Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Feb 7, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #6,661 of 6,741
I recently had a Qutest to my setup, was definitely a good purchase, but I’m using the stock power supply and seems very unanimous along this thread that the benefits from a better power supply are easily noticeable, so I’m looking at both ifi power X and Elite, my question if it’s worth to buy the elite has price his 3x higher, anyone tried both with Qutest that can share the experience?

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #6,662 of 6,741
For the record, my take on the CHORD QUTEST sound character is:

EXTREMELY REVEALING WHILE REMAINING EXTREMELY NEUTRAL.

To our ears, the QUTEST does not have a soft or warm sound, but lacks the brightness and aggression of many lesser DACs.

We run ours in an all-tube rig, and a warm and soft sonic presentation would be a complete mismatch.

Feb 8, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #6,666 of 6,741
Is it possible that a device that is 6 years old has never received a firmware update? Maybe some explanation was given? Mine is just a curiosity
Maybe it was completed fully when it was done? 😂. In the past devices didn't need any firmware updates, this became a crutch later and companies released faulty, unfinished devices. Rob appears to obsess on fully finishing the devices he creates. Look at the PS Audio DACs, it seems they update them a ton.

Feb 8, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #6,667 of 6,741
Hi,

I have a cosmetic issue with my qutest : the black metal color is slightly fading…has someone experienced that ?
I did not have that with my Chord gear, but it's anodizing quality issue.
A lot of audio gd (which I owned in the past) products looks the same after some time while being disposed to sunlight.
In my case it was not direct sunlight, still black color was shifting towards this purple/grayish

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #6,669 of 6,741
I recently had a Qutest to my setup, was definitely a good purchase, but I’m using the stock power supply and seems very unanimous along this thread that the benefits from a better power supply are easily noticeable, so I’m looking at both ifi power X and Elite, my question if it’s worth to buy the elite has price his 3x higher, anyone tried both with Qutest that can share the experience?
You could consider a Topping P50 linear PS, too...

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #6,670 of 6,741
Hey everyone,

I've been diving deep into the discussions around how the Qutest DAC performs with different power supplies. However, I've hit a bit of a wall when it comes to finding any detailed comparisons or insights on how it pairs with the Chord Anni and its 5V DC output. Specifically, I'm interested in understanding how the choice of power supply, particularly using the Anni's output, influences the Qutest DAC's sound quality, focusing solely on the DAC audio output characteristics rather than the general synergy between DAC and amplifier.

Do any of you have experience with using both the Qutest and Anni (the latter also as a power source), and have you tried experimenting with different power supplies to note any changes in sound quality?

And, if we're lucky, maybe Mr. @Rob Watts or someone with direct insights into the design and engineering aspects could chime in with some wisdom? It would be fascinating to get a deeper understanding from the technical side of things.

Thanks a bunch for any input you guys might have!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #6,671 of 6,741
Hey everyone,

I've been diving deep into the discussions around how the Qutest DAC performs with different power supplies. However, I've hit a bit of a wall when it comes to finding any detailed comparisons or insights on how it pairs with the Chord Anni and its 5V DC output. Specifically, I'm interested in understanding how the choice of power supply, particularly using the Anni's output, influences the Qutest DAC's sound quality, focusing solely on the DAC audio output characteristics rather than the general synergy between DAC and amplifier.

Do any of you have experience with using both the Qutest and Anni (the latter also as a power source), and have you tried experimenting with different power supplies to note any changes in sound quality?

And, if we're lucky, maybe Mr. @Rob Watts or someone with direct insights into the design and engineering aspects could chime in with some wisdom? It would be fascinating to get a deeper understanding from the technical side of things.

Use a battery like a cell phone battery block, you can plug in a USB cable and then connect the Qutest, then compare that to the stock power supply, if you want to go further compare that to an Ifi power X supply, you will hear thar the differences are minimal, I tried them all. If you go down the Power Supply rabbit hole it will drive you crazy 😂.

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #6,672 of 6,741
Hey everyone,

Have a read on the Audio Bacon site for linear power supplies, it lines up with my experience. I'm currently using an Uptone LPS 1.2 which is a refined sounding power supply; if I switch to the JS-2 the Qutest is (too) energetic. If I were to get another LPS for the Qutest, I'd look to https://www.plixirpower.com. Would recommend you try a USB cleaner, as I found this has a larger impact on sound quality than a streamer.

Will also mention the Qutest is superb value for the money. Natural tone, clean, slightly bright (not harsh) with the edges slightly rounded.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #6,673 of 6,741
Thank you for your reply! Seems like the general consensus is that a linear supply would probably provide improvement. What's intriguing for me though is how Anni as a power source compares to the other power options. But apparently there aren't too many people that pair their Qutest with Anni.
In the meantime I will try to use my cognitive bias to convince myself that what I have right now provides optimal sound quality for my tastes. Ha-ha, right?!

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #6,674 of 6,741
Thank you for your reply! Seems like the general consensus is that a linear supply would probably provide improvement. What's intriguing for me though is how Anni as a power source compares to the other power options. But apparently there aren't too many people that pair their Qutest with Anni.
In the meantime I will try to use my cognitive bias to convince myself that what I have right now provides optimal sound quality for my tastes. Ha-ha, right?!
I use my Qutest in combination with a Plixir BDC 2A LPS and a Statement cable. It's a serious investment compared to the cost of the Qutest. I "feel" like the improvement would quantify to 5% improvement. Maybe 7-8% on certain music genres where dimensionality to the stage/vocals and transients really matter. But in no way did I feel it was a profound upgrade. It's very subjective and vulnerable to a placebo effect. I equate a 5% improvement to the word "slight" in qualitative terms.

Female vocals (esp. jazz) would be where I would start to say yep, here's where it sounds like something is slightly improved. Classical music is next.

YMMV

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #6,675 of 6,741
I use my Qutest in combination with a Plixir BDC 2A LPS and a Statement cable. It's a serious investment compared to the cost of the Qutest. I "feel" like the improvement would quantify to 5% improvement. Maybe 7-8% on certain music genres where dimensionality to the stage/vocals and transients really matter. But in no way did I feel it was a profound upgrade. It's very subjective and vulnerable to a placebo effect. I equate a 5% improvement to the word "slight" in qualitative terms.

Female vocals (esp. jazz) would be where I would start to say yep, here's where it sounds like something is slightly improved. Classical music is next.

YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back