Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jun 10, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #1,426 of 1,858
That doesn't sound right to me. The volume control IMHO is very precise. The only thing I do not like is that it starts in the "green position" which is way to loud when you use the Shure 846's.

+1
Way too loud with any IEMs. It's a portable (ish) device - what were they thinking most people would be using?

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,427 of 1,858
+1
Way too loud with any IEMs. It's a portable (ish) device - what were they thinking most people would be using?

It;s way too load for many full size headphones also. I find that it's only the planars that may need a small increase. With sensitive iems it is important to move it well below red before connecting. Fortunately Hugo has some very fine volume copntrol in the infrared area.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #1,428 of 1,858
It;s way too load for many full size headphones also. I find that it's only the planars that may need a small increase. With sensitive iems it is important to move it well below red before connecting. Fortunately Hugo has some very fine volume copntrol in the infrared area.

I've had to crank it a few times with headphones, so it's good to have the headroom, and I do get a difference with my IEMs, but it's annoying when you forget to turn down the initial green volume when you first turn on and start playing music

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #1,429 of 1,858

Even green is way to loud with the Shure's. It would be nice if the volume stays on the same level when you turned it off. The volume controller itself is really precise, and does not have to change IMHO. 

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,430 of 1,858
  Even green is way to loud with the Shure's. It would be nice if the volume stays on the same level when you turned it off. The volume controller itself is really precise, and does not have to change IMHO. 

Yes, it is the default (Green) that we are saying is way too loud. With something as efficient as the Shures it would be deafening. I have praised the volume control as it is easy to exercise fine control over very low volumes.
Having the default volume at the last used position can also be dangerous if you use both highly efficient and more demanding headphones. Better to be able to set your own level low enough for your most efficient iems. That way there are no surprises

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,431 of 1,858
i will add i do not like the volume wheel at all on the hugo....for me very difficult to adjust volume properly...sometimes i have to turn it a fair bit to get the volume to increase then sometimes the same movement doesnt increase the volume and then sometimes it increases it too much....perhaps i am doing something wrong but so far that is my one complaint
I have this happen too, not sure why, but don't really mind too much as used to powering on, spinning volume down to brown and working back up again :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,432 of 1,858
I have this happen too, not sure why, but don't really mind too much as used to powering on, spinning volume down to brown and working back up again
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe it happens due to the design used to implement it. The volume itself is full digital, so there is no reason why this should happen besides the wheel senzors needing to re-adjust themselves. 

On the other hand, am I the only one who considers that the average person will use very little of the volume that Hugo can give at max? 

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,433 of 1,858
  Maybe it happens due to the design used to implement it. The volume itself is full digital, so there is no reason why this should happen besides the wheel senzors needing to re-adjust themselves. 

On the other hand, am I the only one who considers that the average person will use very little of the volume that Hugo can give at max? 

Default "line out" is blue - some inputs may work better with higher levels.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #1,434 of 1,858
I have this happen too, not sure why, but don't really mind too much as used to powering on, spinning volume down to brown and working back up again 

I also turn it on and then put the volume to its lowest point before adjusting it back up...that i can deal with.My problem is that when i turn it up louder or lower it seems to sometimes lag and sometimes not get louder and then all of a sudden get way louder than i intended and we all know it can get very loud.I have even had cases where I turn it up and it gets very loud with a tiny move of the wheel and then when i turn it to lower it it actually continues to get louder initially.I bought this used from one of the more esteemed members of this forum and he tells me he didnt have such issues so I am trying to figure it out.Otherwise I love the sound 

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #1,435 of 1,858

I do not really mind it either but sometimes I forget it, turn it on with the Shure's in my ears and click play. I do not know how fast I need to disconnect, stop te playlist or pull the usb cable :p

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,437 of 1,858

The Chord Hugo with  the AK240 and Oppo PM-1 is an awesome combination.

Nice combo indeed! How is the Hugo working out to drive this Pm-1?

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,439 of 1,858

The Chord Hugo with  the AK240 and Oppo PM-1 is an awesome combination.

Out of interest how does the AK240 alone compare with combo, on easy to drive gear? And did you compare AK240 to lesser DAPs driving the Hugo?

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #1,440 of 1,858
Out of interest how does the AK240 alone compare with combo, on easy to drive gear? And did you compare AK240 to lesser DAPs driving the Hugo?

The AK240 as a stand alone is excellent player and always with me on the go. The Hugo is very synergistic with the AK240 and unfortunately hav not compared  other to it but I would say it would still be excellent because the Hugo dac is doing 95 percent of the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back