Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 27, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #466 of 6,743
You could sell your Mojo and some headphones (either the HD 650 or Elear; whichever you like less; I think the Elear lives up to its "super HD 650" reputation) to more easily afford it.

Ha, that's actually exactly what I'm doing. I just sold my T3, I'm putting up my Elear soon and keeping the HD-650. Then I'll sell the Mojo. I've ordered an iFi Micro iCan SE in the meantime to hold me over for amplification. Then later on I can upgrade my headphones and amp again.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #471 of 6,743
The point is, they have it for demonstration in their store, so it would be odd if they didn't let anyone purchase it yet. And I think I've seen other UK dealers that stock and sell it.

Being able to purchase one and actually walk out of the store with one are not the same things. I bought mine 11th January from my local store but I won’t get it until it comes out next month.

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #474 of 6,743
Well if a British head-fi member has got one then we’ll get an impression soon enough, won’t we? Again, being marked as “available” does not necessarily mean you can simply walk in, pay and walk out with a shiny new Qutest. As far as I know, members of the British public won’t get their hands on one until they come out next month. Of course, I could be wrong and those reviews and first impressions will come flooding in any second not. Sorry, I meant “now”.

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #475 of 6,743
TBH, I truly hope chord can do something with bluebird, because I believe in north america we are paying more than anywhere in the world for chord products. AND extremely expensive in canada seriously. (just to put it in perspective, a friend of mine was able to get a new chord dave in china for as little as under 7k usd brand new, which if i were to buy in canada the price after tax can get me as close as to buying TWO dave in china. Or for 2qute, as of today you can get it as low as under $680 usd brand new in china. So now you can imagine how much of a markup bluebird is making. To me that is far more than VAT imo which makes no sense at all. If qutest came out like super expensive in NA, in which could be enough a thousand dollar more than china, I think I will possibly just grap one on my next vacation then, because I saved more money on buying a ticket for the trip. LOL

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #476 of 6,743
TBH, I truly hope chord can do something with bluebird, because I believe in north america we are paying more than anywhere in the world for chord products. AND extremely expensive in canada seriously. (just to put it in perspective, a friend of mine was able to get a new chord dave in china for as little as under 7k usd brand new, which if i were to buy in canada the price after tax can get me as close as to buying TWO dave in china. Or for 2qute, as of today you can get it as low as under $680 usd brand new in china. So now you can imagine how much of a markup bluebird is making. To me that is far more than VAT imo which makes no sense at all. If qutest came out like super expensive in NA, in which could be enough a thousand dollar more than china, I think I will possibly just grap one on my next vacation then, because I saved more money on buying a ticket for the trip. LOL

I know what you mean...but are you sure those were authorized dealers in China?

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #477 of 6,743
I know what you mean...but are you sure those were authorized dealers in China?

Not only sure and I can say there were way too many of them, from local to online offers similar prices to each other. Authorized dealer as well. The friend of mine who bought the dave from sold at least a few in a month lol, and thats was just one that he knows of that was close to him which has both online and local shop. Since this is a successor of 2Qute thread, I would also like the mention something I found ridiculous. As before the launch of Qutest, I was actually trying to buy a used 2Qute, and have contacted quite a few on this forum or else where platform in north america. However I got pretty much no luck of even close to the price of how dealers in china which offers at least 30% less than those used but are new, though I couldnt buy it as they only use the chinese platform for sale for security reasons. However, they would likely to offer even better deal if i were to buy them in person. (which I would have saved more even including the ticket to china LOL)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #478 of 6,743
Not only sure and I can say there were way too many of them, from local to online offers similar prices to each other. Authorized dealer as well. The friend of mine who bought the dave from sold at least a few in a month lol, and thats was just one that he knows of that was close to him which has both online and local shop. Since this is a successor of 2Qute thread, I would also like the mention something I found ridiculous. As before the launch of Qutest, I was actually trying to buy a used 2Qute, and have contacted quite a few on this forum or else where platform in north america. However I got pretty much no luck of even close to the price of how dealers in china which offers at least 30% less than those used but are new, though I couldnt buy it as they only use the chinese platform for sale for security reasons. However, they would likely to offer even better deal if i were to buy them in person. (which I would have saved more even including the ticket to china LOL)

The UK price (including VAT) for the DAVE is £8,499. That's about $12,043 USD.

Even without VAT, that's like $10K, not $7K.

In other words, customers in China are getting far lower prices than customers in the UK despite Chord themselves being in the UK.

Sure, they don't have to worry about the 20% VAT in China, but they still have to deal with the costs of importing everything (and possibly other factors), so how is it under $7K instead of over $10K?

I smell something fishy.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #479 of 6,743
The UK price (including VAT) for the DAVE is £8,499. That's about $12,043 USD.

Even without VAT, that's like $10K, not $7K.

In other words, customers in China are getting far lower prices than customers in the UK despite Chord themselves being in the UK.

Sure, they don't have to worry about the 20% VAT in China, but they still have to deal with the costs of importing everything (and possibly other factors), so how is it under $7K instead of over $10K?

I smell something fishy.

Well then that fishy smell is something on the bluebird side. Because from what my friend told me, the distributor(there is only one in china I believe) he is super friendly and nice person.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #480 of 6,743
Well then that fishy smell is something on the bluebird side. Because from what my friend told me, the distributor(there is only one in china I believe) he is super friendly and nice person.

No, this has nothing to do with Bluebird or the US, nor does it have anything to do with how friendly and nice someone is.

I am talking about the fact that the DAVE is over $12K in the UK with VAT and ~$10K without VAT...so how is it under $7K in China? Surely if they were authorized dealers, this would not be allowed. If anyone has an answer, let me know. (And this applies to all Chord products. I just used the DAVE as an example.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back