Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Aug 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #391 of 1,858
I asked Craig of Whiplash if they make the iPhone to mini USB connector and they do. I am not sure though if I want to use my iPhone for a storage source. The DX90 with coax has been working excellent and I like the ability to change out cards. 

Will they make this with an included CCK chip? Without will not work with Hugo.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #392 of 1,858
Al, per my sig I've purchased Phil's AO and I'm playing around with the iFi gear in my sig - I wont make any claims re either until I'm happy that placebo and new toy joy have left the building. 

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #394 of 1,858
Duncan, I posted this in another thread but I feel it is better served here. If you feel this could be the start of a new thread, please let me know. Here it goes:

I'm a proud owner of a Chord Hugo. Actually on my second unit. I was lucky enough to get one of the latest versions with better power supply and larger RCA openings. I have to admit that I was very vocal about the design early on but after listening to the Hugo with my home system for the past 5 months, the sound is simply awesome for me. Helps me to forget about some of the case issues. Rob, thank you for creating an awesome unit! I would like to suggest a possible add-on device that Chord or somebody might be able to develop. I use my Hugo in my home setup period. I know it was designed to be mobile but I prefer my AK240 for travel. Because of this, I think it would be awesome if somebody created a Chord Hugo Cradle. Most portable units (Astell & Kern for instance) provide an optional cradle for easy home integration. If one were to develop a Hugo cradle, the opportunity to tackle all the hole sizing issues could be easily handled. Also an opportunity to have the Hugo automatically adjust the volume to MAX for line out by default? Maybe be able to provide some 12v trigger capabilities? I know Hugo was designed for portability and the QBD76 is their flagship home device but I have to believe there are many users out there that are in my boat. That of enjoying the Hugo in their home setup, needing a cradle and not being able to afford the QBD76 or simply not wanting to spend aprox. $7500. The cradle could be a $1K accessory that allows it to convert to more of a home unit with portable capabilities when removed from the cradle. It would also give Chord to provide solutions for all the supposed design issues people seem to have when using custom high end cables. Total investment would land the Hugo in the $3500 - $4000 range (well under the QBD76) and offer the best of both worlds, Home integration & Portable headphone amp/ DAC use. I have a few others suggestions for the cradle but would like to hear thoughts from others.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #395 of 1,858
So what is the difference in the "new" power supply?

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #396 of 1,858
Chord made a power supply change to the new Hugos (those shipped in May and after) and this has changed the sound as compared to the prior Hugos. Not sure of the specifics, simply was told this by a Chord Dealer.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #397 of 1,858
Before buying the Hugo in July I talked to Matt at Chord Electronics about this power supply upgrade, and he said the only change in old in new Hugo was the chassis, the circuit is exactly the same.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #398 of 1,858
I asked Rob. He stated that yes, there was a change to the power supply (external converter) to charge the unit (mine works fine so I don't care) but it had no impact on the sound. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #399 of 1,858
Papa what speakers /amp are you using. Also what type files. PCM or DSD

Regarding the Hugo sound. I would think what ever was done would not impact sound or this would be unfair to any who have an older unit. I know I have the last run style
But I do feel no sonic changes have been made.
Mr watts cares way too much about the sonic quality of the Hugo to allow this to happen.

Also how do you feed the Hugo it's digital audio.
Meaning USB or optical.
Enjoy your Hugo
Al

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #400 of 1,858
  Before buying the Hugo in July I talked to Matt at Chord Electronics about this power supply upgrade, and he said the only change in old in new Hugo was the chassis, the circuit is exactly the same.

just spoke to Matt and there was a minor modification to the electrical-circuit to accommodate the new casework... there is no difference in sound between the mk1/mk2 Hugo's, hopefully that clears any confusion.

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #401 of 1,858
A Message from the Chord team..... for all owners of the Apple iPod Classic...

the camera-kit supplied will not work if you connect the iPod Classic to the Hugo... I have been reliably informed that this is because of IOS or lack of.

the iPod Classic is not compatible with the Hugo,hth

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #402 of 1,858

Hello Sexy...
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #404 of 1,858
Oh my god that's beautiful.
I want one.
Sadly I just bought one 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #405 of 1,858
one-off at the moment.... hopefully we might see a ltd-ed soon but that'll only happen if JF is satisfied with the finish.

there's some serious casework going on, the colour is embedded into the aluminium by a special process, that Hugo is stunning in the hand believe me... don't ask me for a release date as I'm still not sure if it's a goer & JF wouldn't commit, hth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back