Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Aug 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #151 of 1,858
I´v just listened to Beethoven Symphony No. 9: http://www.hdtracks.com/classic-100-classical/beethoven-symphonie-no-9
This is one of the best classical recordings I have ever heard. And this symphony is also one of my favourites. It like it´s
made for Hugo + TH900. The soundstage is huge! But still you can hear every instrument like they had seperate mics. Extremely detailed.
This recording also has an insane dynamic range. Normally I have my volum somewhere around green. On this record I have my
volum well into the blue area without getting too loud. (And still there´s no hiss from silent parts of the album)

Just a little music tip if you´re into classical music. And if you´re not, you should still check out this record. :wink:

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #152 of 1,858
  I´v just listened to Beethoven Symphony No. 9: http://www.hdtracks.com/classic-100-classical/beethoven-symphonie-no-9

Thanks for the link.   Indeed, Since I love also the N°9 and I also have a HUGO+TH900, I gave this version a try.

I have to say that I find the Karajan version much more dynamic, but I agree that there is some annowing hiss in it.

I also have the Barenboim version. Quite dynamic also, without the hiss that i sin the Karajan version

All 3 are 24/96, so we can really compare.

[Mod Edit] Fixed first link...

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #153 of 1,858
Is that the same Barenboim as this? http://www.hdtracks.com/beethoven-for-all-symphonies-1-9
The sound is ok, but the performance is not as good as the other versions I have. I believe it´s an amateur orchestra with youths from
the middle east performing. I bought the set with all 9 symphonies, but I haven´t listened to it much.

Btw, I use the first setting of crossfeed when I listen to this album (red light). It really opens up the soundstage. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #154 of 1,858
  Is that the same Barenboim as this? http://www.hdtracks.com/beethoven-for-all-symphonies-1-9
The sound is ok, but the performance is not as good as the other versions I have. I believe it´s an amateur orchestra with youths from
the middle east performing. I bought the set with all 9 symphonies, but I haven´t listened to it much.

I believe it is not the same: mine is from the Staatskapelle Berlin, Orchestra. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #155 of 1,858
I am getting the cardas iem again, i am getting a positive vibe from this too.

ie800 and Hugo is great, dita truth and Hugo is even better!
Shh! Not supposed to be making me think about cheating on my IEs!

It is making me wonder though, how much better this can get!
Thanks for the link.   Indeed, Since I love also the N°9 and I also have a HUGO+TH900, I gave this version a try.

I have to say that I find the Karajan version much more dynamic, but I agree that there is some annowing hiss in it.

I also have the Barenboim version. Quite dynamic also, without the hiss that i sin the Karajan version

All 3 are 24/96, so we can really compare.

[Mod Edit] Fixed first link...
Thankfully not available to me in the UK - haha, I cannot be spending money on three versions of the same music, to compare - that really will bankrupt me :D

Hugo is causing insomnia, I still maintain, as per an earlier post that Chord need to add a health warning to Hugo's packaging - "may interfere with sleep patterns and partner relations, use at your own risk"

Haha.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #157 of 1,858
Hugo is causing insomnia, I still maintain, as per an earlier post that Chord need to add a health warning to Hugo's packaging - "may interfere with sleep patterns and partner relations, use at your own risk"

Haha.

my night started with 'Porcupine Tree - Coma Devine (Live)' followed by 'The Cure - Disintegration' the latter being a very dark album with loads going on in the lower regions, separated quite admirably by Mr Hugo.... had to calm things down after those two so plonked on an album full of classics from a bygone era 'Harry Nilsson - A Little Touch of Schmilisson in the Night', this album is one of the late night legendry ones imo, a wonderful voice backed by a full Orchestra, the music from the likes of Irving Berlin don't get to sound much better.

have to agree Duncan, sleep is hard to come by at night...
blink.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #159 of 1,858
This is one of the best classical recordings I have ever heard. And this symphony is also one of my favourites. It like it´s
made for Hugo + TH900. The soundstage is huge! But still you can hear every instrument like they had seperate mics. Extremely detailed.
This recording also has an insane dynamic range. Normally I have my volum somewhere around green. On this record I have my
volum well into the blue area without getting too loud. (And still there´s no hiss from silent parts of the album)

Just a little music tip if you´re into classical music. And if you´re not, you should still check out this record. :wink:

I'm struggling as I purchased the recording on your thoughts here, but find the opposite.

I have to turn the volume up to 80% volume to hear anything, whereas the rest I need it around 30%.

It sounds muffled and generally poor, so I am not sure what I have done wrong.

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #160 of 1,858
I'm struggling as I purchased the recording on your thoughts here, but find the opposite.

I have to turn the volume up to 80% volume to hear anything, whereas the rest I need it around 30%.

Agree. You did nothing wrong: As I said above this revordong really Lack dynamic !

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #161 of 1,858
I´m sorry if I have misguided you into buying a record you didn´t like. I really enjoyed it on my Hugo.
It´s a record with a VERY large headroom in sound. I measured it. And it has a good dynamic range.

Ex. Adagio molto e cantabile has a peak value of - 14.65 dB and a average RMS of -37.83 dB wich
gives a dynamic range of 17.84 dB That is not unusual in classical recordings, but still very good.

That´s why you have to really crank up the volume to get satisfying listening levels. What impressed
me was that even playing this loud there was almost no hiss from the recording and the details of every
instrument was so stunning. To me at least. :wink:

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #162 of 1,858

The loudness war strikes again

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #163 of 1,858
The loudness war strikes again

What is the loudness war?

I tried to explain the fact that this one particular recording was not great imho through my hugo compared to the others that I own.

Edit: I should add, that I am not blaming anyone but myself, as I blindly missed other posts on the subject and still purchased, so no issue to others, just expressing my opinion.

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #165 of 1,858
I am getting the cardas iem again, i am getting a positive vibe from this too.

ie800 and Hugo is great, dita truth and Hugo is even better!

tell me how the cardas iem works with hugo, I have shure 846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back