Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 30, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #1,531 of 6,743
That's an interesting post!

Have you tried ferrite on the power cord at first only?

Have you tried shielding the PSU?

Any close pics?

If you want to learn about ferrites.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

Now i use a shielded mains distribution block Supra Lorad MD06-EU
with rfi reduced by 40db.
But i need to place ferrites on the input cable lorad 2.5 Silver CS-EU

I choose:
Fair-Rite High Freq 61Material / Ferrite Fair-Rite BB Freq 43&44 Mat / Ferrite Fair-Rite Low & BB Freq 31 Mat / Ferrite

1000 ohm is a good value so with 5 of each i have enough.

The MD06-EU reduced acidity coming from RFI differentiel mode.
The ferrite on the cable open the space a lot: Common mode.

My Dave and my Hugo2 were polluted by my source Bryston BDP3. My Bryston was polluted with main and switch.
So i put ferrite on the RJ45 cable too.

I can explain more with PM.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #1,532 of 6,743
If you want to learn about ferrites.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

Now i use a shielded mains distribution block Supra Lorad MD06-EU
with rfi reduced by 40db.
But i need to place ferrites on the input cable lorad 2.5 Silver CS-EU

I choose:
Fair-Rite High Freq 61Material / Ferrite Fair-Rite BB Freq 43&44 Mat / Ferrite Fair-Rite Low & BB Freq 31 Mat / Ferrite

1000 ohm is a good value so with 5 of each i have enough.

The MD06-EU reduced acidity coming from RFI differentiel mode.
The ferrite on the cable open the space a lot: Common mode.

My Dave and my Hugo2 were polluted by my source Bryston BDP3. My Bryston was polluted with main and switch.
So i put ferrite on the RJ45 cable too.

I can explain more with PM.
Yes,please.I want to know more.Pm me so we don't hijack the thread.

May 30, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,533 of 6,743
Customers are not expected to follow every forum and read every interview, post, comment, review whatever out there!

Warranty voiding by using third party PSUs has to be written on product manual or official web pages (they don't even *have to* read web pages: it has to be on the manual that comes with the product itself)
This was the case for 2Qute but it is *NOT* for Qutest

That has been the case for all Chord DACS going back to Chord Qute days. Also, designer Rob Watts also recommends using it's own plug not a third party aftermarket psu on this thread as well. I forget what post # it was but it should be in the past few pages. He recommends not getting ANY aftermarket PSU but rather getting USB banks instead.

These aftermarket PSU's have been around Chord for a long time. They always made new ones everytime Chord came out with a new product. And it looks like there is aftermarket PSU going around for Qutest as well now. Same ole' story.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,534 of 6,743
That has been the case for all Chord DACS going back to Chord Qute days. Also, designer Rob Watts also recommends using it's own plug not a third party aftermarket psu on this thread as well. I forget what post # it was but it should be in the past few pages. He recommends not getting ANY aftermarket PSU but rather getting USB banks instead.

These aftermarket PSU's have been around Chord for a long time. They always made new ones everytime Chord came out with a new product. And it looks like there is aftermarket PSU going around for Qutest as well now. Same ole' story.

OMG!
Point was about voiding Qutest's warranty by using a third party PS, not about what people (or even RW) say about if using one is effective or not

Warranty voiding *has to be written on the papers that do come with the product* and for Qutest... it is *NOT*: full stop!!!

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #1,535 of 6,743
OMG!
Point was about voiding Qutest's warranty by using a third party PS, not about what people (or even RW) say about if using one is effective or not
Warranty voiding *has to be written on the papers that do come with the product* and for Qutest... it is *NOT*: full stop!!!

Well actually I don’t think it does have to be written on the papers that come with the product. The whole issue is about whether if a Chord product requires repair and if it is found to be due to an aftermarket PSU then are Chord entitled to refuse to repair under warranty? The chance of an aftermarket psu doing damage might be small but it is possible if the psu itself mal functions or is out of spec for the voltage supplied etc. In this case it is not about what is written in a manual because I think Chord will be entitled not to honour a warranty if the damage is caused by another manufacturers product just in the same way as if you had dropped the dac.

It’s that simple. No need to go looking for posts on here or what is written in the manual.

May 31, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,536 of 6,743
from 2Qute's User Manual (the printed one that comes with the DAC):
"Please ONLY use the power adapter supplied. Using an non-genuine power adapter may void your warranty."

Nothing alike on Qutest's

May 31, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #1,537 of 6,743
from 2Qute's User Manual (the printed one that comes with the DAC):
"Please ONLY use the power adapter supplied. Using an non-genuine power adapter may void your warranty."

