Chord Electronics - The Shard Event
Oct 10, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #166 of 481
I really don't think it is a Dap as Rob has stated more times than once in the last year that they are not doing it. It is not their specialty, the software development for any dap or transport from the ground up is just too prohibitive without a history like Fiio or A&K, plus John and Rob has been running from show to show ever since the introduction of Chord Hugo. I just don't think they have that kind of time to do something from ground zero.

great post though a small point if'n I may... there's a great Team of engineers at Chord led by Matt, just because John & Rob have been sauntering around the world sampling different cocktails doesn't mean product development stops... I have few more curved-balls then I'll have to seek out Brunel...
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #167 of 481
Oct 10, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #168 of 481
great post though a small point if'n I may... there's a great Team of engineers at Chord led by Matt, just because John & Rob have been sauntering around the world sampling different cocktails doesn't mean product development stops... I have few more curved-balls then I'll have to seek out Brunel... :wink_face:  

I don't mean to imply or suggest that Chord Electronics is a one or two men show. But you have to agree that John and Rob are the brains behind Chord regardless of how many other engineers they may have in the company. Otherwise they would have showcase that person along with John and Rob or at least we would have heard from that person on these forums. An expert always goes back to his root when they come up with something games changing, something inspiring, or some breakthrough. A great chef will not come up with a great car design, or a great ballet dancer will not come up with a great architectural master piece and Rob will not come up with a game changing cable design or headphone design. He will go back to his root as a Dac designer, he will find new ways to shape a sound in a minimalist way. This is what he aspire to. People are motivated by success and Hugo's success is a big motivator to John and Rob to do even better than Hugo, to show us that they can push the envelop even further. Dave may be 100 times better than Hugo, but I bet Chord sell 100 times more Hugo than Dave or TT. For this mistery item, it's got to have something to do with Dac, whether it is a new implementation of some designs or some breakthrough in hardware, I don't know but I know I shouldn't be too far off.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #169 of 481
just because John & Rob have been sauntering around the world sampling different cocktails... :wink_face:  

For my benefit, I hope John and Rob will shape the sound of Hugo to my liking before the different cocktails shape their Brain :wink:)

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #170 of 481
I don't mean to imply or suggest that Chord Electronics is a one or two men show. But you have to agree that John and Rob are the brains behind Chord regardless of how many other engineers they may have in the company.

Just a technicality, but isn't Rob basically a freelancer and not even an employee of Chord's?

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #171 of 481
Just a technicality, but isn't Rob basically a freelancer and not even an employee of Chord's?

I really don't know the business relationships between Rob and John or Rob and Chord. But it seems like to me that John is an entrepreneur and Rob is a romantic in digital sound engineering. If Hugo is a biproduct of them then they live in a symbiotic relationship in that they need each other for continuing success. If they can produce another game changing product, their continue success will define the meaning of their relationship.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #172 of 481
I don't think you know what's coming . These taps improve the timing and with good noise shaper make the depth extremely natural and Rob never heard anything like dave before . So he will keep bushing his elements to their limit while other guys will try to develop hugo 2 but with dap . So mr : Rob light the road while others keep following his footsteps .
I will say it in positive way I hope they didn't get that much hype so they will be more humble and put their products with reasonable price
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #173 of 481
I really don't know the business relationships between Rob and John or Rob and Chord. But it seems like to me that John is an entrepreneur and Rob is a romantic in digital sound engineering. If Hugo is a biproduct of them then they live in a symbiotic relationship in that they need each other for continuing success. If they can produce another game changing product, their continue success will define the meaning of their relationship.

John & Rob... hmmm a good analogy is that they go together like eggs & bacon, if that doesn't suit try chocolate ice-cream and strawberries... no matter which it's a tasty combination that delivers...
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #174 of 481
This will be exciting.  Can't wait to see what is coming from Chord!

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #175 of 481
Count me in, I can also see the Shard from my Office.

Dave has only just come out, TT is still in its infancy, so it isn't going to challenge those two products. We have the Hugo, and it won't be an Amp to degrade the sound quality, so I reckon it's a streamer, using TAP technology to improve the sound especially if you are steaming lossy music

Oct 10, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #176 of 481
great post though a small point if'n I may... there's a great Team of engineers at Chord led by Matt, just because John & Rob have been sauntering around the world sampling different cocktails doesn't mean product development stops... I have few more curved-balls then I'll have to seek out Brunel... :wink_face:  

Hugo and Rob have achieved cult status following, we like chord but we like Rob more.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #177 of 481
From the What Hi-Fi article on DAVE:

The press release also points out that the specifications include two ultra-high-speed digital coaxial outputs, for "future, unannounced Chord Electronics products". We wonder what those could be?

(For full article see here: http://www.whathifi.com/news/chord-electronics-launches-new-dac-called-dave)

Might this be the first of these products? If yes, we at least know that it will have a coax in.
smile.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #178 of 481
Dave isn't portable, I don't see how Dave can change the game when the top 1% can afford it.

With saying this this product has to be affordable.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #179 of 481
Ok, with everyone guessing, I'm throwing out there that it's a smaller dac with built in flashlight, compass, and bottle opener.

Oct 10, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #180 of 481
Since this thread is spinning its wheels (entertainingly) anyway, can I inject a newbie question? Is a "tap"'an actual physical thing? If I looked at the chip in my Hugo under a microscope, could I see thousands of little cute taps?

Currently listening to Brian Ferry's Avonmore (amazing mastering) on my AK/Hugo stack with some IE800s at a cafe in Kyoto, wondering how all these other people can stand to exist without sonic bliss on tap....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back