Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Aug 29, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #408 of 1,858
one-off at the moment.... hopefully we might see a ltd-ed soon but that'll only happen if JF is satisfied with the finish.

there's some serious casework going on, the colour is embedded into the aluminium by a special process, that Hugo is stunning in the hand believe me... don't ask me for a release date as I'm still not sure if it's a goer & JF wouldn't commit, hth.

You mean PVD? Used in watches as well.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #409 of 1,858
alrainbow

I'm using my Hugo with the following equipment:

Apple MBP
USB > AUM Acoustics power supply>
Audiophilleo AP2se (384k capable)>
Coax > Hugo> analog out>
Peachtree Grand Integrated x-1
B&W 805d speakers
All Kimber Kable's

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #410 of 1,858
You mean PVD? Used in watches as well.

in truth I was listening to JF when he was explaining the process to me, something about opening the pores and putting the colour in & then some other process but I was sooo distracted by the beauty of 'Hugo the Black' that I really didn't take it all in (plus I was also trying to figure a way of umm stealing borrowing it).

without seemingly being naïve what is PVD?... thought I best ask as there's bound to be a few Head-Fi'ers who like me are into 'life long learning'...
wink_face.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #411 of 1,858

in truth I was listening to JF when he was explaining the process to me, something about opening the pores and putting the colour in & then some other process but I was sooo distracted by the beauty of 'Hugo the Black' that I really didn't take it all in (plus I was also trying to figure a way of umm stealing borrowing it).

without seemingly being naïve what is PVD?... thought I best ask as there's bound to be a few Head-Fi'ers who like me are into 'life long learning'...
wink_face.gif

Frankly Im not technically inclined to what PVD is about, its Physical Vapor deposition process and Im not really sure how it works but it is very commonly used on watches. I will go read up more on it though.

Anyways just to share my customised Hugo :)

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #412 of 1,858
  Frankly Im not technically inclined to what PVD is about, its Physical Vapor deposition process and Im not really sure how it works but it is very commonly used on watches. I will go read up more on it though.

Anyways just to share my customised Hugo :)

that was almost the perfect 'pimp' but for that royal-blue bit in the middle, claret & blue(light) is a bit special to me so 10/10 for that.

you could be the first 'I pimped my Hugo' Head-Fi'er...
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #415 of 1,858
Once more conspicuous by my absence, been toying with getting new IEMs to partner the IE800...

Considering Westone UM50 Pro and W50 alongside Inear StageDiver SD3s, but that led me on a tour of my other BA IEMs, Sony XBA4 / HA3, and the surprise of the show, the Heir Tzar 350...

I swear that the Hugo pushes the Tzar (with its crazy 350ohm impedance) to levels I've not yet heard, the normally timid Tzars have a really tight (and relatively volumous) bottom end via Hugo that I haven't been able to reproduce anywhere else [on the Tzars], and the sometimes bashful treble seems to be held in check regardless of volume...

Maybe I should just stay where I am on the IEM front lol...

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #416 of 1,858
Many iems could not reach their full potential with portable gear until the arrival of Chord Hugo.

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #418 of 1,858
HUGO is great no doubt but what it might offer to some it might not be to their liking. It is hard to explain but it is one of those products that you must listen closely for yourself.

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #419 of 1,858
Not sure it will received well but this is a very honest view of mine.
CIEMS perform well in outdoor or noisy environments but do not give the details of good headphones.
But good CIEMS. Do give enough detail to warrant a good DAC / amp. As a Hugo.
Now weather you want to spend that much on combo is up to you. It is much better than the hdp r10 I have
And sounds pretty good using it as a transport too.
But do not let anyone tell you IEMS or CIEMS give the same level of details as headphones and the same goes for speakers.

Al

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #420 of 1,858
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. I don't own any headphones, but I do have some very nice IEMS. I do 90% of my listen while being out and about. That's my only reason why I hesitate to purchase one. it's a hefty investment for something that at times, will collect dust due to lack of use. Question is, is the sound amazing enough to justify it for that 10% of the time? Only 1 true way to find out unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back