Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Aug 3, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #1,862 of 6,743
Am I correct to believe the warranty is 3 years for parts and labour? Would repairs be possible after warranty (at a fee)?

Warranty periods for products are as follows:- Mojo/Poly is 12 months... Hugo2, HugoTT & Qute/Qutest is 3 years... pretty much everything else is 5 years.

The Warranty period is the same worldwide but the warranty is only valid in the region of purchase - i.e. you need to return your product to the retailer where it was purchased to get a warranty repair.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #1,863 of 6,743
Anyone else had the chance to compare optical vs coax?I might be able to test it through the weekend...
Hi Sir,
I have the Qutest and I run it off my SP1000 as source, my setup being, PC or SP1000>Qutest>Sumaudio HAD430>Abyss Phi CC. I also have the iUSB Nano and idefender and a ipurifier in the line. My USB from iUSB Nano to Qutest uses the Gemini Dual Head cable.

From PC to iUSB I use Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable. From SP1000 I use a ifi OTG to hook up to the iUSB or I use a Chord optical cable.

Frankly, there is hardly any audible difference between the Optical or the USB connection. I can happily live with both forms of connection. But I now prefer Optical, as there is a slightly better warmth to the sound and also its so simple to hook up when I am using my SP1000 as source. My PC does not have a optical out. (Don't think computers have one).LOL

Hope this helps. I was actually thinking of adding a itube from ifi to see if I can get a slightly warmer sound. But I think its not really required now that I discovered that Optical is a better connection using my SP1000. (Thanks to Rob, saved a few quints).

Please feel free to add any comments as I am on a learning curve. Thank you.

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #1,864 of 6,743
Hi Sir,
I have the Qutest and I run it off my SP1000 as source, my setup being, PC or SP1000>Qutest>Sumaudio HAD430>Abyss Phi CC. I also have the iUSB Nano and idefender and a ipurifier in the line. My USB from iUSB Nano to Qutest uses the Gemini Dual Head cable.

From PC to iUSB I use Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable. From SP1000 I use a ifi OTG to hook up to the iUSB or I use a Chord optical cable.

Frankly, there is hardly any audible difference between the Optical or the USB connection. I can happily live with both forms of connection. But I now prefer Optical, as there is a slightly better warmth to the sound and also its so simple to hook up when I am using my SP1000 as source. My PC does not have a optical out. (Don't think computers have one).LOL

Hope this helps. I was actually thinking of adding a itube from ifi to see if I can get a slightly warmer sound. But I think its not really required now that I discovered that Optical is a better connection using my SP1000. (Thanks to Rob, saved a few quints).

Please feel free to add any comments as I am on a learning curve. Thank you.
Thank you for your detailed answer,my friend.The thing is I use a CD transport only and I want to compare the coaxial vs the optical input.

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #1,865 of 6,743
20180803_191014.jpg

I just received the Qutest. Will connect it to the Sony Hap Z1-ES HDD transport tomorrow.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,867 of 6,743

I just received the Qutest. Will connect it to the Sony Hap Z1-ES HDD transport tomorrow.
Enjoy!

No worries sir, we are to exchange views. But personally, I am so glad I stumbled upon Rob's recommendation to go the optical route. Have a good weekend.
Of course!You too!

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,868 of 6,743
In the process...15333118480284862290724065190330.jpg Update!After about 2 hours of testing,I have my results.Anyone else in the works who wants to post his findings before I polarize the outcome?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #1,869 of 6,743
Thank you for your detailed answer,my friend.The thing is I use a CD transport only and I want to compare the coaxial vs the optical input.

Hi, I primarily use a Cyrus CD Xt Signature CD Transport (highly rated and mid high end at £1750) into a Hugo 2 in an amp and speaker system. I originally used coax but prefer Optical as per recommendation from Rob W. I use a cable from sysconcept.ca but would recommend kabeldirekt as I hear great reviews (and Rob W has himself said he liked their overall quality but he referred to another type of cable), and they are very cheap (high value). Why not try one as i doubt you need anything more fancy/expensive! Just a recommendation... Coax seem to give more detail (more open sound) than optical but to me that is not worth it in terms of overall musicality and warmer sound of optical. Remember to not have the coaxial in place when comparing. Hope that helps.

Edit: I also hear great reviews of QEDs glass optical cable and you may want to listen and compare kabeldirekt to that once (when!) you decide optical is best, but to me sysconcept seem to have higher spec so I have not bothered - kabeldirekt will be excellent so don’t worry...) :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,870 of 6,743
The question I have is, from a technical perspective, since differences in jitter has no affect on the Qutest, and we know optical cables do not transfer or induce or attract noise, then what other property determines whether one cable is better than the other? Purely on that basis, a £5 cable off ebay should sound no different to a QED Reference Quartz or kabeldirekt. Or is it the transfer efficiency of cable including connector ? And how would that affect the pure data bits i.e. untimed information. And I wonder whether the quality of material and construction of the cable is being confused with its technical performance.

If someone who compared optical cables can explain their findings then it might help.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #1,871 of 6,743
The question I have is, from a technical perspective, since differences in jitter has no affect on the Qutest, and we know optical cables do not transfer or induce or attract noise, then what other property determines whether one cable is better than the other? Purely on that basis, a £5 cable off ebay should sound no different to a QED Reference Quartz or kabeldirekt. Or is it the transfer efficiency of cable including connector ? And how would that affect the pure data bits i.e. untimed information. And I wonder whether the quality of material and construction of the cable is being confused with its technical performance.

If someone who compared optical cables can explain their findings then it might help.
First read the section on optical cables, within the faq in post #3 of the mojo thread. The information is generic to all the dacs.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,872 of 6,743
Ok.After about 2 hours of testing yesterday with multiple instrumental tracks,it seems that optical has better depth layering and smoother instrument reproduction.The difference is very subtle and one has to listen carefully to notice it.

I didn't notice any brightness on the coax output vs optical,neither stage width reduction in optical,as some fellow members posted before.Also,detail seems to be exactly the same,if not better with optical.

The testing was done with ABA testing-A being optical-since I knew well the coax sound signature.

My optical cable is Belkin Ultimate series and is very well constructed.I don't think I would benefit from something else,would I?

I also have one problem now...My PS4 which I occassionally want to use through Qutest has only optical output.Is there an audiophile adapter to use to another input?

Latest edit.I noticed some dryness to the edges of brass organs and cymbals with coax.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #1,874 of 6,743
Could you please provide a link?
page https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/
section below

the info about
  • plastic v glass
  • end cap or no end cap
  • clear or scratched end cap
  • etc
is generic, and should be a first point of call, when trying to improve optical
no-one wants to experience the frustration of rushing out, and spending $200 on a cable, when the only thing wrong with the original cable was that the end cap had become dirty/lost etc.

(NB: please also view the videos section!)

IMPORTANT : It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the cable you are buying correctly fits the connectors on your equipment. None of these links are official endorsements.

1. Mojos optical input is a standard Toslink Optical socket. However, many DAPs have optical outputs using 3.5mm sockets, so PLEASE CHECK before buying an optical cable

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread/2880#post_12032024

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread/2265#post_12023214 (specifically to a Mac computer)

related (non-Mojo-specific) discussion about optical cables: www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread/2250#post_12023147

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #1,875 of 6,743
Whats that 768khz special operation mode on mojo for ?

I’ve seen that twice this morning, so whats up with the Spec Ops mode.

Is it for high speed special forces types so that they get to listen to, crystal clear music whilst shooting up mud hut villages.

If so, can I get some, get some, get some, get some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back