Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 13, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #5,432 of 6,740
Hello,

I started using BNC cables as input to Qutest. (from MScaler) and noticed that any slight wobble of cable causes audio to be distracted / crack. I double checked and confirmed the cables are connected properly with snug fit. Is it the nature of BNC connection to be so sensitive to any movement?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #5,434 of 6,740
No, using moon audio silver dragon bnc cables.

Mar 14, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #5,435 of 6,740
Anyone using qutest in BNC inputs, do you experience what I am seeing -when the cable is even slightly physically touched say slightly lifted (not even near the socket but say right in the middle) it audio to crack/ distort? Makes me wonder if the physical socket of qutest is very sensitive , but making sure it’s not my cable or combination of both.

If the cable is not physically touched or moved even slightly there are no issues and audio seems fine but sometimes as I move things around in table it touches the cable and makes the connection go bad for few seconds and then works. Not sure if I need a isolation feet for the dac.

Any feedback much appreciated!

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #5,436 of 6,740
Anyone using qutest in BNC inputs, do you experience what I am seeing -when the cable is even slightly physically touched say slightly lifted (not even near the socket but say right in the middle) it audio to crack/ distort? Makes me wonder if the physical socket of qutest is very sensitive , but making sure it’s not my cable or combination of both.

If the cable is not physically touched or moved even slightly there are no issues and audio seems fine but sometimes as I move things around in table it touches the cable and makes the connection go bad for few seconds and then works. Not sure if I need a isolation feet for the dac.

Any feedback much appreciated!
Happens to me as well - just the heavy cables pulling on the socket. I set it in position and leave it. I have a hook on the wall that I wrap the cables around to support them so they won't pull on the socket, but yes, if I move my desk or the cables, same thing happens.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #5,437 of 6,740
Happens to me as well - just the heavy cables pulling on the socket. I set it in position and leave it. I have a hook on the wall that I wrap the cables around to support them so they won't pull on the socket, but yes, if I move my desk or the cables, same thing happens.
ra990,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! I was suspecting the weight of cable as well and good idea on supporting those cables. I might try using a hockey puck to support the cable and see.

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #5,438 of 6,740
hi all, just got myself a qutest, fed by a Bluesound Node 2i. Very impressed so far. A noticeable step up from the vanilla Node 2i, and excellent resolution of detail and voices, and yet very easy to listen to. So much so I'm now thinking of pushing it further - maybe a IFi power supply?

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #5,439 of 6,740
hi all, just got myself a qutest, fed by a Bluesound Node 2i. Very impressed so far. A noticeable step up from the vanilla Node 2i, and excellent resolution of detail and voices, and yet very easy to listen to. So much so I'm now thinking of pushing it further - maybe a IFi power supply?

I also had a Node 2i and found adding a Qutest to be a huge increase in sound quality. For me the next quantum increase in sound quality was to install a commercially available interface power board in the 2i instead of the factory SMPS and use an outboard LPS to power the 2i. Yes I did later use a third party power supply for the Qutest as well but you will be surprised at how much better you can make the 2i sound by changing its power supply. I don't know which country you are in but here in the UK the interface boards are on ebay from at least two manufacturers. Just search on ebay for 'Node 2i interface'.

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #5,440 of 6,740
Sorry to resurrect such an old post but did you have a preference when comparing the Spring vs the Qutest? I’m in that boat now. The Qutest definitely sounds more clearer than my old Bifrost but it won out on slam and tonality. It’s making me want to give a second look at the Holo and NOS Dacs in general like the Amethyst.

Can I ask how long you compared the Qutest to the Bitfrost.

I don't know the Bitfrost or it's value. Just that I am surprised to see a Qutest coming second on tonality. Must have been up against some serious DAC.

If a Chord DAC is listened to in a short comparison, sometimes it's qualities are not noticed. It can takea good long slisteing to be able to get into a Chord. It took me ages with each Chord DAC upgrade I had, to get fully accustomed.

Not being cheeky with you by the way, just saying.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #5,441 of 6,740

I don't know the Bitfrost or it's value. Just that I am surprised to see a Qutest coming second on tonality. Must have been up against some serious DAC.

If a Chord DAC is listened to in a short comparison, sometimes it's qualities are not noticed. It can takea good long slisteing to be able to get into a Chord. It took me ages with each Chord DAC upgrade I had, to get fully accustomed.

It takes a while to stop flinching in readiness for uncomfortable passages, then to realise that you have stopped flinching in readiness for those passages as they are no longer uncomfortable but instead just sound natural and smooth. Chip DACs are less 'digital' than they used to be but the Chord DACs take it to another level altogether.

After a while with a Qutest or Hugo2, it's tough going back to a chip DAC. Whenever I listen to my speaker system now, I have thoughts as to whether I should sell the ADI-2 DAC and get a Qutest instead. I can't face the faff of unplugging and detaching the Hugo2 from the headphone rig and connecting it up to the speaker rig every day but when I did, the sound was much easier to listen to with the Hugo2.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #5,442 of 6,740

The Qutest sounds brighter than the Bifrost by quite a bit - unpleasantly so. I also don't really care for D/S DACs as they sound too flat and not really lifelike. Qutest was impressive technically but didn't really do anything for me.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #5,443 of 6,740
It takes a while to stop flinching in readiness for uncomfortable passages, then to realise that you have stopped flinching in readiness for those passages as they are no longer uncomfortable but instead just sound natural and smooth. Chip DACs are less 'digital' than they used to be but the Chord DACs take it to another level altogether.

After a while with a Qutest or Hugo2, it's tough going back to a chip DAC. Whenever I listen to my speaker system now, I have thoughts as to whether I should sell the ADI-2 DAC and get a Qutest instead. I can't face the faff of unplugging and detaching the Hugo2 from the headphone rig and connecting it up to the speaker rig every day but when I did, the sound was much easier to listen to with the Hugo2.

I would get the Qutest. (I have a Qutest and Hugo 2, for virtually the same reason and other reasons.)

The Qutest sounds brighter than the Bifrost by quite a bit - unpleasantly so. I also don't really care for D/S DACs as they sound too flat and not really lifelike. Qutest was impressive technically but didn't really do anything for me.

The Qutest is not a bright DAC.

If it sounds bright there are reasons why.
1. Maybe a Coaxial cable is inducing RFI noise.
2. Partnering kit is bright.
3. You just didn't adjust to it yet. (Have explained a billion times. Not doing it again.)

EDIT: Short version. It takes some people a month to adjust to Chord DACs. Believe it or not they can sound thin, bright, and metallic at first: then they sound 'right' once listener adjusted. It's all the new detail that deceptively sounds bright at first. The adjustment process is often referred to as brain-burn-in.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #5,444 of 6,740
Bifrost is lot less transparent and it wont highlight flaws in your system like Qutest can.
Improve your chain and you will see it destroying Bifrost.
Try Optical or Usb Coming out from Smartphone and you will see how much smoother it can sound.

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #5,445 of 6,740

Users who are viewing this thread

Back