Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Aug 4, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #6,406 of 6,740
Some people believe switching power supplies are actually better if the filtration is done properly in the device its self. Only problem im aware of is that the SMPS can leak junk back in to the power line.
Dont think using a LPS will rid Qutest of switching activity noise.

Qutest uses 3 switching DC-DC circuits internally: 5v > +/- 12v > +/- 8v to its OP stage and converts to 1v for its FPGA.

Thats alot of noise to be filtered already but on known frequencies which Rob did.

The stock PSU filter blocks random mains noise to enter Qutest.. but kicks its own switch noise back into the mains which an amp can pick up.

Using headphones i would try a battery operated amp isolated from the mains.

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #6,408 of 6,740
The included power supply is woefully inadequate in one very important aspect (to me). There is no power switch. I get the whole leave SS equipment on indefinitely for thermal equilibrium and best performance schtick. But it's nice to be able to power off equipment, for whatever reason, without having to resort to physically unplugging it like some barbarian.
I totally agree, that’s the most idiot of the whole device, no power off switch. Even when it was launched we were living in a world where saving the environment en saving energy was already a hot topic. And then you launch a device without a switch?

Don’t get me wrong I love the qutest for it’s musicality, but what a idiot decision design wise.

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #6,409 of 6,740
I totally agree, that’s the most idiot of the whole device, no power off switch. Even when it was launched we were living in a world where saving the environment en saving energy was already a hot topic. And then you launch a device without a switch?

Don’t get me wrong I love the qutest for it’s musicality, but what an idiot decision design wise.
It really frustrates me not being able to turn it off. I used a Qutest in a small room that I sleep in and even on dim in lights up the room when trying to sleep. When I had mine off I would turn it off via a surge protector. I got a TT2 a few months ago and love that it has a power button and a remote. As much as I’d like to add an M Scaler, one major hesitation for me is that it can also not be turned off. So I’d be back where I started. I’ve considered getting one and covering the lights w tape but I shouldn’t have to do that for such an expensive piece of equipment.

So yeah…I certainly concur with you. Hopefully with whatever they do in future models or new products will follow suite w the TT2 in that regard.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #6,410 of 6,740
There are more options, I personally likes tje allo shanti a lot. But sbooster is a good choice to, they both change the sound signature and detail in a positive way but in a different direction.
https://allo.com/sparky/shanti.html is this the psu? Do I use 5V 3A out for the Qutest? Also what are the two directions the shanti and Sbooster differ?

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #6,411 of 6,740
https://allo.com/sparky/shanti.html is this the psu? Do I use 5V 3A out for the Qutest? Also what are the two directions the shanti and Sbooster differ?
The 1A is perfectly good for the Qutest. The manual says it requires a minimum of 1A and the Shanti output is rated at 1.2A. I have been using it that way for some while now as the 3A is powering my Pi4. If it just to power the Qutest, then either will be fine.

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #6,412 of 6,740
usb-micro-b-cable-with-switch_1.jpg

😴 how many times is the theres no switch fact mentioned..

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #6,413 of 6,740
Yes that is the psu, some say the 1A is cleaner than the 3A output, but I have not heared any difference, the qutest only need 0,8 A so both are fine.

The difference, the allo shanti keeps real space around instruments, gives a 3d image because of that. Some say it lacks bass, certainly not, but it is a proper clean bass. I would say it is technically better sounding, playing from it’s capacitor (almost battery like)

The sbooster has a little smoother sound, little more bass. You could say more forgiving, there is where the benefit stops in my opinion. Because of that smoothness, bass bleeds into the mids, pushing away all the air, sparkle in the music. Instead of a voice can be pinpointed in space, now it is right in front of you, removing al 3d space and depth.

They are both not bad ofcourse, it depends what you are looking for.

I do think the allo shanti is more as the chord dac is intendes, the sound signature is the same as the stock, but every just lifted up in quality, cleaner, sharpness gone, detail lifted up, better in any way possible than stock.

And I actually thought I would go the sbooster way, but kept going back to the allo shanti, beeing annoyed missing the 3d stage and background details. I don’t know how the sbooster works and why many people like it, I really hated it.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #6,415 of 6,740
It works but there should have been a switch on the qutest, you have to agree on that
It didnt bother me when i had the Qutest, i just placed a simple inline switch and enjoyed the music.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #6,416 of 6,740
Is there a review comparing the Qutest to the Gustard A26? Having a hard time deciding between the two..

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #6,417 of 6,740
Is there a review comparing the Qutest to the Gustard A26? Having a hard time deciding between the two..
I think that is a hard one, I haven not read reviews between them, but seperate reviews and they are both very good. I think they both their good and bads, de gustard a little smooth sounding, more towards tube like (but a little less detailed). The qutest really clean (still very smooth, but not as smooth as the gustard). best you can do is try to find a shop that sell both, order them and test (and keep the one you like). My experience is that after 1 or two days listening you know, just a 20 minute auditing in a shop is not enough for me personally.

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #6,419 of 6,740
Anyone tried Van den Hul The D-102III 3T hybrid rca with qutest and Would give impressions? :)

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #6,420 of 6,740
Anyone tried the Teddy Pardo MiniTeddy psu with the Qutest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back