Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jul 13, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #6,376 of 6,743
Does anyone have experience with adapters like this for getting the Qutest to feed into an XLR input for their amp?
1689288537420.png

Jul 13, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #6,377 of 6,743
I think adapters run the RCA to hot and ground but leave the 3rd pin open so you wouldn’t be taking advantage of the balanced circuitry. There are converters or transformers that actually output a true balanced signal. You could get a Schiit Lokius and also have the option of EQ as well as converting SE to true balanced when active.

Jul 14, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #6,379 of 6,743
I don’t think that adapter will even fit the Qutest the pair of RCA plugs too close together.
The adapter goes to the amp side, and the Qutest will still be an RCA cable. Qutest > RCA cable > adapter > amp.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #6,380 of 6,743
Does anyone have experience with adapters like this for getting the Qutest to feed into an XLR input for their amp? 1689288537420.png
I have used those a few times and they work fine. They send the negative pin to ground, if you want to go to truly balanced you need a transformer or active components.

Anyways, it should work fine with most amps.

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #6,381 of 6,743
I have used those a few times and they work fine. They send the negative pin to ground, if you want to go to truly balanced you need a transformer or active components.

Anyways, it should work fine with most amps.
Going from single ended to balanced is impossible. Balanced means you have a ‘-‘ signal and ‘+’ signal, both audio signals opossite of each other, the measurement between that is the audio signal, ground is not used for the audio signal transfer.

With single ended , you have ground and a ‘+’ audio signal. That’s why with single ended there is a bigger change of noise, unless the amp or dac is build decently.

Be carefull using those converters between preamp and opamps, going single ended to balanced etc… not all amps like that, like Burson.

Jul 19, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #6,384 of 6,743
The adapter goes to the amp side, and the Qutest will still be an RCA cable. Qutest > RCA cable > adapter > amp.
I see so I guess preamp does not have single ended inputs. I use Qutest w/ Jeff Rowland integrated w/c is fully differentially balanced design would be interesting if this approach performs better than simple RCA connection.

Jul 19, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #6,385 of 6,743
I see so I guess preamp does not have single ended inputs. I use Qutest w/ Jeff Rowland integrated w/c is fully differentially balanced design would be interesting if this approach performs better than simple RCA connection.
In the amp I was specifically using this for, it performed better as it bypasses an internal unbalanced to balanced connection which adds noise. Unsure for other cases however...

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #6,387 of 6,743
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #6,389 of 6,743
Jul 28, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #6,390 of 6,743
For those interested in a little bit of a look at Chord's backstory, DMS, Andrew, Taron and I visited Chord in Maidstone shortly before heading to Munich this year and a video is up with some interviews and a bit of a look inside their factory.
Their location has easily got to be the most characterful production location I've visited. Thanks to Chord for inviting us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back