Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Nov 22, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #6,574 of 6,775
I have been using the QUTEST for about 18 months now, on the stock power supply. I was curious to know what differences there might be in replacing the stock PS, if any. I have seen varying feedback from other posters on this thread and elsewhere.

I looked at units supplied by Audiophonics in France. They sell various types, including the LHY Battery type. In the end I went for one of their own manufactured units, the LPS25 (5V 2A 25VA). If it didn't make a difference, it wasn't the end of the world, financially. I could always use it elsewhere. I wasn't expecting much, as it is a relatively inexpensive unit at €79.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi...er-supply-usb-220v-to-5v-2a-25va-p-11364.html

However, I was somewhat surprised.

Over the stock PS, the sound was immediately brighter/clearer with noticeable benefits to the soundstage in both horizontal dimensions. Instruments are more sharply 'etched', as is their positioning on the stage. Bass also sounds a bit tighter with resulting greater impact.

Clearly, this is with my system and YMMV. Apart from this LPS, all the other units are powered through an isolating transformer. IMO it helps.

A recommended audition.

EDIT: They also make a 115v version, for USA brethren.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #6,576 of 6,775
I recently had cause to clean the buttons ... the micro-switches that are activated by the buttons are 'tiny' and I imagine over time they might lose some of their 'click'. How old is the QUTEST, if you know ?
I thought this was happening with my unit too but then I discovered that pressing the buttons from the front, not from above (say at 45⁰ angle), completely eliminates the problem (if it is one).

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #6,577 of 6,775
I thought this was happening with my unit too but then I discovered that pressing the buttons from the front, not from above (say at 45⁰ angle), completely eliminates the problem (if it is one).
One should not have to do that to make them work properly, IMO.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #6,578 of 6,775
I'm very tempted, is the Qutest's presentation less warm compared to that of the Mojo 2?
I would say no, it isn't warmer than MOJO2. It is more incisive, although the 4 filters help to fine-tune that in a subtle way.

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #6,580 of 6,775
I have been using the QUTEST for about 18 months now, on the stock power supply. I was curious to know what differences there might be in replacing the stock PS, if any. I have seen varying feedback from other posters on this thread and elsewhere.

I looked at units supplied by Audiophonics in France. They sell various types, including the LHY Battery type. In the end I went for one of their own manufactured units, the LPS25 (5V 2A 25VA). If it didn't make a difference, it wasn't the end of the world, financially. I could always use it elsewhere. I wasn't expecting much, as it is a relatively inexpensive unit at €79.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi...er-supply-usb-220v-to-5v-2a-25va-p-11364.html

However, I was somewhat surprised.

Over the stock PS, the sound was immediately brighter/clearer with noticeable benefits to the soundstage in both horizontal dimensions. Instruments are more sharply 'etched', as is their positioning on the stage. Bass also sounds a bit tighter with resulting greater impact.

Clearly, this is with my system and YMMV. Apart from this LPS, all the other units are powered through an isolating transformer. IMO it helps.

A recommended audition.

EDIT: They also make a 115v version, for USA brethren.
Be careful, often times this "sharpness" we like at first is actually RFI and EMI, all noise that adds an illusion of detail. Rob Watts has spoken about this several and I have also come to find this issue with some power supplies.

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #6,581 of 6,775
I hear what you (and Rob) say ... I don't think I'm hearing an 'illusion of detail' ... and maybe 'sharpness' is the wrong description. I am hearing nuances on well-known recordings I didn't hear so clearly before and with more precision on the stage. It's noticeable.

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #6,582 of 6,775
Be careful, often times this "sharpness" we like at first is actually RFI and EMI, all noise that adds an illusion of detail. Rob Watts has spoken about this several and I have also come to find this issue with some power supplies.
Yes but not with a allo shanti, ifi or farad, or even a sbooster. The psu that comes with the qutest is NOT good enough. And he damn knows it! But will never admit it.

My experience with beter psu, is a more smoother sound. So not sharpness.

Burson for example already gives you a decent psu, but better psu is available. The qutest is delivered with a sad sad psu

And I am already in the park of very very sceptical regarding tweaks in hifi

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #6,583 of 6,775
Hello! Has anyone upgraded from the Mojo 2 to the Qutest? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks
Hi there! I have been using Mojo2 for a while in my desktop setup and bought qutest recently.
I should say the purchase is worthwhile. I am not that articulate in describing sound, but IMHO everything is improved.
It is more enjoyable to listen to my desktop setup with the qutest for sure.

Hope it helps.

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #6,584 of 6,775
I've noticed the RCA's are a bit dodgy on my unit from eBay, perhaps not the bargain that I originally thought :frowning2:, moved the unit and it started cutting out on the left channel, putting mild pressure on jacks results in the audio cutting out on both jacks, oh well, one good thing though, I know I like it now, a lot, quite an improvement over the Mojo 2 which was surprising, only using the original iPower adapter so very intrigued as what a good linear PSU could do, after this issue I'm half tempted to get one new with warranty tbh.

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #6,585 of 6,775
I've noticed the RCA's are a bit dodgy on my unit from eBay, perhaps not the bargain that I originally thought :frowning2:, moved the unit and it started cutting out on the left channel, putting mild pressure on jacks results in the audio cutting out on both jacks, oh well, one good thing though, I know I like it now, a lot, quite an improvement over the Mojo 2 which was surprising, only using the original iPower adapter so very intrigued as what a good linear PSU could do, after this issue I'm half tempted to get one new with warranty tbh.
You could try to let it fixed, if it is a bad connection on the mainboard it is easily and cheaply fixed, if it is the rca

Users who are viewing this thread

Back