 1,671
  Mmm......and now, I am putting my TT through its paces by playing some French 'chick' music that I do not understand.....not one word but it sounds sublime.

best to tweet that on Twitter, they get the birdy malarkey on there... if it helps, I've never got the 'dawn chorus' but agree some days it is sublime...
wink_face.gif

ps... glad things are sorted...
regular_smile .gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #55 of 1,671
mmm.....actually, there's no reason to keep the Chord Hugo if you are going for Chord TT. You'll just hate the Chord Hugo once you've listened to the TT. That's why I let mine go. Granted that the TT stretches the definition of transportable headfi equipment, I am willing to sacrifice portability to get what I consider is a truly summit-fi experience *without* need for AC power. I'm a transportable/portable headfi freak and the TT is right up my alley. Damn good product......

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #58 of 1,671
  mmm.....actually, there's no reason to keep the Chord Hugo if you are going for Chord TT. You'll just hate the Chord Hugo once you've listened to the TT......

the SQ difference between the HUGO and the TT is that important ?!  
eek.gif

I owe a HUGO and quickly tested the TT with my ED5 during Munich's show and couldn't really hear a real SQ difference !

So, I had hopes that the DAVE will be a bigger step-up from my HUGO more able to justify a new purchase... but like you I really prefer a Battery operated solution.

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #59 of 1,671

the SQ difference between the HUGO and the TT is that important ?!  
eek.gif

I owe a HUGO and quickly tested the TT with my ED5 during Munich's show and couldn't really hear a real SQ difference !

So, I had hopes that the DAVE will be a bigger step-up from my HUGO more able to justify a new purchase... but like you I really prefer a Battery operated solution.

There is a solid SQ difference between the Hugo and the TT, especially when using as a DAC only feeding another amp. YMMV.

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #60 of 1,671

I notice you have posted frequently about the TT, but had assumed this was based upon lengthy experience due to the advice being rendered to members! The usual consensus is that trade show impressions are a notoriously imperfect setting to make a definitive decision, never mind any assessment based on a very short listening period only. Trade shows are nevertheless useful research tools but should really be followed up by a quieter demo arranged with a local dealer.

Anyway, ultimately the only ears that matter are our own. If you cannot hear a difference then save money and do not buy. That does not mean another listener is wrong if they have a different opinion. The two outcomes are plausible and neither invalidates the other. Even if one can hear a difference, it is all relative and personal. We all have different spending priorities.

Whilst it is natural to compare the Hugo TT to the Hugo, a more appropriate - and dare I suggest it, interesting - comparison would be other all-in-one desktop units on the market. An example would be the Resonessence Labs Invicta Headphone Source. Although it has been a while since my home demo of the beastly Invicta, the Hugo TT makes more sense for £2,000 less - and make no mistake about it how impressed I was by the Invicta. A buyer would have to exceptionally value the built-in SD card and hdmi output of the Invicta to pay the premium!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back