Nothing alike on Qutest's

Yes, but you see my point. Using an after market PSU is your own risk if it is out of spec and damages the DAC. No one would expect Chord to honour a warranty in those circumstances no matter what. The risk is slim but it is there.

May 31, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #1,538 of 6,743
yes: obviously if one sends back under warranty, for repair/replacement, a fried DAC... :smile:

point is people keep saying, here, that warranty is voided by just using a third party PS even if it is in specs, whilst this is not, obviously, the case.
"May void your warranty" was written, in fact, on 2Qute's manual

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #1,539 of 6,743
I think you and I are at the same point now.

May 31, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #1,540 of 6,743
Back on track!

Has anyone used a goog transport around $1-1.5k and had better results than his previous CD player-transport?Did you hear a difference?

May 31, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #1,541 of 6,743
That's an interesting post!

Have you tried ferrite on the power cord at first only?

Have you tried shielding the PSU?

Any close pics?

Yes I did try ferrite on the power chord first but will not claim I heard a difference right away. It is when I did the whole lot including all cables to my source, that I noticed the improvement. Initially, I was listening to the background / quiet passages hoping they will somehow sound quieter but it was later that I realised that transients and dynamics had improved in clarity and impact. Now I could take out ferrites one by one to see where they helped most but not much value to me in the findings.

Not tried shielding because in my experience, if done incorrectly, aftermarket / retrofit shielding can make things worse and act as antennae. To clean up mains, I use tacima cs929 mains conditioners which definitely does its job.

A couple of pics taken in haste, you can just about see the ferrites on cables feeding Qutest as well as my source Digital player.
ferrites-on-qutest.1874610

9937934_l.jpg

9937935_l.jpg

ferrits-on-digital-player.1874611

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #1,542 of 6,743
Yes I did try ferrite on the power chord first but will not claim I heard a difference right away. It is when I did the whole lot including all cables to my source, that I noticed the improvement. Initially, I was listening to the background / quiet passages hoping they will somehow sound quieter but it was later that I realised that transients and dynamics had improved in clarity and impact. Now I could take out ferrites one by one to see where they helped most but not much value to me in the findings.

Not tried shielding because in my experience, if done incorrectly, aftermarket / retrofit shielding can make things worse and act as antennae. To clean up mains, I use tacima cs929 mains conditioners which definitely does its job.

A couple of pics taken in haste, you can just about see the ferrites on cables feeding Qutest as well as my source Digital player.
ferrites-on-qutest.1874610

Thanks. We always like pictures.

Just a note of caution about bending BNC and other coaxial cables as tightly as that. They are not designed for small radius bends and will inevitably be squashing the dielectric around the centre conductor and this in turn places the centre conductor closer to the sheath. This will have an effect on the cable performance and is not recommended. An inside bend radius of 5 or preferably 10 times the cable diameter is normally recommended.

May 31, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #1,543 of 6,743
Thanks. We always like pictures.

Just a note of caution about bending BNC and other coaxial cables as tightly as that. They are not designed for small radius bends and will inevitably be squashing the dielectric around the centre conductor and this in turn places the centre conductor closer to the sheath. This will have an effect on the cable performance and is not recommended. An inside bend radius of 5 or preferably 10 times the cable diameter is normally recommended.

That is a good point actually. I vaguely remember there was a min turn radius specified for this particular Belden 1694a cable and clearly I have over stretched the limits. Originally I had had it protruding further out resulting in a larger radius so might go back to that and forget about negative side cosmetic wise.

Edit: By the way I just read a post from Rob saying Ferrites are only recommended in differential signalling as in USB cables so not sure whether it was a good idea to loop my ethernet cable around ferrite. The one consolation I have is that I did run the network test on my digital player to confirm that it is still able to comfortably run the full bandwidth it expects and it did. As we are not worried about timing effects on Ethernet cables, I left it at that but if anyone has a different opinion/experience would be good to learn.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #1,544 of 6,743
That is a good point actually. I vaguely remember there was a min turn radius specified for this particular Belden 1694a cable and clearly I have over stretched the limits. Originally I had had it protruding further out resulting in a larger radius so might go back to that and forget about negative side cosmetic wise.

Would a right angle connector help or will that introduce a source of noise?

May 31, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,545 of 6,743
Would a right angle connector help or will that introduce a source of noise?

I tried a few cables and some seem to affect the sound for long runs ( somewhat in line with cable reviews out there ) so I made the decision I don't want a cable adding its own signature. There was a particular QED cable which I thought did not add anything and indeed the right angle matches that in performance but of course where is the reference in all these and the connector works for me as it also avoids long runs of analog cables to the rack so I have left it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back