Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #137 of 1,858
  Lorias, I have a Hugo but haven't used it out and about yet.  However my experiences at home may help with your decision.
1. My idea was to use my HTC One M8 with the Hugo for portable use on long journeys where I would have a bag. I thought it would be great to transfer music files from my NAS directly onto the microSD card of the M8 and be ready to go.  However, the latest version of Android, KitKat, prevents certain apps writing to the memory card for security reasons. I therefore have to use my computer to transfer files to the microSD card which is an extra layer of hassle. Not sure if the Samsung has a SD card slot, but if it does ...
2. Not all android devices are compatible with the asynchronous/HD input of the Hugo. My Lenovo Yoga 8 works fine on the SD input but there is a crackling noise on the HD one. This is a known issue with the way some devices implement audio and is not an Android or UAPP issue.   This information came from the developers of UAPP when I reported the crackling as a problem! My M8 is also more sensitive to the USB connection if using the HD input. I have to take the case off to connect the cable to make sure I don't get any of the crackling noise. This could just be me though ...
3. In the end I bought a 64Gb iPod Touch and use Onkyo HF Player for portable use. Saves the batteries on my mobile and, this may be blasphemous, simple things just work better on Apple.
Hope this helps
Raja
PS: I have a B stock Hugo. I saved £200. There are marks on the case but you have to get a magnifying glass out to see them. That's a result I think!  

Yes, the Galaxy S3 supports microSD cards up to 64 GB. I have read that not all Android phones are the same when it comes to the implementation of USB OTG (On-The-Go), which is what UAPP uses to be able to play Hi Res audio through USB DACs that can support it (such as the Hugo). So on some Android phones, Hi Res playback via USB OTG works fine, whereas on others it is either flawed or simply not working. This limits phone choices if you want to pair it with the Hugo or similar for Hi Res output, and, reportedly, the Galaxy S3 has no problems if paired with the Hugo in this manner.

I am expecting the Astell & Kern AK240 to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow, but thank you anyway for sharing. :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #138 of 1,858
Guys I hate to be a leecher. But after some research been done, still didn't find a good solution from iPhone to hugo. Can you enlighten me on that?

1.My best guess is one single cable of micro usb and lightning but I have not yet found one apart from that more than 200$ one.
2. Camera kit ok solution?

Thank you.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #139 of 1,858
  Guys I hate to be a leecher. But after some research been done, still didn't find a good solution from iPhone to hugo. Can you enlighten me on that?

1.My best guess is one single cable of micro usb and lightning but I have not yet found one apart from that more than 200$ one.

Thank you.

you have to go the camera-kit route as I don't believe there is a single cable solution (I don't own anything Apple).. bit like using my ZX1, it's a two cable affair.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #140 of 1,858

Thank you.

Not sure if the setup with an iPhone would be the same, but for my iPad, using the Lightning to USB Camera Adaptor in combination with Onkyo HD Player does the trick for playing hi-res music with the Hugo.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #141 of 1,858
I use the camera connection kit and the USB A to USB micro B that came with the Hugo. The Apple lightning to micro USB adapter only works for charging the iPod using a standard USB micro B cable. It doesn't work with the Hugo. I should have read the description but I'd had a few beers and it seemed to be worth a punt. Regretted it the next day.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #142 of 1,858
Not sure if the setup with an iPhone would be the same, but for my iPad, using the Lightning to USB Camera Adaptor in combination with Onkyo HD Player does the trick for playing hi-res music with the Hugo.

Stock music player of course being fine with standard 44.1 music and the designer has gone into detail why Hugo + 44.1 is fine

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #143 of 1,858
the eagle Hugo has landed... after a torturous journey getting here (about 7miles) he's knackered so I told Hugo to 'take a weight off & recharge his batteries'... gotta look after your mates...
wink_face.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #144 of 1,858
Excellent! He's a good mate, but once recharged he'll keep you talking (busy) for ages without stopping for a breath!
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #147 of 1,858
I've been conspicuous by my absence, reason being quite simply, the Hugo and Sennheiser IE800s make [get the sick bucket ready] beautiful music...

...I feel there is little need to talk about it. which makes more time to enjoy it...

My analogy here is that prior to this was like being on a dating website - would you still keep signing in when you found your life partner?

...There may well be moments of infidelity in the future, but - you know where your heart is...

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #148 of 1,858
I am getting the cardas iem again, i am getting a positive vibe from this too.

ie800 and Hugo is great, dita truth and Hugo is even better!

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #149 of 1,858
the Hugo is ruining me, started listening to it at 8'ish last night and have only just taken me headphones out me ears (it's coming up 6am), damn the Hugo is addictive.. even had to put Led-Zep on hold to rush to the cupboard & get the broom out so I could duet with Jimmy Page... I ain't done that in a age.

in other news...

here's a interview with Rob Watts by Edd Harris from Pro-Audio... some interesting titbits, enjoy the read...

http://theproaudiowebblog.com/rob-watts-interview.html

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #150 of 1,858
  the Hugo is ruining me, started listening to it at 8'ish last night and have only just taken me headphones out me ears (it's coming up 6am), damn the Hugo is addictive.. even had to put Led-Zep on hold to rush to the cupboard & get the broom out so I could duet with Jimmy Page... I ain't done that in a age.

in other news...

here's a interview with Rob Watts by Edd Harris from Pro-Audio... some interesting titbits, enjoy the read...

http://theproaudiowebblog.com/rob-watts-interview.html

I have a creative T3 speakers at home, very plain vanilla kind of speakers for gaming and watching movies mainly. After getting into the portable rig hobby, I plug in my other stacks to the creative speakers and sound pretty crappy IMO. either the bass is too much or too light, clarity isnt there, etc.

When I first got my Hugo, i wanted to try to see if it works well else I needed to rush bk to the shop and asked for a one to one exchange. Long story short, hooked the hugo up to the creative speakers and wow! boy did it sound good and musical! I was pleasantly surprised.

One more story, ever since getting my shure 846, my se535ltd has been put into isolation, i took it out the other day, plugged it into the hugo and i was like wow! i didnt know the se535ltd could sound like that.

Conclusion, I used to think the Chord Hugo is overated, branding and pricing wise. I got the hugo simply bcos of the gadget whore that i am, and i never got to audition the hugo till i bought it. Till i listened to it, I am awed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back