Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jun 15, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,441 of 1,858
The AK240 as a stand alone is excellent player and always with me on the go. The Hugo is very synergistic with the AK240 and unfortunately hav not compared  other to it but I would say it would still be excellent because the Hugo dac is doing 95 percent of the work.

I think that's a point many miss when questioning pairing with the Hugo. Many use with and without depending on the circumstances.

I also believe there are (small) differences with different DAPs.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,442 of 1,858
Can also add that it's sounding rather superb at moment with X5 2nd gen :)

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,443 of 1,858
Can also add that it's sounding rather superb at moment with X5 2nd gen :)

Now, hopefully you're not going to say that it sounds different to X5+Hugo
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,444 of 1,858

Now, hopefully you're not going to say that it sounds different to X5+Hugo
biggrin.gif

Its sounds just as great
gs1000.gif
 but slicker controls and better display.

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,445 of 1,858
I think that's a point many miss when questioning pairing with the Hugo. Many use with and without depending on the circumstances.

I also believe there are (small) differences with different DAPs.

I would agree since the DAP will become the server and differences should be small since they all would use the Hugo DAC which is special

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #1,450 of 1,858
  Interesting i have the AK100 with hugo and is much better than laptop. But wonder if AK240 as DAP is an overkill and probably use that money to get better cans or cables

Yes, for a transport. However, if you're looking to upgrade AK100 as a stand-alone DAP, there are plenty of options other than AK240.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,452 of 1,858
  Interesting i have the AK100 with hugo and is much better than laptop. But wonder if AK240 as DAP is an overkill and probably use that money to get better cans or cables

If you have an android phone try this app called USB Audio Pro Player, I find this to be the best sound quality transport so far that I've tried with Chord Hugo. I've tried CD player, Ibasso dx90, macbook pro (stock), mac mini (heavily tweaked/stripped down).

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,453 of 1,858
  If you have an android phone try this app called USB Audio Pro Player, I find this to be the best sound quality transport so far that I've tried with Chord Hugo. I've tried CD player, Ibasso dx90, macbook pro (stock), mac mini (heavily tweaked/stripped down).

Hi Alubis, actually there is a reason whhy AK is better because I can use the optical input. TO get the best out of Hugo is via its optical as the USB is not shielded. This has also been confirmed with Rob from chord. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #1,454 of 1,858
  I lost my USB A to USB micro interconnect that came with my Hugo. Does anyone know if there's a way of getting spares of that nature from Chord? I'd be prepared to pay, but I'd rather Chord had my money than anyone else...

HI I have an extra pair of 1 feet USB A to USB micro silver dragon from Moon audio. Its $180 new-  i can sell at a discount if you are interested.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,455 of 1,858
  HI I have an extra pair of 1 feet USB A to USB micro silver dragon from Moon audio. Its $180 new-  i can sell at a discount if you are interested.

I have tried SPDIF/Coax, Optical, and USB with my various transports and to my ears, the best is via USB using android smartphone and USB Audio Player Pro app (yes, I read Rob prefer the optical but with 2Qute he now prefers via usb). The problem with the Hugo USB input is no galvanic isolation (unlike 2qute), but I think the Android Smartphone running low power battery does not face this problem unlike PC or Mac. Try it yourself, the app only cost USD10, might save you some money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back