Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 12, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,397 of 6,743
From the above statement, this what I understand. The Qutest has similar circuit as the Hugo 2 but with Mojo opamp stage...
Am I right?

The WTA filter and Pulse Array DAC seem to be the exact same as Hugo2 (only Rob can 100% confirm), but the OP stage is based off of the Mojo is how I understand it.

May 12, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,399 of 6,743
@Hummer25 Just got my second Croft 25R/7R combo for my latest Harbeth P3ESRs. Full circle and not sure why I left. Qutest arrives soon and hope it’s a good marriage. 20X2L to Audio Note SUT to the 25R is sublime. Ran the pre out to the HDV 820/HD800s. Wow x5. Would hope with one of the filters on the Qutest I’ll find a good match. The Dac out of the HDV 820 isn’t half bad.

Anyone hear the Sony SS-NA5ES?

May 13, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,400 of 6,743
^^Thank you.So,I might buy a new transport.

I am also a click away from buying Belden 1694A with Canare 75Ω RCA to Canare BNC.Your comparison would be crucial for me.

Hey man, I just compared the Optical vs. the RCA output from the Cambridge CXC transport, both sound good, but I prefer the RCA to BNC cable over the optical connection, seems to sound fuller and has a better soundstage. Not sure how much is down to the cables ( Oehlbach optical cable and Ghent Audio RCA to BNC 75 Ohm cable ) and how much is the connection type, but I think the RCA to BNC cable sounds better. Just my 2 cents... I don’t think you can go wrong with the Belden.

Also compared the 4 filters, with the CD’s I’ve tried I definitely prefered the White ( Incisive neutral ) filter, doesn’t sound too bright to me, just well extended and detailed. I’m using a tube amp, so that may do some high frequency filtering on its own. Haven’t tried high resolution files yet, tried to use a DVD player as a SACD player but can’t get any sound, not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,401 of 6,743
Hey man, I just compared the Optical vs. the RCA output from the Cambridge CXC transport, both sound good, but I prefer the RCA to BNC cable over the optical connection, seems to sound fuller and has a better soundstage, not sure how much is down to the cables ( Oehlbach optical cable and Ghent Audio RCA to BNC 75 Ohm cable ) and how much is the connection type. Also not sure if I would get the same result in a blind test, but I think the RCA to BNC cable sounds better. Just my 2 cents... I don’t think you can go wrong with the Belden.

Also compared the 4 filters, with the CD’s I’ve tried I definitely prefered the White ( Incisive neutral ) filter, doesn’t sound too bright to me, just well extended and detailed. I’m using a tube amp, so that may do some high frequency filtering on its own. Haven’t tried high resolution files yet, tried to use a DVD player as a SACD player but can’t get any sound, not sure what I’m doing wrong.
The result is as I expected.I don't think that the cables are the deal.I'm pretty sure it is the connection type!

Sacd won't deliver digital signal through Optical neither BNC.It is copyright issue.

May 14, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #1,402 of 6,743
Do YOU ( see I can use a condescending tone as well ) really believe they spend much on R&D for the power supply, if they did it wouldn’t look like this. They clearly picked one from a catalog, no need to reinvent the wheel when you have hundreds of models already available on the chinese market.

It is about R&D for the DAC. Any other manufacturer will have priced this level of DAC performance double what Chord is asking for IMO. Qutest is priced within reach of a wider audience. Anyway, Qutest is meant to be carrying better power regulation electronics so the stock supply is supposed to be adequate. We have been through this discussion many times but there is a possibility other components in the system could be susceptible to switch mode noise so another supply might be better suited in such cases.

I started off my journey in audio blindly following the norm - at one point I had separate Isotek power conditioners for individual monoblock amps plus a separate conditioner for the rack full of electronics connected to each other with shiny fat cables of different shapes. These days however, the Qutest feeds directly to active speakers and powered using two £30 Tacima CS947 power strips and this setup sounds significantly better that what I had. So I have learnt to put the pennies where it matters most.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #1,404 of 6,743
^^I totally agree.But is there a definitive answer if an aftermarket PSU helps Qutest sound better??

I haven't heard of anyone doing an exhaustive/repeatable test to check although some have reported they heard improvements with another power supply while some others reported they did not hear a benefit. Best option might be to try it out in your system and maybe return it within trial period if it makes no difference.

May 14, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #1,405 of 6,743
May 14, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,407 of 6,743

Users who are viewing this thread

• jcn3
Back